Cash on Hand

Twotoes

Please do not make this post political. With all that is going on in the world, especially the war in the Ukraine,  we need to be aware of the potential of cyber attacks against our banking systems. Even a cyber attack against our electric grid will shut down ATMs and credit/debit card use while shopping and getting fuel. Many stores and banks have backup generators but the internet may still be down and shopping will be on a cadh only basis. It may be good to get a small supply of cash to have at home for emergency use, especially if you are on the road or full time. I'm going to the bank today and withdrawing a few hundred dollars just in case. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We normally do carry some cash. Some we hide in the rv or truck. 

About two years I was looking in the back of the oven for something and found 500 bucks rolled up. It was up in the burner area. Oops.

Since we have a convection over the gas oven is for storage only.

Stay safe,    Vern

Edited by Wrknrvr

We keep a lot of canned food for our back-up.  That, and a lot of garden seeds.  All backed by guns/ammo.  Of course this is in our SnB, could not carry this much in an RV.  We could easily go 12 months or more without internet/banking/infrastructure.  My personal feeling is if we get hit hard electronically(cyber attack, etc), the (any country's)$$ won't be worth much anywayz.  Even if it retained some value, the cost of goods/gas, etc would be prohibitive and a couple gs hidden/on hand would not last long enough to get very far.  Another reason to have some pms hidden somewhere.  Along with all that, just incase banks are hit hard, I keep monthly print-outs of all our accounts for proof if banks loose their data.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

2 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

Another reason to have some pms hidden somewhere.

pms - Precious metals?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

3 hours ago, RV_ said:

pms - Precious metals?

Yes sir

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Howdy!

Cash is king! We carry cash and find that is very helpful if and when we need to pay for services such as mobile RV repairs and the like.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

28 minutes ago, LiveWorkDream said:

I'm not a prepper, but that seems smart considering the risk of cyber terrorism right now.

Same here as we usually each have some cash but rarely use it since our most used credit card rebates us 2% on everything. But this afternoon I stopped at a bank ATM and pulled out enough cash to buy groceries for a couple of weeks, just in case.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

When the COVID thing was just starting, right at two years ago, my wife read somewhere that it would be wise to have 6 months cash on hand.  Being the inquisitive type, I researched how much cash is in circulation in the USA.  At that time, it amounted to about $3,500/person.  Hardly enough for 6 months.

We keep considerably more than that stashed in several places.

My general rule when travelling, is to have a couple dollars for every mile we'll be away from home.  2,000 miles? have $4,000 in reserve.  When we get back home, I put it away until next time.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

13 hours ago, rickeieio said:

When the COVID thing was just starting, right at two years ago, my wife read somewhere that it would be wise to have 6 months cash on hand.  Being the inquisitive type, I researched how much cash is in circulation in the USA.  At that time, it amounted to about $3,500/person.  Hardly enough for 6 months.

We keep considerably more than that stashed in several places.

My general rule when travelling, is to have a couple dollars for every mile we'll be away from home.  2,000 miles? have $4,000 in reserve.  When we get back home, I put it away until next time.  

Good idea.  

With the way the world is right now, plus inflation, the value of the dollar is not likely to improve.  I also have a stash of gold and silver as my ultimate rainy day fund.

52 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

Posts like this are what make runs on things happen.  Like the toilet paper thing.

Got a ... poop load* of that too... hehehe.... sorry, couldn't resist.  Run on PMs already missed the boat, retailers I deal with can't hardly get any and are begging for ppl to bring it in, atleast in my neck of the woods.  $$ wise, atleast my bank, limits on what cash you can take out at one time, have for quite a while.  Anything much bigger than a k, they will order it for you, they don't keep large amounts on hand.  Atleast, that's what they told me.

2 hours ago, sandsys said:

So, you people feel comfortable talking about having large amounts of cash on hand while your signature lists your rig?

Linda

I do agree totally with that sentiment.  Could be dangerous identifying your rigs for large amounts of cash, etc.  This is why I have and suggest a bank safety deposit box, you can always get to it even during/after any sort of run/cyber attack, etc.  Cheap insurance, think of it like part of fund diversification. 

Edited by NDBirdman

3 hours ago, sandsys said:

So, you people feel comfortable talking about having large amounts of cash on hand while your signature lists your rig?

Linda

Yes, because as I posted, it's in several places, on multiple properties, none of which would be considered normal hiding spots.  Plus, our trailer hasn't moved in 11 months, and no money is in it currently.  Anyway, "large" is relative.  

I'm not paranoid.  I rarely lock a vehicle.  Perhaps I'm too trusting?  But, I am ready to take care of myself if the need arises.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

An old joke went "just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't after you!"  Whoever they are..

I keep a little "get out of town" cash in the safe, and try not to get to worked up about what Might happen. 

A run on the bank like the Bailey saving and loan... It could happen, but so could a lot of things I don't have any control over.  Solar Flare, earthquake in yellowstone caldera, eruption of Mt Reinier, locusts or dogs and cats living together.

Lets say, for discussion, that I have a 1 oz bar of gold and I'd like to barter for bread, milk and some cheese.  Would I shave off a couple of slivers of the bar as an exchange and call it even? How big of a sliver is too much?

I believe in preparing, but with moderation.  Unless you live in a cave with all the rations you need for a year (or more) ain't no one surviving if it comes to using nukes in Ukraine.

This too shall pass, if I'm wrong, welp, it was a fun ride.

Edited by franco-bolli
corrected spelling

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png                                             

I very much doubt that the banks will run out of money, even if every member of these forums were to pull out a few hundred dollars. I also doubt that there are many thieves monitoring these forums to see who has cash hidden somewhere in their RVs. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

As full timers we usually carry $3-5k cash in our RV. The thought is if we ever needed to abandon or repair the RV, we would have the option to pay cash for a used vehicle to get on down the road. I have considered having a bar of gold on board for a desperate negotiating backup plan if I ever needed to buy the last tank of fuel left in a given area from some real bad disaster. These would just be for worst case situations and if the cash were to get lost or stolen, it would not change my life any, but it might be a life saver if I ever need it!!

About 10 years ago, I needed a tow from a mud hole and the tow operator wanted $150 cash before he would hook up. Be prepared!

Edited by gjhunter01

We've had the pleasure of taking few unplanned maintenance stops.  Little things like a coolant fitting incorrectly installed at the factory popping out of the engine block on the Alaska Highway above Destruction Bay.  Having a few $100 bills can be pretty handy.  Neither credit cards nor cell phones worked.  I've lost track of the times I've slipped a service person a $100 tip.  They might remember me if I need them again.

And yes, when we went to Alaska, I followed my rule of $2/mile away from home.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

I also make it a point to have some smaller bills on hand ever since I read about the guy who needed to buy a bottle of water but only had $20 bills and the seller would not make change. 

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van