What did you do to your truck today?

jenandjon

Been pretty quiet in here lately. I thought I would share what I have been up to recently.

I had to have a head gasket done on the truck a few weeks ago. While it was in the shop I had them check out the rear end. It had a weird vibration under acceleration.  Turns out when the truck was singled they just lengthened the drive shaft and hooked it up to the rear rear end. I found that the rear knuckle was at 15 degrees. So found the saddles for the front rear and put them on the rear rear. I did not bother measuring the new angle. You can see that it is pretty straight in. OH yea it needed injectors and rear wheel seals and brakes also.

When it got done we loaded up the kids and took a shake down trip to Wichita KS. The engine ran great. No leaks that I could find. However now there is a new vibration. Only when coasting down the back side of a hill. Tail shaft bearing went out in the transmission. The tranny was worn out anyway and I prepared myself for having to replace it but I hoped it would last another couple years. So It is back in the shop. I found a low mile used 10 speed to go back in.

After a few years of ownership i have finally come up with a name for our truck. This had much been deliberated over the years. But this time Jen and I are in 100% agreement.

wJpSh9tl.jpg

0v8hHAcl.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you ain't paying, you ain't playing. Quick note on driveshaft angles; they should match on both ends of the shaft. They should also never be installed at a zero angle. They need a small amount of angle of make the needle bearings move around, and not sit in one place.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Ours is in the shop waiting silently for :

Fuel filter change. chassis lube,  air tank hanger repair, touch up paint on bed, new baby moons, replace a few missing screws in interior trim.

However, in the recent past it's received:  lower right sleeper window and hinge kit, x-y shifter,  4 new AC Delco batteries, 10 new tires.  I put on Sailun tires, which I really struggled with.  Foreign brand, but great reviews.  I put them on the farm truck several years ago and liked them, put them on the trailer, have nothing but good to say about them.  I will say, this truck is now LOTS smoother than with the Goodyears. 

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I am waiting for it to warm up so I can finish my dinette and back window.     It is snowing lightly here at the monument.

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Installed 12v diesel heater for the cab, nice and toasty....Built upper cabinet behind drivers seat and installed microwave......Fabracated and installed 12" pedestal under fridge to raise it off the floor.  Have clips for the curtain track around windshield that I still have to install and trashed the old vinyl curtains and waiting for the wife to make new ones. 
Noticed that the stimulus money hit our bank acct. this morning and told the wife we should fill up the fuel tanks and leave the 5th wheel at home and just drive until we have to fuel up again and turn around and come home.  She said she would pass and if I wanted I could go and send pictures of where I went.............Hmmmmm road trip?????? 

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Just finished putting my left side fuel tank back on.  It had a small leak so I took it off and took it to a tank welding shop.   Next job is to try to fix the anti-lock brakes, info center says I have a bad right rear wheel sensor or bad electrical.   Anyone have any experience with the ABS?

2000 Volvo VNL 610

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE

7 hours ago, Sparky242 said:

Just finished putting my left side fuel tank back on.  It had a small leak so I took it off and took it to a tank welding shop.   Next job is to try to fix the anti-lock brakes, info center says I have a bad right rear wheel sensor or bad electrical.   Anyone have any experience with the ABS?

The first thing I would do make sure the sensor is clean. You might have wheel seal out and covered it with oil.

12 hours ago, dennisvr said:

Installed 12v diesel heater for the cab, nice and toasty...

How loud is it? Pretty quiet?

2 hours ago, jenandjon said:

How loud is it? Pretty quiet?

You can barely hear the exhaust and the fuel pump ticking, not loud at all.  I plan on using it to warm the cab before going to bed and after waking in the morning, so I don't think it will be a distraction.  

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Stopped by the shop of check on the status of my truck. I seen it was parked back outside.

The guy I go to has a trucking company. His shop guy works on other peoples trucks in between keeping the company trucks on the road. Well 2 of his trucks went down this week so they had to push mine off.  I told him thats fine you get your stuff on the road first. I have time. At least I'm not the only one having problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the truck back. this new transmission is real tight. I didn't realize how worn out the old one was. Straightened the gear shifter out a little bit so it wont the the seat in 1st and 5th. Straightening it moved over it over a few inches and also made it a little taller. That messed up my muscle memory a little bit. I ground a couple gears.

Still got a slight vibration when I coast down the back side of a hill. I crawled back under and checked everything out. The only thing I found was a little play in the drive shift splines where it slides in and out. I pumped in about 20 pumps of grease before the gun ran dry and that tightened up some.  So more grease and take it for a drive to see what happens.

Howdy All,

Semi-Sane II, NEEDS a new exhaust system, the original one has gone bad lots of little holes rusted through.  I had to put one of those 4 inch wide band clamps on the horizontal pipe that attaches to the down tube from the turbo, when that cracked to say it was loud is an understatement.  So now I have to decide replace with the stock 5 inch pipes or go a bit larger, 6 inch might be nice no way I would go with the HUGE pipes you see on some trucks nowadays.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Just now, Darryl&Rita said:

She'll be happier with 8". Run with the big dogs.

Howdy Darryl,

Nah, I'll pass.  I do like the look of the 6 inch pipes anything larger to me just looks out of place, Still want more chicken lights and chrome but the pipes have to come first.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I hear ya, Dave. People tend to forget that the piping under the truck is still 4 or 5", anyway. The big pipes are all for show. And exercise come polishing time.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

I met a customer for coffee - wheels in his metal hood KW C500 62” Aero sleeper winch tractor, double frame, front slipper springs, 445 steer tires, tri drive rears on 12” 58000 Neway air suspension, lowbed ramps, winch, walking deck, pulling a jeep, and tri highboy with an about 70 ton rig pump shack on deck whole truck is about 90 ft long grossing 200,000lbs mebbe...

we walk past a snazzy Peterbilt with 10 inch black chimneys on it pulling a 2 axle flat deck. 

My guy says, “Young fella’s going to have quite a truck when it grows into them stacks...”

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

49 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

But Darryl, then why do pick-ups need dual 8" stacks poking through the bed? (shrug)

Same reason a Honda Civic needs a coffee can exhaust.

Please e-mail us here.

11 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Same reason a Honda Civic needs a coffee can exhaust.

We call those "fart cans."

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net