Cash on Hand

Twotoes

I use cash a good bit, especially when at a mom/pop store.  Why, when I could be getting "rewards"?  Well, likely for the same reason some previous posters mentioned they don't shop Wal-Mart, etc.  Credit card fees are hard on small businesses, just as big box stores are killing small towns.  My local hardware store pays $14,000/month in fees to credit card companies.  Who do you think is paying for your "rewards"?  Well, in the long run, you are, because they need to charge more to cover that cost.  I often negotiate a nice cash discount on bigger purchases, and they remember me later.

Just this morning, my hvac guy came by to fix my humidifier on the furnace.  When he was done, I asked him how much.  He replied, "How's a hundred bucks sound?"  I handed him a Franklin and next time I need him, he'll put me near the top of his list.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

makes me wonder if Traveler's Checks are still an option to cash

That reminded me off the time I was on a city bus when a woman tried to pay with a traveler's check. She said she was told she could use them everywhere in the US.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

whats cash?

my wallet is empty. (been like that for a couple months) and only $12.usd in the bank.

maybe if i dig through everything here, I could come up with about $10.usd in coin.

tonight's tank of fuel went on the cc... again.   $160.USD for only 30 US gallons. (gets me through till monday).

but at least i do have some food to get me through a couple weeks including water.

being a "prepper" is only being prepared and is not a crime or a sin. it is just doing right.

14 hours ago, packnrat said:

being a "prepper" is only being prepared and is not a crime or a sin. it is just doing right.

I don't consider myself a prepper but I do tend to have a week's worth of food in the pantry and a fair amount of cash on hand plus I have a couple solar powered flashlights. Is that enough to call me a prepper?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We're not preppers either but we could last a few years here.  Lots of chickens, fried/grilled, lots of eggs, cattle/hog nearby, plenty of field rats (deer) walking about my place, large garden to can from, a few fruit trees.  Plenty of ammo/guns to protect or acquire sustenance.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

1 hour ago, NDBirdman said:

We're not preppers either but we could last a few years here.  Lots of chickens, fried/grilled, lots of eggs, cattle/hog nearby, plenty of field rats (deer) walking about my place, large garden to can from, a few fruit trees.  Plenty of ammo/guns to protect or acquire sustenance.

Grew on a farm, and ran that farm for the last 50 years.  We'll get by for a long time.  Canned goods?  Yes, but not metal cans.  Lots of Mason/Ball jars in our basement, and a walk-in pantry off the kitchen.  Just picked up a side of beef last week.

All of which is only remotely related to the topic.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

10 hours ago, rickeieio said:

All of which is only remotely related to the topic.

True, although I might be willing to do a little barter deal with you!   ☺️

I'm going to the bank today and withdrawing a few hundred dollars just in case. 

But this afternoon I stopped at a bank ATM and pulled out enough cash to buy groceries for a couple of weeks, just in case.

Yes, we pulled some extra cash out in case there are problems.

In these times we are going to increase cash available to about $1000.

Going back through the three pages it seems that at least 7 contributors do plan to keep some extra cash available with a pretty wide range in amounts. Since we are not presently traveling we will base our cash on hand amount on what we typically spend in total on necessities for a 2 week period. If things don't improve by the time that we start our travels I'll probably increase that amount to include fuel purchases.

Thanks to all who commented on the subject as posted by Twotoes!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

the question about where to keep this extra cash while traveling, hasn't come up yet.
I was considering suggesting that a hidden panel or a location under a set of steps would be appropriate until I read the post about the whole rig going up in flames.

I know that "fire proof" in relation to safe's only applies to the length of time the safe is exposed to temperature above XXX degrees.

When you carry large sums, do you mind sharing where it's kept?  I don't expect any answers like " taped to the bottom of the 3rd drawer down in the kitchen area".  Just general ideas, nothing specific that will identify where YOU keep the cash..

You never know who's monitoring these forums.

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png                                             

franco-bolli, Wha works for us is a container that was a frozen food package in the freezer.  We have a residential fridge, so plenty of freezer space and tuck it back in a corner behind other stuff.   This does give some protection against a fire.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

We split it up.  Some in the truck, some in the car, some on the motorcycles, my wallet, both of us carry some in another pants pocket, (not a lot in her purse), in tool boxes, and of course in multiple locations in the camper itself.  Rarely more than a couple grand in any one spot.  Of course, wehn we get home to our S/B we put it all back in the safe, under the matress, in the coffee can buried in the back yard, etc.😁

The last thing you want is to need cash and have to pull out a big wad in front of someone.  When the need arises, think about where might have just enough, and retrieve it without giving up other spots.

I have a B-I-L who deals in expensive cars, nearly all cash.  He keeps well over $100k in his pick-up, in a wadded up McDonalds bag.  It blends in with all the other trash on the floor.  I also new someone who dealt in old motorcycles.  When at a bike event, he had large sums in dirty socks in the laundry pile.

Sometimes hidden in plain sight works best.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

OK,
i'm leary about the trash bag, too easy for someone "helping clean out" to miss the important bag that was supposed to be kept!

Splitting it up makes sense, so as you said, no need to flash a big wad for a small payment.

I saw an article in Handyman magazing awhile ago about cutting the drywall in the house and  putting a fake air vent grill on an interior wall, held on by small magnets.  They used drywall screws in all four corners of the drywall opening for the magnets on the vent to cling to. But there is no real protection from fire there... I just wish my skills with cutting drywall were better!

this of course, doesn't work in a RV, unless you cut a new hole in the floor an put a vent over it.

I don't know if this is common, but I noticed that the last vent in the floor in my rig, is not the end of the plenum feeding the vent system.  It continues for another 2 or 3 feet past that last vent (hiding space??).  I ended up putting some plastic sheet in there, just past the vent to hopefully get more air volume from the existing vents.  BUT this information doesn't contribute to the OP's question.

event.png                                             

2 hours ago, franco-bolli said:

i'm leary about the trash bag, too easy for someone "helping clean out" to miss the important bag that was supposed to be kept!

Splitting it up makes sense, so as you said, no need to flash a big wad for a small payment.

I don't know if this is common, but I noticed that the last vent in the floor in my rig, is not the end of the plenum feeding the vent system.   BUT this information doesn't contribute to the OP's question.

Your info is common sense and possibilities of increased security. I don't like all my eggs in one basket.

With more cash back being paid by credit card users, more business's that I frequent are giving cash discounts. A mom & pop restaurant gives 5% so I encouraged to use more CASH

Clay 

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

If you travel through oregon,  the cash price for gas/fuel is always cheaper than the credit price.

the good news is that Oregon is considering letting you pump your own gas now!!
It has always been OK to pump your own diesel.

event.png                                             

On 3/9/2022 at 5:46 PM, Kirk W said:

RV fire, eggs ($$) in one trash bag, etc. Trav Checks in one place, receipts in another.

The trav checks are a good option - even if you need/want large denominations.  Fee should be OK.  Although, here's another alternative to lots of cash "in one basket"........

A friend makes custom knives.  Many years ago, he was displaying his wares (for sale) at a knife show.  Along came Silvester Stalone looking things over.  He selected a knife he liked, called up a guy who was behind him (body guard?, Brinks employee?).

The guy produced an attache case - chock full of cash!  SS picked up a "wad", counted out the asking price,  paid for the knife - and continued on.

Edited by Pappy Yokum

4 hours ago, franco-bolli said:

If you travel through oregon,  the cash price for gas/fuel is always cheaper than the credit price.

the good news is that Oregon is considering letting you pump your own gas now!!
It has always been OK to pump your own diesel.

The typical price difference for cash is 10 cents a gallon. My PenFed Visa card rebates 5%, 20 cents a gallon at $4/gallon. I don't pay cash...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

10 hours ago, franco-bolli said:

the question about where to keep this extra cash while traveling,

My old RV had a factory built in lockbox, solid metal, well hidden.  I doubt it was fire rated but was a great place to store cash with pistol on top.  That camper is now gone.... 😞

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

I would not be too concerned about hiding cash in your RV, just put it in a drawer. When was the last time you had cash unexpectingly taken from you? Besides, someone taking your cash or having a fire burn up cash usually doesn't happen too many times in one's life span. Just keeping things in perspective. If keeping cash in your RV makes you uncomfortable than don't do it. We all have different acceptable levels of risk taking and being w/o cash is high on my uncomfortable risk level.

If I were to lose $5k in cash, it would irritate me but not ruin my life. Whenever I need cash for whatever reason, it's nice to know I have that option available.

Edited by gjhunter01

We have also always used an old Mcdonalds bag. 

Silly story - we paid for a $100000+ motorhome with cash. Coming through LAX customs queried the cash. ( I had declared it). Going through security I dropped my coat and $60000.00 in cash dropped onto the floor in full view of dozens of people!!! A security guy stood by me while I picked it up. No one mugged me. But we did give a lot of folks something to talk about. 

We dealt a lot in cash in business. Large amounts of cash never worried us. 99.99% of folks are honest. Don't live your life worrying about the 00.01%.

14 hours ago, gjhunter01 said:

Just keeping things in perspective. If keeping cash in your RV makes you uncomfortable than don't do it. We all have different acceptable levels of risk taking and being w/o cash is high on my uncomfortable risk level.

Well said. 
I'll be carrying cash on this next outing, but not specifically because of the reasons detailed in the OP's post. I'm not ignoring the events going on around me, but I can't control them. I have learned to worry about the things I can control. I'll be prepared but not for an apocalypse.

event.png                                             

problem with using any card is the tracking.

sure if you have "that" card the discount can be good. but most out here do not get that card or it's discounts. and some time back the airlines just one day said all your air miles are void. (gasoline in my area has topped $5.50 USD a gallon).

me if i have any cash. it is in my wallet. or in the same place i keep a gun and ammo, as well as a receive only radio and a ham radio, and/or someplace very easily accessible to me.  but i do like the thought about freezing in a block of ice.

10 hours ago, packnrat said:

me if i have any cash. it is in my wallet. or in the same place i keep a gun and ammo, as well as a receive only radio and a ham radio, and/or someplace very easily accessible to me.  but i do like the thought about freezing in a block of ice.

Do you manage things with as much skill as you use to type your posts?  😄

Edited by Kirk W

I keep some cash in my tool box in the vehicle. Hard lesson learned, by going out for a ride realized we went to far to get home without getting more gas.     I forgot my wallet.

Now in real desperation remember your friends and also business associates.

Last year I went on a job that was farther than my gas tank would get me home. As I was driving home I noticed the traffic lights were not working. The area lost power.    O no, gas stations cannot pump gas. So how the heck can I get home now.

One campground I use to work in had  elevated gas and diesel tanks. Gravity feed.     So I stopped and sweet talked them into selling me some gas.

Maybe should put some cash in my tackle box.

Just some thoughts,   Vern

Well, let me announce right here on this public forum - nope, I don't carry cash or any other kind of valuables.  Nada, nothing.  So, if anyone is reading this thread looking for information on people, you might as well pass me by.  We've got nothing!  :)

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Just now, GR &quot;Scott&quot; Cundiff said:

So, if anyone is reading this thread looking for information on people, you might as well pass me by.  We've got nothing!  :)

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it.