What did you do to your truck today?

jenandjon

This weekend found a place to put the back seat from the Jeep. It's been sitting in the garage for weeks since I moved a desk and I sort of like it not being back there. Hoisted it up in the motorcycle garage on the truck and hope it will like it there for a while. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since i have the generator unhooked and out Its a good time to move the generator box ahead and add another fuel tank. Right now the tank for the generator is on the bed. It works out pretty good but as the boys get older I am going to need the bed space for toys. If I lose the fuel tank I believe I can get two 4 wheelers up there pretty easily.

This is the box I want to slide ahead. I found an aluminum side mount fuel tank that will fit behind the box in front of the rear tires. My dilemma is the tag on the tank says diesel fuel only. My generator is gas powered. I am going to assume that means it is not safe to put gas in it. OR is that there because the vehicle it came off of ran on diesel? I have seen plenty of gas burner trucks with aluminum saddle tanks just like this. 

g2myLycl.jpg

6nLIB3Ul.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

6 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

Since i have the generator unhooked and out Its a good time to move the generator box ahead and add another fuel tank. Right now the tank for the generator is on the bed. It works out pretty good but as the boys get older I am going to need the bed space for toys. If I lose the fuel tank I believe I can get two 4 wheelers up there pretty easily.

This is the box I want to slide ahead. I found an aluminum side mount fuel tank that will fit behind the box in front of the rear tires. My dilemma is the tag on the tank says diesel fuel only. My generator is gas powered. I am going to assume that means it is not safe to put gas in it. OR is that there because the vehicle it came off of ran on diesel? I have seen plenty of gas burner trucks with aluminum saddle tanks just like this. 

g2myLycl.jpg

6nLIB3Ul.jpg

I'm pretty sure that only means it wasn't certified for gasoline. Certifications are expensive and the manufacturer isn't likely to go the extra expense if it doesn't seem justified. Jay

Not sure what the differences are, but I'm sure there are some. While Diesel is flammable, it's not all that "EXPLOSIVE" unless many things happen at the right time. Gasoline is explosive with just a spark. Most "Gas tanks" are no longer metal, are most often mounted between the frame rails and not outside of them. Remember the gas tanks behind the seats of Pickup Trucks? How about the Ford Pinto?

Remember most rules are made for those did something dangerous in the past. If you can mount that tank safely and ensure it's never overfilled and is vented properly you could use it for a long time. Any one of the potential issues could cause a huge hole in the wallet though. 

JMHO, 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

14 minutes ago, lappir said:

Not sure what the differences are, but I'm sure there are some. While Diesel is flammable, it's not all that "EXPLOSIVE" unless many things happen at the right time. Gasoline is explosive with just a spark. Most "Gas tanks" are no longer metal, are most often mounted between the frame rails and not outside of them. Remember the gas tanks behind the seats of Pickup Trucks? How about the Ford Pinto?

Remember most rules are made for those did something dangerous in the past. If you can mount that tank safely and ensure it's never overfilled and is vented properly you could use it for a long time. Any one of the potential issues could cause a huge hole in the wallet though. 

JMHO, 

Rod

My gas tank is actually rated for gasoline, as it's a marine tank. It's welded aluminum and I wouldn't be willing to use a plastic tank for this application. With all the miles and abuse from normal highway travel, potholes, etc., plus just being mounted on top of the frame and not a custom engineered mount, I'm much happier with this solution. Jay

Yea the more I think about it I may have to come up with a different solution. I will save this tank for when I get a diesel powered generator.

Well for some reason unknown to me I lost the photo. After trying to type after posting the picture above. 

Then it posted anyway.

So I am doing some touch up on small fiberglass problems. While doing other stuff I decided to touch up 4 small problems. Will post more pictures as I get things done.

Have a great day,   Vern

Installed a 7 gal. gas tank for the generator, located in the cabinet under the tank.  Next will be the tilt up lid/door to cover the tank.

QPqNL1Nl.jpg

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

On 8/11/2021 at 9:48 AM, trimster said:

Installed a 7 gal. gas tank for the generator, located in the cabinet under the tank.  Next will be the tilt up lid/door to cover the tank.

QPqNL1Nl.jpg

I might end up doing something like this. But larger. I have gobs of room under my bed between the frame rails. I wanted a larger tank so I dont have to mess with gas cans. I have a 50 gallon tank now. It last me all summer.

My bed is kind of cheesy homemade thing my Dad found in a salvage yard so I dont mind cutting up the floor a little bit to experiment.

Today is "paint" day.  I've been fabricating parts and brackets, wheel chocks, etc.  Gathered them all together and wiped them down with mineral spirits this morning, then hit them with some primer.  Final coat goes on later today.

We're also playing around with building a set of "race ramps", cuz I'm a tight-wad.  Closed cell foam board, some 1/4" plywood, a smear of epoxy and fiberglass cloth and I'll have few $ in what would cost near $400.  Hope it works.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 8/13/2021 at 10:56 AM, rickeieio said:

We're also playing around with building a set of "race ramps", cuz I'm a tight-wad.  Closed cell foam board, some 1/4" plywood, a smear of epoxy and fiberglass cloth and I'll have few $ in what would cost near $400.  Hope it works.

I would like to see the finished version.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Getting ready for a quick Washington to North Dakota run.  Over the last few day we've installed new cab and steer shocks (rides soo much better), TST 507 installed and configured, wired the truck rear camera into the Jackalopee output, added a gps mount to the dashcam, and installed a big inverter.

Tomorrow is cab/sleeper cleaning and prep and then on the road come Monday.

2017 Jayco Designer 37rs "Fiona"

2007 Volvo 670 "Henry"

On 8/13/2021 at 7:56 AM, noteven said:

I’m driving mine around using it for daily driver duties - doing a “daily driver” fuel economy test. 

Transmission oil change day today. 

Then on to some other items on a list. 

I did the trans oil change. Yes the dribble of oil that runs out when the trans is full capilliarieied over just enough on the trans case so it could miss the pan I put on the floor and make a mess. 

Good for another 5yrs / 500,000miles which is the drain interval per Eaton. 

Report on daily driver bobtail (single towing🤣) economy over 450km/280miles of general run around with headwind, hilly highway, loose thick dry gravel road - 19 litre/100km = 14.9 mile/ Imp gallon = 12.4 mile/ US gallon.  My truck bobtail weighs 6760kg or 14,815lbs.

During the last daily driver trip I thought my ears heard a bit of a hum..., not wind noise, not tires...

Pulled it in the shop nearby and jacked up steer axle - yep I have a ruff front wheel bearing. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

6 hours ago, noteven said:

yep I have a ruff front wheel bearing. 

Lucky you found it while close to home......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

21 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Lucky you found it while close to home......

yes it was. I had to wait for parts from my home KW dealer - 45 seconds while they walked back and brought them to me at the counter 😁.

One of my granddotters is going to learn how to do this repair with me. If she can fit it in her schedule 🤣.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

9 minutes ago, noteven said:

One of my granddotters is going to learn how to do this repair with me. If she can fit it in her schedule 🤣.

I have one like that.  She's 21 and not afraid to get dirty.  Also an excellent m/c passenger.  Oldest grandson is 19, and is working construction 65 hr/wk, so doesn't come play in the shop with Grumps much.

Teach'em right.....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Found my AC had lost its charge. Pulled a vacuum, it held 3 hours. So filled it back up and got it cold again. Figure a Core must have started leaking. I think it was 2.5 years ago. When I changed out the dryer and other parts.

Going to use the KW Monday to run to Guntersville Al. Pick up my lund boat. Dropped it off Sept 2 last year. To get a new Transom put in. Lund was so nice and got it back to the dealers lot the 16th of this month. Sad it has a lifetime warranty on this issue. But had to jump though hoops to make them believe I still owned it.

I was told no one buys a boat. Keeps it 12 years just does not happen. Told the lady I bought this boat to be my last one. But Oct last year we bought one more. Guess I will sell this one ASAP. New Transom from the factory and 1 hour on the rebuilt engine. 2020 was not good to me for sure. Sad part got the engine back from a 3 months wait on parts to rebuild it. Got it home on the Sept1. pulled the engine. And still have not ran the engine myself.

. We have had fun catching lots of Crappie. And Sauger season will be here before I know it.

Edited by Pete Kildow

event.png

I am planning on removing the EGR and piping on the drivers side and cleaning the soot out this week. I am also putting on a new MAP sensor. 
I cleaned the DP and tubing a couple weeks ago. 
shouldn’t be to bad except for how far back you have to reach to get to the EGR. 
I have a Cummings ISX (871). It has the Venturi tube that circles back around to the intake.

46 minutes ago, Rotorhead said:

I am planning on removing the EGR and piping on the drivers side and cleaning the soot out this week. I am also putting on a new MAP sensor. 
I cleaned the DP and tubing a couple weeks ago. 
shouldn’t be to bad except for how far back you have to reach to get to the EGR. 
I have a Cummings ISX (871). It has the Venturi tube that circles back around to the intake.

Are you planning on using "solid" gaskets on the EGR, when you reinstall, or the "hole in the middle" style from factory? Lots of Cummins ISX engines running the special gaskets.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.