What did you do to your truck today?

jenandjon

12 hours ago, jenandjon said:

Does that have the 565 X15? 

500 efficiency. I wont know the true mileage until I run a tank and get the gallonage at the pump, but the engine meter made it up to 12mpg driving home at purchase which was 450 miles. Started out at I think 8.9ish. That was from the prior owner pulling a trailer etc. Commercial service.

I'm a work'n on it.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is kind of done to the truck...

With a little (a lot) of advise from wlp, here is the combination BluDot/Electric brake system now in our trailer.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

11 hours ago, Deezl Smoke said:

500 efficiency. I wont know the true mileage until I run a tank and get the gallonage at the pump, but the engine meter made it up to 12mpg driving home at purchase which was 450 miles. Started out at I think 8.9ish. That was from the prior owner pulling a trailer etc. Commercial service.

My Kenworth has the 565. Keep an eye on the front cover of the engine. Mine came loose and started leaking oil. Dealer said it's been a common problem on the 565. I don't know if the 500s have that issue but it's something to keep an eye out for. They tightened the bolts down by hand. So far so good. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

My blower motor died when we where out over Father’s Day weekend. It made for a warm ride home as it was 100 on Father’s Day. When I went to pull the old motor out I found that the entire heater box was rusted out. So I ended up finding a complete heater box with a new motor. 

93362642-70F2-4D8C-AA9A-DCFF67EBC458.jpeg

Getting ready for a little trip to Indiana next week to see the in-laws. Packing bearings on the trailer has been fun. 3 auto parts stores to get seals. Napa had 2. Then I messed one up. So, I went to car quest. They had 2. Then I hit Auto Value, they had a bunch and they cost half of what Napa charged me. Frustrating.

I finally got a diesel generator bought so I will be mounting that on the bed temporally. Probably just throw a couple ratchet straps over it. I have a 50-gallon gas tank on the bed. I have to clean that out and put diesel in it. Winter project coming up. Remove the gas tank off the bed. Move the toolbox that the old generator was in ahead and install another saddle tank behind that to feed the generator. 

Ubtzbb3l.jpg

Well it took them nearly 5 weeks, but I had the clutch replaced, DOT and state inspections done. It certainly shifts great now. They were short handed according to the shop. Understandable, seems everyone is shorthanded these days. It was a pricey repair. But it's a part of owning one of these HDT's. I'll just work a little while longer.

On 8/2/2022 at 6:47 AM, rickeieio said:

Where in southern Indiana?  We're over near Cincinnati.

We are home now but we stayed at the Beyonder campground at Rising Sun In. Formally little farm RV park. 

You were 15 miles from our house.  We're just north of Lawrenceburg.  If you went to Cincinnati, you had to drive through our place.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Yep, we did. I will remember to get a hold of you next time. This was a real quick trip. We got there Thursday afternoon. Then went to the Newport aquarium Friday. Saturday we just hung out with the family. Had lunch at the brewery in Aurora Then Sunday morning, I put it in the wind and almost made it the 800 miles home. 

On 7/27/2022 at 4:29 AM, jenandjon said:

Getting ready for a little trip to Indiana next week to see the in-laws. Packing bearings on the trailer has been fun. 3 auto parts stores to get seals. Napa had 2. Then I messed one up. So, I went to car quest. They had 2. Then I hit Auto Value, they had a bunch and they cost half of what Napa charged me. Frustrating.

I finally got a diesel generator bought so I will be mounting that on the bed temporally. Probably just throw a couple ratchet straps over it. I have a 50-gallon gas tank on the bed. I have to clean that out and put diesel in it. Winter project coming up. Remove the gas tank off the bed. Move the toolbox that the old generator was in ahead and install another saddle tank behind that to feed the generator. 

Ubtzbb3l.jpg

Is the silver cylinder on the left of the gen box a muffler? If so, where does it terminate?

Running the generator exhaust into the truck exhaust, if that is what is being done here, is not a good idea. That is "assuming" (usually never a good idea to do) that is what is going on as I can't really see in the picture all too well, the termination is going to the truck exhaust.

Just going on that assumption for conversation purpose, when the truck engine is off, there will still be valves in the head open. The generator exhaust will be leaking into the truck engine. Problems from that are too many to list, but if I am not seeing the picture right, then ignore my rambling.

I'm a work'n on it.

23 hours ago, Deezl Smoke said:

Is the silver cylinder on the left of the gen box a muffler? If so, where does it terminate?

Running the generator exhaust into the truck exhaust, if that is what is being done here, is not a good idea. That is "assuming" (usually never a good idea to do) that is what is going on as I can't really see in the picture all too well, the termination is going to the truck exhaust.

Just going on that assumption for conversation purpose, when the truck engine is off, there will still be valves in the head open. The generator exhaust will be leaking into the truck engine. Problems from that are too many to list, but if I am not seeing the picture right, then ignore my rambling.

Yes, that is a muffler. I had a short stack between the headache rack and back of the cab. I have since removed that generator and bought a Kubota diesel that put on the bed. 

I removed and cleaned an air fitting that is on the back side of my compressor. I also cut the end off so there would be a clean line going back into the fitting. Fortunately the o-ring was still good. There was some weird crud down in the fitting too. Anyway, no more leaks there.

Next will be the air dryer. It has a constant leak coming from the bottom at this rubber piece with a hole in it. I am assuming that is some sort of pressure relief port. It also has some greasy black stuff around the port.

once I get that done that hopefully my forward tank will hold the pressure more steady. Right now it is cycling between 125-100 pretty much constantly.

2 minutes ago, Rotorhead said:

Next will be the air dryer. It has a constant leak coming from the bottom at this rubber piece with a hole in it. I am assuming that is some sort of pressure relief port. It also has some greasy black stuff around the port.

Sounds like it's time to service it. Also sounds like a compressor may be in your future, depending on how much oil is in the lines to the dryer.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 minute ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Sounds like it's time to service it. Also sounds like a compressor may be in your future, depending on how much oil is in the lines to the dryer.

Yeah, I am going to get a whole new dryer soon. I am hoping the compressor will hang in there for a while. 
tomorrow I am checking the lines underneath for leaks. But I’m pretty sure it’s just the dryer.

1 minute ago, Rotorhead said:

Yeah, I am going to get a whole new dryer soon. I am hoping the compressor will hang in there for a while. 
tomorrow I am checking the lines underneath for leaks. But I’m pretty sure it’s just the dryer.

When you have the dryer apart, look inside the lines. Oily residue there is bad news, depending on the volume of oil. Less is better, none is great. Oil residue on the "sneeze" outlet may be simply from road grime.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

IMHO, this thread should go away.  The topics discussed herein are too specific to be in a thread by only one name, thereby, making it harder to search for a single act.  It is almost like only having one thread for the whole HDT site.

Chet

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

3 hours ago, NeverEasy said:

IMHO, this thread should go away.  The topics discussed herein are too specific to be in a thread by only one name, thereby, making it harder to search for a single act.  It is almost like only having one thread for the whole HDT site.

Chet

True. I did start one about this air leak. If topics were titled by the item or repair in question it would be much easier to find.

Chuck

This is kind of like sitting around the campfire, regailing each other with tales of wins, losses, and bitter tears. Specific trouble? Do a search, then post a specific question.

Please e-mail us here.