Cash on Hand

Twotoes

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it. 

I am right there with you,

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, packnrat said:

probely.

You need spell-check as it makes it look as though I knew how to spell most words! Mine ever capitalizes things and fixes most punctuation!  Makes me seem edjamacated. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Many higher-end RVs have a safe built in somewhere. Ours does. The safe has a card with one combination on it and a slip of paper with another. When we got the coach the safe was unlocked, and it is still unlocked. We use the space to store things that we want with us but don't really need to get to. I suppose I could take everything out of the safe, then lock it and try the combinations. If neither one works then we don't have a safe anymore. If one does work, then throw the other one away, and we can lock the safe as long as we remember where we put the combination. Or we can just leave it unlocked as we've done since 2013.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

1 hour ago, kb0zke said:

Many higher-end RVs have a safe built in somewhere. 

Keep in mind that a safe doesn't necessarily protect things if there's a fire.  A friend of ours had a 'fireproof safe' built in and had a fire destroy the MH.  Everything is that safe was ash when he was able to open it.  The fire didn't actually get to the safe but the heat of the fire destroyed the papers.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

43 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Keep in mind that a safe doesn't necessarily protect things if there's a fire.  A friend of ours had a 'fireproof safe' built in and had a fire destroy the MH.  Everything is that safe was ash when he was able to open it.  The fire didn't actually get to the safe but the heat of the fire destroyed the papers.

"Fireproof" safes are available with different ratings that refer to how high a temperature and for how long they withstand it while keeping the inner temperature below paper's flash point. The  Honeywell 1104 Document Safe we have in the bottom of a rear closet well away from the most common RV fire starting points is rated to keep the interior below 350 deg F for 1 hour at 1700 deg F. It also has a 100 hour waterproof rating. Obviously we hope to never test those ratings...

Edited by Dutch_12078
clarity

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On 3/20/2022 at 6:14 PM, kb0zke said:

Many higher-end RVs have a safe built in somewhere. Ours does. The safe has a card with one combination on it and a slip of paper with another. When we got the coach the safe was unlocked, and it is still unlocked. We use the space to store things that we want with us but don't really need to get to. I suppose I could take everything out of the safe, then lock it and try the combinations. If neither one works then we don't have a safe anymore. If one does work, then throw the other one away, and we can lock the safe as long as we remember where we put the combination. Or we can just leave it unlocked as we've done since 2013.

I purchased my Class A used and did not get the combination to the safe. I contacted the safe manufacturer and provided the Vin # and proof of purchase, along with a $10 payment. The manufacturer sent me a key to open the safe along with instructions on how to change the combination. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2022 at 10:03 AM, Twotoes said:

Please do not make this post political. With all that is going on in the world, especially the war in the Ukraine,  we need to be aware of the potential of cyber attacks against our banking systems. Even a cyber attack against our electric grid will shut down ATMs and credit/debit card use while shopping and getting fuel. Many stores and banks have backup generators but the internet may still be down and shopping will be on a cadh only basis. It may be good to get a small supply of cash to have at home for emergency use, especially if you are on the road or full time. I'm going to the bank today and withdrawing a few hundred dollars just in case. 

That’s always a great practice. We also have a stash of food and essentials. In addition to the current world situation there’s always natural disasters and such. 
I try to take out a hundred or so a payday and put it in a safe place for the day it will be needed.

I just received my Honeywell 1114 safe from Walmart.com $99.  which is about 9 to 10 lbs lighter than the 1104 and still has the 1 hour fire rating at 1700deg and 100 hour waterproof rating. If you look it up, you'll find that ETL and UL ratings are about equivalent.

I'm not really thrilled about the " leave the lid open for 1/2 hour every week" to acclimate the insides to the outside to help with any moisture build up. By the way, this requirement is in the 1104 model instructions as well.

I hope to combat this requirement with multiple dessicant bags inside.

I got the safe primarily in case of fire and the very unlikely situation of submersion. I am travelling through tornado alley in a month! I agree that it may not provide much in the way of security, but thieves would look pretty conspicous running away with a 40 lbs  brief case banging their sides.

I'll have cash on hand for many of the reasons pointed out by other posters.

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png                                             

Funny you mention desiccants.  I've been having issues with my hearing aides eating batteries, because of having sweat getting inside.  Each time it happens, my audiologist pops them in a little box to dry them, and charges me a hundred bucks,  so my wife thought putting them in a plastic bag with desiccant bags might help.

And since it's Easter, and my Dad used to joke about being old enough to hide his own Easter eggs, I thought it appropriate to say that in the past 24 hours, my wife and I have found $2,500 hidden in two different places.  Just our normal spots where we stash cash now and again, but we'd both forgotten last time......nice surprise!!!

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

7 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Funny you mention desiccants.  I've been having issues with my hearing aides eating batteries, because of having sweat getting inside.  Each time it happens, my audiologist pops them in a little box to dry them, and charges me a hundred bucks,  so my wife thought putting them in a plastic bag with desiccant bags might help.

And since it's Easter, and my Dad used to joke about being old enough to hide his own Easter eggs, I thought it appropriate to say that in the past 24 hours, my wife and I have found $2,500 hidden in two different places.  Just our normal spots where we stash cash now and again, but we'd both forgotten last time......nice surprise!!!

Amazon has hearing aid dryers starting at around $9.50. The cheapest ones are dessicant based and can be recharged quickly in a microwave:

https://www.amazon.com/hearing-aid-dryer/s?k=hearing+aid+dryer

Dutch

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Amazon has hearing aid dryers starting at around $9.50. The cheapest ones are dessicant based and can be recharged quickly in a microwave:

https://www.amazon.com/hearing-aid-dryer/s?k=hearing+aid+dryer

Yep, My wife had a bunch of desiccant packs that came in shoes.  I threw them in the microwave for a bit, then into a ziploc bag.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Yep, My wife had a bunch of desiccant packs that came in shoes.  I threw them in the microwave for a bit, then into a ziploc bag.

That should do it. My current rechargeable hearing aides seem to be sealed well enough that rain, sweat, etc, haven't been the problem they were with my previous replaceable battery pair.

Dutch

4 hours ago, rickeieio said:

So Rick, are you going to find where you stashed your hearing aids before leaving for the ECR?

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

9 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

So Rick, are you going to find where you stashed your hearing aids before leaving for the ECR?

I put them right here next to... no, under.....they're here somewhere.

I'm considering taking my departed Mom's nearly new units to the audiologist to be re-programed to my prescription.  They're the same as mine except rechargeable.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

My wife and I used to sing a little ditty:
"Head n shoulders, Knees and toes" that we used  with the kids to get them to exercise.

now we sing:
"Wallet, glasses, Keys and phone" before we leave the house...

Sorry, the lyrics really need the music to have it make sense..

Or repeating to yourself as you walk away from the car.

"lock the car, lock the car, lock the car" after you've locked the car to prevent that feeling,

"Oh my god, did I lock the car (or house)??"

But this is a bit off topic from the OP's post...😏

event.png                                             

6 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

At our ages, is ANYTHING on topic for more than 5 minutes before we forget what the topic was????

You're only as old as you act.  Growing old is a fact of life.  Growing up is optional.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

10 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

At our ages, is ANYTHING on topic for more than 5 minutes before we forget what the topic was????

Growing OLD isn't so bad. It's the crap that comes with it.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

I'm not as old as I used to be!

event.png