Will a TV mount in a sleeper support a mini split?

Deezl Smoke

My main living quarters is in the truck sleeper. It's a newer model Peterbilt, that has a factory installed TV mount. The factory installed "smart air" system is sub par at best. It is a 12vDC mini split of sorts. It has a remote mount condenser with fan etc.

So I have been considering a small 110vAC mini split that would run either on the generator when boon docking, or on grid at a park. I'm a weekend warrior, not a full timer. Looking around I can find 9k btu units everywhere, and a few 6k btu units which is plenty, but i need reasonable quality to take the abuse of driving mobile.

Most of the small units that list weights, show about 25lbs for the evaporator unit inside. I don't own any TV and can not seem to find much on the weights of a TV that one would usually mount on a TV arm style mount. Some flat screen 32" show about 25 to 30lbs shipping weight.

What are your thoughts on a modern truck sleeper frame work supporting a 25lb mini split inside unit? I can remove the arm part and mount it closer to the wall using the mounting frame of the sleeper if needed.

I'm a work'n on it.

I think the mounting arm is the failure point and if you remove it from the install I would think you would be fine. Do take the mounting bolts out of the bracket and ensure they are "Machine" thread and not a "Wood Screw" type. Apply a bit of Locktite and monitor it. You could put a 25lb weight on it and take it for a spin to see if anything loosens up while on the road. 

Depending on what season you plan to use it most would be my biggest location concern. You want it above you if you plan on mostly hot weather use and below you if it's mostly cold weather. I guess in the middle if you want to use for both but, make sure you can tolerate if it's "Blowing" directly on someone who is trying to sleep in front of the outlet. Noise from the ODU is also a potential issue I didn't take into consideration when having the upgrade HVAC install several years ago. The ODU still is TOO NOISY at times and soon I'll have to turn the IDU in the living area off because even with the temperature set to my comfort level in that area if the kitchen wants more cooling it transfers that desire to my desk. So far I haven't figured out how to keep the super cold chill from going down my neck. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

The inside unit on a typical mini split probably weighs about the same as a mini split so I would guess it would be sturdy enough.  The inside unit needs to be mounted on a secure mount that doesn't move.  The copper lines will not tolerate any movement. I have heard of people using special flex lines but I am not familiar with those.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Definitely would use mobile AC hose and bulkheads at the sleeper floor.

Because the need is likely less than 100 hours a years, my concern is not really worth the effort, but would be mounting the condenser horizontal.

I have a diesel bunk heater that I like, so wont need the mini for heat. My travel style at this point would only need the AC for sleeping. I wont likely be at the rig during the day. No pets or children.

I'm a work'n on it.

My sleeper has hard points on the side wall where the upper bunk brackets were and the closet walls.    There is also some bracing in the frame that could easily accept some rivnut or self tapping screws with enough strength to support a wall mount.    I have a microwave on a shelf that weighs about 30 lbs screwed into some original hard points and a few self tappers.     

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

5 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

My sleeper has hard points on the side wall where the upper bunk brackets were and the closet walls.    There is also some bracing in the frame that could easily accept some rivnut or self tapping screws with enough strength to support a wall mount.    I have a microwave on a shelf that weighs about 30 lbs screwed into some original hard points and a few self tappers.     

And then put a heavy frozen food item in there, and it would easy out weigh a 25lb AC.

20240502_093044_resized-jpg.513824

I'm a work'n on it.

Here is a pic of the structure it is just below the seam on the sleeper lower shell.

PXL_20240503_183517473.jpg

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

6 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Here is a pic of the structure it is just below the seam on the sleeper lower shell.

PXL_20240503_183517473.jpg

That ain't going anywhere. That formed channel that you fastened into draws structure from all around.

I'm a work'n on it.