What did you do to your truck today?

jenandjon

5 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

I'm suggesting blocking off the passage. No changes to appearance, but a lot longer life.

Hi Darryl,

you mean blocking off the EGR passage correct? I have thought about that by blocking off where the Venturi tube goes into the intake and then adding an extension to vent the exhaust below. Of course I haven’t done any research on the right way to do a EGR delete.

a guy at work showed me pictures of his EGR pipes on his diesel pickup. They were nearly clogged. Bad design huh!

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Ever wonder what happens when you engage the power divider when you wheels are still spinning?

Well here you go. This is what happens. This is on one of our farm trucks. We were chopping silage and my nephew said it just started making noise. A lot of guys drive this truck so its hard to say who did it but I think if it was messed up before it would not have just started making noise the second day of harvest.

HsozBj8l.jpg

Edited by jenandjon

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

23 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

Ever wonder what happens when you engage the power divider when you wheels are still spinning?

Well here you go. This is what happens. This is on one of our farm trucks. We were chopping silage and my nephew said it just started making noise. A lot of guys drive this truck so its hard to say who did it but I think if it was messed up before it would not have just started making noise the second day of harvest.

HsozBj8l.jpg

OOPs, 

Was getting it out for the photo the hardest part of the fix or will it be more difficult putting it back in and setting it correctly? Maybe hard to find the part? 

Hope it all fits back together well and you are back to the Harvest. I'm in the Sugar Beet area and the preparations for the October first event is in full speed. I hear there will be piles and piles of the beets sitting at every intersection and truck after truck loading and delivering to the local "Crystal Sugar" plant on the other side of town. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

9 minutes ago, lappir said:

OOPs, 

Was getting it out for the photo the hardest part of the fix or will it be more difficult putting it back in and setting it correctly? Maybe hard to find the part? 

Hope it all fits back together well and you are back to the Harvest. I'm in the Sugar Beet area and the preparations for the October first event is in full speed. I hear there will be piles and piles of the beets sitting at every intersection and truck after truck loading and delivering to the local "Crystal Sugar" plant on the other side of town. 

Rod

We didn't have time to mess with it so its at a friends shop. Last I heard he was looking for a replacement. We had to finish silage with the good truck and be more careful.

58 minutes ago, Rich&Sylvia said:

Well, I bought a "creeper" at Harbor Freight last week for $35. and it's really a nice one.  
A mechanic friend told me about it - elsewhere, creepers usually cost around $125+
No more "inch-worming" under the truck for me.

I have a creeper I rarely use.  It was converted to a "tri-axle" many years ago.  These days, most of the things I work on are so low, I used a piece of cardboard.  Or if the bride's available, I just send her in.😲

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

12 hours ago, jenandjon said:

We didn't have time to mess with it so its at a friends shop. Last I heard he was looking for a replacement. We had to finish silage with the good truck and be more careful.

That looks more like shock damage to a ring gear, than slip engagement to a power divider. Break off a piece of tooth, send it through the next revolution, cause even more damage.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

11 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

That looks more like shock damage to a ring gear, than slip engagement to a power divider. Break off a piece of tooth, send it through the next revolution, cause even more damage.

Could be. I really dont know. Either way its expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been busy: (check out #6 if old and cracked you could have a bad day)

1. Installed new muffler
  2. Installed storage locking box behind right fuel tank (44" x 22") aluminum. @Brad & Jacolyn
  3. Wired up LED lights to nice switch box for outside, storage lights and inside main storage
  4. Polished aluminum wheels (80%)
  5. New rear leveling valve
  6. New rear leveling valve arm (check yours old ones are plastic and crack) $45
  7. 6 new tires $$
  8. Ordered new oil dip stick; need to install $180
  9. Greased the truck every last one of them
  10. Fixed two RV sky lights (hail damage)
  11. New Seats (Seats.com)
  12. Air dryer replaced

Now we are ready for the Rally

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

I missed one important item that Volvo did recently. Noteven I think my project list is about done.....  Will you please post a picture of the front hub caps.

• Had Volvo do a smoke test, they sealed the turbo and replaced one of the hoses; beats doing it on the side of the road. (June 6th)
  • Today installed the new oil dip stick: 20 minutes easy expensive $187
  • Changed the right side fuel filter and the antifreeze filter
  • Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

Use mine the other day. Got a free salvage camper. Some lady had her brother living in it at a trailer court. He quit paying the rent last spring so she threw him out. When he left the roof vent was open.  It was open all summer. It still had potential but the door flew off on the way home.

mkaKy2Dl.jpg

2 hours ago, jenandjon said:

Use mine the other day. Got a free salvage camper. Some lady had her brother living in it at a trailer court. He quit paying the rent last spring so she threw him out. When he left the roof vent was open.  It was open all summer. It still had potential but the door flew off on the way home.

mkaKy2Dl.jpg

What do they say about free boats or rv's?

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

1 hour ago, noteven said:

What do they say about free boats or rv's?

I don't know but I'm scraping this one. AC unit and fridge will be put in storage for now. Water tank and pump just might get mounted on the Freightliner. 

5 hours ago, jenandjon said:

I don't know but I'm scraping this one. AC unit and fridge will be put in storage for now. Water tank and pump just might get mounted on the Freightliner. 

Yes when you look at price and availability of stuff these days there can be good salvage in a unit like that. 

The chassis will make someone a good little gooseneck flatbed with a little work.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Disconnected the satellite dish from the cab. We've been using the sleeper for the last week to sleep in, and had the dish hooked up to allow a little entertainment after hours. We have a 30 amp 125/250 volt service, and used it to feed the coffee pot, microwave, fridge, portable heater, etc, etc. It wasn't the best, but was better than a tent, given the weather in a northern Alberta fall.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

Darryl,  I've been looking at the mounts at the top/rear of the cab, thinking it might be a good place to mount the DISH globe.  Simple plate with a rotating base so we can aim as needed.  What d'ya think?

BTW, we have no tv in the truck.  We'd just run the cable to the trailer.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

3 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Darryl,  I've been looking at the mounts at the top/rear of the cab, thinking it might be a good place to mount the DISH globe.  Simple plate with a rotating base so we can aim as needed.  What d'ya think?

BTW, we have no tv in the truck.  We'd just run the cable to the trailer.

We've got a simple ground mount that we use in our summer local, and for travelling. It's a piece of PWF plywood, with a dish mount screwed on. A couple of bricks, when in summer locale, or water filled milk jugs for travel use hold it steady. I have seen a dish mount on a rotating light base. The dish was removed for travel. Our air stays up, as long as the temps stay up, but we travel in shoulder seasons, with cooler evening temps, so we loose all air overnight. This would affect dish aiming too much for me to bother with. We had a small TV, that we use for security camera display, that was pressed into service for the entertainment centre. It just fit, between the dash and the overhead cabinets above the window. Any bigger, and I might have had to open my wallet. Shudder!

Please e-mail us here.