What towing insurance will tow a tandem axle truck?

mr. cob

Howdy All,

Long time since I have posted on this forum, life just kinda happens and gets in the way sometimes.  I have been paying Good Sam, for years thinking that they would tow my truck if needed, that's what I was told when I paid for it, now when I NEED IT, I find out they won't tow the truck.

I know I can't pay for a new towing insurance policy and then expect them to come tow my truck but I need to have something for the future.  Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

So you have been paying a company for a while who wouldn't do what you expected you paid for. Why run that risk again? Mobile mechanics or towing companies are available when you need them and you know they will at least do what you pay them to do at the time. JMHO

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Neither Good Sam nor Coachnet will tow tandem axle.  Saying that some folks with one or the other will tell you they have been towed with those services.  I have a long thread discussing towing insurance if you search this forum.  Discusses my less than satisfactory responses from these companies.  I now have Progressive Insurance on truck and trailer and added towing through Progressive.  Not ideal as Progressive will find a company that accepts their payment but it is filed as a claim which subjects me to rate increases or cancellation.  Remember Coachnet and Good Sams are “service contracts” NOT insurance and are not bound by the same rules as insurance contracts.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

10 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

it is filed as a claim which subjects me to rate increases or cancellation.  Remember Coachnet and Good Sams are “service contracts” NOT insurance and are not bound by the same rules as insurance contracts.

About a decade ago, I had a dead car battery, in a Lowes parking lot, and happened  to have towing coverage via my insurance.  A few years later, I checked a LexisNexis report and was surprised that it said I had filed a claim with my insurer (the jump in the parking lot).  I assumed that the potential increase in insurance premiums outweighed the value of the service.  So I dropped towing insurance.  But ...

A few years, and my insurance company (Amica) which I had for decades, raised my rate by 25%.  No claims or tickets for more than a decade.  I was irritated but just paid it. The following year, it went up another 30%.  No claims or tickets.  I complained and got the run-around.  So I found another provider that was much less expensive (Geico) for very similar coverage.

IMO, we're all subject to rate increases, whether or not we file small claims.  

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

15 hours ago, DanZemke said:

About a decade ago, I had a dead car battery, in a Lowes parking lot, and happened  to have towing coverage via my insurance.  A few years later, I checked a LexisNexis report and was surprised that it said I had filed a claim with my insurer (the jump in the parking lot).  I assumed that the potential increase in insurance premiums outweighed the value of the service.  So I dropped towing insurance.  But ...

A few years, and my insurance company (Amica) which I had for decades, raised my rate by 25%.  No claims or tickets for more than a decade.  I was irritated but just paid it. The following year, it went up another 30%.  No claims or tickets.  I complained and got the run-around.  So I found another provider that was much less expensive (Geico) for very similar coverage.

IMO, we're all subject to rate increases, whether or not we file small claims.  

You’re right Dan.  I should have said possible rate increases or cancellation.  I mentioned it because Miller Insurance (where we have our Progressive policy) wanted me to be aware of the possibility.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Our HDT was tandem and we had/have insurance thru Progressive.  We had to be towed once with the 5th wheel and it was a non-issue getting it done.  Tow truck arrived about 45 minutes after we called Progressive.  The cost of the tow was around $1200 if I had to pay out of pocket.

This past September we had to have our tandem rear axle motorhome towed.  No issue with Progressive but Progressive uses a 3rd party service for roadside assistance and towing.  We sat on the shoulder of a busy interstate for over 4 hours waiting on a tow truck that was only 15 minutes away.  The holdup was securing payment for the tow ($3400) before they would send the tow truck.

Neither of these events affected our premium.  Progressive has been insuring our RVs for the past 15 years and these are the only "claims" we have ever had with them.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

6 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Miller Insurance (where we have our Progressive policy)

At least you were able to get towing coverage for your dual axle HDT.  That could be very useful information for others.

Thanks for taking the time to share.  :rolleyes:

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

Howdy All,

I know people who had good sam, and DID have their HDT towed.  That said as I though I would need my truck towed I called the person that I knew for a fact had his HDT towed by good sam, only to find out that good sam does NOT do this anymore.

What really pisses me off is that I made it a point to ask good sam, if they towed HDT's that were converted to RV's and they said YES.  So for the last three years we have been paying for a service that is NOT offered.  That said in the last three years we have used good sam, for short tows of Donna's car to the local garage twice, had my Smart Car, opened when the battery went down and the electric locks wouldn't allow opening the door and had my bike towed so we did get our monies worth but now I am wondering what to do about getting the truck towed if needed.

I have had the truck and trailer insured through Progressive for the last years, never looked into their towing package as I "thought" that was covered by good sam.  I work with Miller Insurance, so I guess I should give them a call and see what they say.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Circling back to this, I just did the math......  We paid Good Sam $80/yr for 14 years, and the one time we needed a tow, they denied us.  14 yr x $80 = $1120, just double what we paid out of pocket when we got a tow in January.

I'm fine with self insuring.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net