What did you do to your truck today?

jenandjon

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Radiator got replaced today... or is in process... decided I wasn't going to tackle 24yr old bolts....

Also updated the block heater plug.  Installed an actual receptacle with a chrome flap to plug the  cord into.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

46 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Jim, I have got to ask.... If those 24-year-old bolts were too hard for you to get out, how long did it take Alie to break them loose and remove them???

All she did was hand me the card....  Bolts at the 2 bottom corners are/were frozen thru the front stack.  Big impact wouldn't turn them, cut off wheel worked great.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I put Blue Devil Stop leak in my Coolant reservoir to help stop a leak I had. I had to put 6 bottles in so it was 240.00 but it would cost a lot more for the mechanic to run all of the lines or replace parts. I decided to start there.

I made a run to Laughlin and back a couple of weeks ago. The weather was in the upper 60's lower 70's. It was a great trip and the wife even drove. It was her second time behind the wheel.

I am hoping I can take it home this summer and let Jack work his magic on in at RVH life styles.

2 layers of kilmat in the door. I am really happy with the results. I need to do the whole cab.  I also need a new door panel. But still trying to decide if I am going to spend $400 on a new one or $200 on a used. 

I also dropped the carrier bearing a couple inches between drive shave 1 and 2. They were both at 0 degrees. I got them number 1 at 1 degree and 2 at 2 degrees. Should be enough to get the u joint working and not be straight. 

z5tyhmHl.jpg

WrhKkZel.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

17 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

I put Blue Devil Stop leak in my Coolant reservoir to help stop a leak I had. I had to put 6 bottles in so it was 240.00 but it would cost a lot more for the mechanic to run all of the lines or replace parts. I decided to start there.

I made a run to Laughlin and back a couple of weeks ago. The weather was in the upper 60's lower 70's. It was a great trip and the wife even drove. It was her second time behind the wheel.

I am hoping I can take it home this summer and let Jack work his magic on in at RVH life styles.

I don't like stop leak. Most of the hoses and lines you can replace yourself easy enough. 

On 1/27/2022 at 7:45 AM, Rotorhead said:

Ok thanks. As I tear into things I see why you say EGR kills engines. That system is a very bad idea. Maybe a cleaner fuel would have been better? I have been mixing JET A in with my diesel. I don't know if there is any benefit or not. It seems like it would be a less sooty fuel.

I am using a product called Max Mileage from Pittsburgh Power.  One gallon treats 3000 gallons, this is a catalyst so exact measurement is required.  I have EGR only and it appears to be working.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

Got slightly dry rotted cab air bags replaced and discovered the carrier bearing is also a bit rotted, so doing that before mounting by DROM on the bed and covering access to those parts.

My '08 730 has less than 84K miles and so careful inspection is ongoing and preventative maintenance in happening.  Also including an experienced mechanic to do a 90 day inspection on the truck for some perspective.

Marcel

Replaced cab shocks and got a new interior door panel yesterday. Now I just have to remember how it all goes back together. It was actually $308 from Freightliner. Used was $220 from VanderHaggs. Ut the used one comes with everything on it. Just swap and go but they are all dirty and most were cracked. Not much better than I had. 

I dropped my truck off at the Cummins serví center for an overhead set. They called and said they found a broke adjusting screw on one of the injectors. They ordered it and it should be done tomorrow. He said the cylinder was pretty much dead as a result of the broken screw. Could be the source of my weird knocking kind of noise.

15 hours ago, Rotorhead said:

That looks great. Is the sound proofing doing a good job reducing noise?

I haven't driven it yet. I suspect I won't notice anything until I do the rest of the cab. However, there is a noticeable sound difference when I shut the door compared to the driver's door. 

I'm installing rear fenders on the truck. Bed won't be done for some period of time and we want/need to drive the truck. Bought them used from a friend and the color looks right in the picture but they are painted a solid color and the truck is a little more red and has tons of gold metallic in it. Price was too good to pass up, less than a fourth of new cost. But I have lots of labor to prep them for paint which means taking out every rock chip that came from the inside out. They look like stars in the paint and are not tightly adhered. Two and a half done so far.  K2rfsk4l.jpgoL1OKd8l.jpg

Edited by unimog1300

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to taking it for a test drive yesterday. After new bearings in the rear end and changing some drive shaft angles, I still have a little bit of a vibration. I am going to make another adjustment today.

Edited by jenandjon

I think we have our fuel return line leak fixed. Installed o’rings At both ends of the double flare fittings. This is the return line so it should only be low pressure.

Put a spot of goop on the fittings so to keep them from backing off. It was not leaking but extremely little amount. But the more I tried the worse things got.  

But drove it several times and still no leaks. So off we will go in the am.

Put everything back together and test drove again. I think I finally got it. I couldn't get a vibration even at 90 mph. Before it was steady at 75+. It was windy so I couldn't get it to freewheel very much. That is where it was the most annoying. When towing I only drive 68 so it didn't vibrate except on the backside of long hills.

Well very recently I finally got sound quality high coverage Volvo truck insurance from Progressive Commercial, who knew they have a RV division and very willing to provide insurance.  With my previous companies (Allstate) I was under insured and I knew this with rates around $42 per month.  Allstate dropped all large RV customers or is in the process of doing so at the renewal date.  Then I went to Progressive (not Progressive Commercial) and they dropped me without even telling me I could go to the Commercial side of their own company.  You can't make up this crap, a logical person would think let's keep this customer and send him to our other division.  So protect your assets and get $1,000,000 in coverage just in case it is your fault on the road.  Stay safe out there and have fun on the road.  From Westminster, Co.  Oh the paint shop is in my near future; hood and roof.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

Installed an inverter, independent power distribution busses inside the cab, an ignition controlled fuse block, and a bunch of USB outlets.  Finally getting the interior electrical/accessories squared away.  Now the wife will be happier on travel days.

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

13 hours ago, aknavy said:

Installed an inverter, independent power distribution busses inside the cab, an ignition controlled fuse block, and a bunch of USB outlets.  Finally getting the interior electrical/accessories squared away.  Now the wife will be happier on travel days.

What did you use for USB? Installing some more outlets is on my to do list. 

2 hours ago, jenandjon said:

What did you use for USB? Installing some more outlets is on my to do list. 

I mounted four of these in a piece of aluminum angle, then mounted that to my dashboard shelf.  If 12 outlets don't cut it, I guess we're out of luck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096XCGXJC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The dashboard shelf is similar to this:

https://www.raneystruckparts.com/volvo-vnl-v-truck-custom-dashboard-system-2019/

The USB outlets have their own inline fuse, but also connected them to a Painless Wiring ignition controlled fuse block.  Was able to fit it behind the cup holder in the dash.  The outlets have decent quality wiring, and are backlit when power is on. 

Future update, I'll replace the angle with a 2x3 tube to hide the back of the sockets and the wires, but angle was easy to obtain and worked for proof of concept.  Will post a pic later, but the light wasn't helping yesterday with all black components.

I didn't put them in the dash cause I have zero desire to pull it apart.  The plastic is starting to get brittle and I don't want to be messing with it more than I need to.  That, and drilling holes in it just doesn't sound like fun.

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon