What did you do to your truck today?

jenandjon

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Dave, that should have taken you up to lunchtime, what did you do the rest of the day???๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž

ย 

Howdy GH,

Dodge the rain........................................as best I could with little success. ๐Ÿคจ

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.ย  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

ย 

its no secret I have been chasing a vibration in the driveline. I threw a bunch of cash at it last year before the West coast rally with very little results.ย  A few weeks ago, I was shooting the bull with the manager to the local Kenworth dealer, and I mentioned my problem. He suggested checking the rear end. So, I put the truck up on jack stands and put it in high gear. Let the clutch out engine idling. It took about 5 seconds to find the problem. The rear end was really growling. Took a video of it and put the truck away until I found a new rear diff. I will try to post the video here, but it will be on the FB HDT page.ย  It will be interesting to see what the keyboard commando mechanics have to say about it on there.ย 

The other day we took some time and went to the farm trade show to see all the new goodies. I ran across the booth for Inland truck parts. I asked them about my noisy rear end. (Insert joke here) He said to replace its $4,800 with the locker. I played the video for him, and he said sounds like a bearing we can fix that much cheaper. So, hopefully we get caught up on stuff around the farm next week so I can get the differential pulled out and up to them to rebuild.ย 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

ย 

Took my rig in to get the annual service done. ย Asked the shop to try to track down an air leak on the secondary air system. ย The only thing they could find was a slow leak on one of the tank valves. ย That, unfortunately didnโ€™t solve my problem while driving. ย The primary system holds air for a long time but the secondary system cycles the compressor about every 8 minutes while driving. ย I guess I need to pull the whisper out and start hunting for leaks.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal modsย - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Threadย & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.comย  ย  ย ย West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.pngย  ย ย 

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

ย 

Napa, dealerships (of any marquee), Amazon, fuel stations. All depends on how dire the need.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again.ย 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I'm pretty sure the part numbers for the o-rings and collets are posted in the guide.ย  I went to my local Mack dealer, who treats me very well, and ordered packs of 10 of each in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2.ย  So far, I've used far more o-rings than collets.

KW T-680,ย POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire,ย VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

4 hours ago, Cotreker said:

I just borrowed a whisper yesterday from Doug a member.ย  Need to purchase couplers and hose.ย  Where do you guys get parts from?ย  Not holding air for very long.

I get a lot of generic parts from Freightliner and Napa. Our local CarQuest also handles truck parts.ย 

ย 

I was coming from Tennessee back to Texas and short distance into our trip noticed ac not cold anymore. Had just had it fixed and first trip since and figured it leaked. Not real hot so drove on. Nitetime came on us before we got to our stopping over park. Headlights started getting dim. Humm. pulled into park and got low voltage warning. Looked under hood after setup and belt burnt off and idler froze. What amused me is my solar panel kept up my batteries up until night. That belt worked ac and alternator. Drove DW car down to local Napa and they had belt and idler assy in stock. That was a pleasant surprize. I usually get about anything i need from Napa.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Got the diff pulled out yesterday. Taking it in to get checked out today. Hopefully in a couple days we will know what if anything is wrong.

ย 

2 hours ago, jenandjon said:

Got the diff pulled out yesterday. Taking it in to get checked out today. Hopefully in a couple days we will know what if anything is wrong.

How did the oil look? Full of shiny flakes? Did you turn the input by hand, to feel for "weirdness"? Inquiring minds want to know.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again.ย 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I patted my truck on the fender as I walked by it today. Gas is down a bit and I hope to see a drop in fuel before the real cold sets in. Need to fill it up.ย 

ย 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,ย  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.ย 

On 12/16/2021 at 8:15 AM, Darryl&Rita said:

How did the oil look? Full of shiny flakes? Did you turn the input by hand, to feel for "weirdness"? Inquiring minds want to know.

Everything looked good. Typical shavings on the drain plug. They go it apart and recommend a bearing kit because they are all out of spec. However, there is not one available anywhere in the country. The bearings in the tail shaft where the Youk comes in are the worst but those are available. There is a washer in there that was spinning with the bearings. That did not do any damage, but it's not supposed to move.ย  Worst case they will just replace those and have to run it with the others. The bearing kit cost $950. The only one they could find was on eBay for $1250. Not paying a price gouger an extra $300.

For the miles I put on and I'm not pulling 95,000 Lb loads like I do with the work trucks. If they put the 2 in by the Youk that will have to do. They are going to keep looking and call in a few days.ย 

I should mention that this rear end came out of a single axle tractor, and it has a locker. They didn't just remove the front axle and leave the rear. So, this thing is huge. 3 of us couldn't pick it off the floor to put it on a pallet. Had to carefully roll it on.

It took it to Inland truck parts. If you are familiar with them. They are really good.ย 

ย 

I am getting quotes in Denver for getting my Volvo 670 hood and top painted.ย  Hail damage and clear coat popped off.ย  Attempting to get it done prior to Quartzside Jan 22.ย  Got any good recommendations?

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speedย 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

ย 

Denis,

Think about going the route SuiteSuccess took.ย  He posted picks and described the process here.

Or, it might be nearly as cheap to trade trucks.ย  Crazy as that sounds, several of us sitting around the campfire crunched the numbers, and it made sense, for some.

KW T-680,ย POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire,ย VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I just got a quote to have our truck painted 2 toned with most parts removed and painted except the cab and was around $22,000, guess we will live with the faded gray for a while.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

ย 

12 minutes ago, dblr said:

I just got a quote to have our truck painted 2 toned with most parts removed and painted except the cab and was around $22,000, guess we will live with the faded gray for a while.

You might keep shopping around. I had mine done base coat - clear coat, for about $12,000. That included fairly extensive fibreglass repair on the hood and rather substantial disassembly of boxes, genset, fairings, etc.-plus a lot of work cleaning up the frame and painting it a contrasting color. It's not show quality, but the prep work was pretty carefully done and we're really happy with the outcome. 1999 VNL 610, for reference. Jay

ย 

ย 
ย 

16 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

You might keep shopping around. I had mine done base coat - clear coat, for about $12,000. That included fairly extensive fibreglass repair on the hood and rather substantial disassembly of boxes, genset, fairings, etc.-plus a lot of work cleaning up the frame and painting it a contrasting color. It's not show quality, but the prep work was pretty carefully done and we're really happy with the outcome. 1999 VNL 610, for reference. Jay

Thanks, we do plan to shop around, the place we got the quote from was a friend of a friend deal so you know how that can be. They also do a lot of hot rods so some of those folks don't care

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

ย 

10 minutes ago, dblr said:

Thanks, we do plan to shop around, the place we got the quote from was a friend of a friend deal so you know how that can be. They also do a lot of hot rods so some of those folks don't care

Soooo... Maybe they were pricing it high enough to not have to do it? Good luck in your search. These things can take time. I looked for several years before I found this place in Ocala, FL. Jay

ย 

ย 
ย 

1 hour ago, jenandjon said:

Have you thought about having it wrapped? It's a lot cheaper than paint.ย 

Good luck finding someone to do it. ย I looked in this area for 6 months and no one wanted to just wrap the fenders and skirts on my truck, so I had them done with Bedliner.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730ย D13ย iShift &ย 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live -ย Than live trying not to die.ย  ย -Leonard Perry

8 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

Good luck finding someone to do it. ย I looked in this area for 6 months and no one wanted to just wrap the fenders and skirts on my truck, so I had them done with Bedliner.

There are a couple places close to me that do wraps. Whenever the time comes to do cosmetics it my truck will be wrapped. At the rate I'm going that will be never.ย 

ย