What did you do to your truck today?

jenandjon

We want to see the photos.  🙂

10 hours ago, wlp said:

Made some  11' aluminum ramps for the truck and trailer.   Wife thinks I should multipurpose them for a work table after unloading the Spark.  

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got around to changing out the dip stick that started leaking on the way to the West Coast Rally. It's good to see my roadside patch held. Once everything was taken apart and cleaned up it turns out that the rubber clamp in the first picture had silicone in it. It appears someone already patched it once.
Now the rear seal in the transmission is leaking.  But I am one step closer to finding the vibration in my drive line. I believe its in the rear end. I jacked it up and put it on jack stands put the transmission in 10 gear and let the engine idle. The rear end was making all kids of noise. 
Edited by jenandjon

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

1 hour ago, rollinbrian said:

Back from the truck shop - new fan clutch, new windshield, new ac pump, and new alternator.

Couple more small projects and we're ready to roll south for the winter.

How much was the windshield, I need one.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

Howdy All,

Working on replacing the windshield wiper motor on the Pete, with luck I'll have it done tomorrow.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

46 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Working on replacing the windshield wiper motor on the Pete, with luck I'll have it done tomorrow.

Dave

Wait until the OCD monster rears up and you notice that the wiper arms are one spline off from each other. It took me longer to get them lined up than to change the motor, last time. Stupid Jeep.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

13 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Wait until the OCD monster rears up and you notice that the wiper arms are one spline off from each other. It took me longer to get them lined up than to change the motor, last time. Stupid Jeep.

Howdy Darryl,

The motor is out, bad part is when they stopped working the wiper was NOT at the end of it's stroke.  I am "assuming" the new wiper motor will come positioned at the end of the stroke but I don't know that.  Getting everything properly timed-aligned is what I am most concerned about. 

Unbolting the motor from the outside of the truck wasn't to bad, removing the main dash panel to gain access to the nut that holds the wiper operating arm to the motor was difficult as you have to work on it without disturbing all the wires and lines that go to the 8 gages, 2 air conditioning vents and systems monitoring panel.

Every time I have removed that dash panel, I have to redo it at least twice to make sure I didn't dislodge one of the 14 light bulbs that light it up.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

Good news, and bad news.  Good news is that there is no problem getting the wipers to clock correctly as the operating arm driven by the motor just goes in a circle so no matter how you place it on the motor shaft the wipers work as they should.

Bad news is that after removing the wiper motor I did a test using a 12 volt battery and some probes, nothing happened.  So I took my dead blow hammer and gave that sucker a good SMACK, something must have broke loose, I could get the wiper motor to work, on-off, variable speed, lo and hi speed.  However every now and then it would lock up and stop turning.  As it was running at every revolution of the wiper arm drive shaft there was a noticeable CLICK and a bit of a jerk in the rotation of the drive shaft.

I did a really good cleanup job on the wiper motor thinking I would dissemble take the cover off of the transmission and see if there was any damage to the gear train that would cause this click and stutter.  No can do, the cover was attached with one time use rivets of some sort.

So I drove to the Peterbilt, store sat down on the stool in front of the parts desk and handed over my credit card to purchase this platinum plated part ( well it should have been for the cost ) BUT I knew when I bought the Pete, that like a Cadillac, parts would be expensive.  That said the parts I have bought at the Peterbilt store have all been of good quality, have fit and have worked well.  I don't mind spending the money if I get quality parts or service in return. 

Just got back home with the part, it's absolutely pouring down rain, it's usually raining this time of year where I live but not like this, water running in the streets, puddles everywhere, with any kind of luck it will just be raining tomorrow and I can get this installed and have the wipers working again.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

SUCCESS, I now have fully functional windshield wipers in the Pete.  I had to get this done as I need to take the truck in and get some air leaks fixed but I needed windshield wipers to safely drive the truck with the pouring down rain.  I looked on ebay and found the wiper motor for just over 200 dollars, looked at some of the big truck parts houses they were priced around 225 dollars, the part sold at the local Peterbilt store was $339.86 a pretty good sized difference in price.

Using the numbers on the old wiper motor I determined that it was a generic part probably bought from ebay or some other store NOT a Peterbilt part.  So I took the old wiper motor down to the Peterbilt store and compared the old part to the new part.  BIG difference, the motor on the Peterbilt part is longer, larger in diameter, the gear box is larger in all respects and the wiring is sealed to keep the nasty stuff out.

In this photo the old motor is on top, the new Peterbilt motor is below it, you can see the difference in quality.  This has proven to be the case with every part I have replaced on my truck, the Peterbilt parts cost more but the difference is quality in my mind makes up for the price.  I am now, a HAPPY CAMPER.

fullsizeoutput_3152-L.jpg

Dave

Edited by mr. cob

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Well I tried to replace my cab shocks. But the top bolt on the driver side is rusted in there good. Shop job.

I replaced a leaking cab leveling valve.

and finally the steering drag link joints were worn. Not super bad but not I feel much better about that.

I also finished putting all four rear shocks on the other day.

while trying to do the cab shocks I found that the bearing carrier (vibration isolation mount) for the drive shaft is shot! I believe that is my final knocking noise that I have been looking for for months now. Shop job. 
I might be able to do it but I am going to drop it off and let the shop do it. More people, tools and skills, plus it’s getting cold out now. Hahaha.

that hopefully be all for quite a while.

Chuck

1 hour ago, Rotorhead said:

Well I tried to replace my cab shocks. But the top bolt on the driver side is rusted in there good. Shop job.

I replaced a leaking cab leveling valve.

and finally the steering drag link joints were worn. Not super bad but not I feel much better about that.

I also finished putting all four rear shocks on the other day.

while trying to do the cab shocks I found that the bearing carrier (vibration isolation mount) for the drive shaft is shot! I believe that is my final knocking noise that I have been looking for for months now. Shop job. 
I might be able to do it but I am going to drop it off and let the shop do it. More people, tools and skills, plus it’s getting cold out now. Hahaha.

that hopefully be all for quite a while.

Chuck

Howdy Chuck,

I think I'll be installing new cab air bags soon, they are pretty crusty looking and of course the bolts are rusty.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Chuck,

I think I'll be installing new cab air bags soon, they are pretty crusty looking and of course the bolts are rusty.

Dave

Hiya Dave,

I watched a video on that. Didn’t look too bad. Rust is the biggest deal huh? Mine are crusty looking too. But I am going to go get my drive shaft carrier bearing done first. It’s toast. The bags are still working for now.

Chuck

6 minutes ago, rollinbrian said:

Swapped front tires trying to chase down a slight pull to the right.  We'll see how running to town the next couple days go.

I had mine aligned and the guy said my right front brake was dragging a little. I jacked it up and adjusted it. But I still have a slight pull to the right as well. Not sure where to go from there.

Hopefully you’ll get yours squared away.

Chuck