What did you do to your truck today?

jenandjon

I took my cab air bags and rear axle bags out the other day. Wasn't a bad job at all, the mistake I made was not having the new bags in hand before I started.   Went to my local Volvo dealer thinking these would be a stock item, guess I was wrong they said they don't have any in there system and don't know when they might get them in.  I have been looking online but not sure what is a good bag or not so good bag. At least I am not going anywhere for awhile so I have time to look.

2000 Volvo VNL 610

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Sparky242 said:

I took my cab air bags and rear axle bags out the other day. Wasn't a bad job at all, the mistake I made was not having the new bags in hand before I started.   Went to my local Volvo dealer thinking these would be a stock item, guess I was wrong they said they don't have any in there system and don't know when they might get them in.  I have been looking online but not sure what is a good bag or not so good bag. At least I am not going anywhere for awhile so I have time to look.

Man that stinks. I hope you find your parts soon.

7 hours ago, Sparky242 said:

A friend was having trouble finding airbags also, dealer said could be 2 months or more, he found some at a Fleet Pride shop near him. We will find out tomorrow if they fit or not, he took pictures to compare but I have not seen them yet or the bags to compare. Will let you know so if so maybe try them.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Thanks I will check Class8truckparts.com, 4 States truck say they have them in stock but I have heard that song before.   I am not worried about it I will find them somewhere. I will definitely carry a old one on the truck for a spare.

Edited by Sparky242

2000 Volvo VNL 610

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE

I learned a lot about newer trucks, and KW's in particular today.  Some of it I get, and some is just silly.

I wanted to air up my rear suspension to make sure all my wheel openings are equal and centered before painting the bed.  Had a leak at the leveling valve (new valve) so figured I'd air up with shop air rather than start the truck over and over.  I'd fix the leak(s) when the bed's off for paint.  I pulled a plug from an air tank and made up a line to the first toolbox with a quick disconnect.  Plugged it in and it aired that tank only.  Oh well, I had a 50/50 chance, right?  I switched my line to the other tank and sure enough, it aired up, but only that tank.  Huh?  I only have two tanks, and they each only have fittings on one end. No split tank.  Something's fishy.......

Okay, any old farm boy knows you always carry a glad hand with a disconnect just in case.  Tried that.  Nope.  Must be a check vale in the trailer supply.

I finally gave in and climbed down in the space where the leveling valve now resides and found a bad fitting.  No problem.  "Dear, will you hand me the pick set?"  KW doesn't use conventional push to connect fittings.  Oh no sirree.  Pull out the collet and slip that pick in there and pull out a piece of shiny metal that's now all bent out of shape.  To top it off, said fitting was 3/8" line but 1/4" npt.  Ain't got one of those.  NAPA had them, for only $12.84 ea.  My lovely shop princess was kind enough to make the parts run for me.

While she was gone, I used my phone to see what kind of fittings KW uses.  A few minutes of poking around and I found a fitting to connect to a factory line on the frame behind the driver's side front tire.  WHAT?  Called the KW shop and they said yessir, you can plug in to that with shop air so to be all aired up w/o starting the motor.

Oh yeah.  The missing third tank?  It's snuggled between the frame and the air dryer, and is roughly 12" in diameter, but only 5" long.  Who'd of thunk?????

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Good info for 

10 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I learned a lot about newer trucks, and KW's in particular today.  Some of it I get, and some is just silly.

I wanted to air up my rear suspension to make sure all my wheel openings are equal and centered before painting the bed.  Had a leak at the leveling valve (new valve) so figured I'd air up with shop air rather than start the truck over and over.  I'd fix the leak(s) when the bed's off for paint.  I pulled a plug from an air tank and made up a line to the first toolbox with a quick disconnect.  Plugged it in and it aired that tank only.  Oh well, I had a 50/50 chance, right?  I switched my line to the other tank and sure enough, it aired up, but only that tank.  Huh?  I only have two tanks, and they each only have fittings on one end. No split tank.  Something's fishy.......

Okay, any old farm boy knows you always carry a glad hand with a disconnect just in case.  Tried that.  Nope.  Must be a check vale in the trailer supply.

I finally gave in and climbed down in the space where the leveling valve now resides and found a bad fitting.  No problem.  "Dear, will you hand me the pick set?"  KW doesn't use conventional push to connect fittings.  Oh no sirree.  Pull out the collet and slip that pick in there and pull out a piece of shiny metal that's now all bent out of shape.  To top it off, said fitting was 3/8" line but 1/4" npt.  Ain't got one of those.  NAPA had them, for only $12.84 ea.  My lovely shop princess was kind enough to make the parts run for me.

While she was gone, I used my phone to see what kind of fittings KW uses.  A few minutes of poking around and I found a fitting to connect to a factory line on the frame behind the driver's side front tire.  WHAT?  Called the KW shop and they said yessir, you can plug in to that with shop air so to be all aired up w/o starting the motor.

Oh yeah.  The missing third tank?  It's snuggled between the frame and the air dryer, and is roughly 12" in diameter, but only 5" long.  Who'd of thunk?????

Good info for others who may have a KW. 

The fun of doing your own work. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Got 8 new drives on my work truck. Didn't get what I wanted had to get what they have. Got Yokohama for $411 apiece. Same ones I have on the HDT. I got 8 new trailer tires just in case along with 4 hight scrub tires for our tag axles.  I also earned that Michelin is no longer going to make 24 shorts. So if you want some better get them now. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

2 minutes ago, Danfreda1 said:

Little late but did the first oil change in the truck while we were in a state park in Illinois last month. Easier than the one ton truck. 

Ok Dan, inquiring minds want to know how you handled the oil? First time I ever paid someone to change oil was the Volvo with its 38 qt D13. Maybe I need to reconsider . . . or find you!

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Between some construction equipment and an HDT I end up with some larger amounts of oil.  At the local dump they have a recycling center.  They always gladly take all of my used oil.  I just use the containers the new oil came in to carry the used oil.  They even take the containers.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

7 hours ago, Jim & Wilma said:

Ok Dan, inquiring minds want to know how you handled the oil? First time I ever paid someone to change oil was the Volvo with its 38 qt D13. Maybe I need to reconsider . . . or find you!

Hey Jim I had a guy I worked with at the power plant in Springfield bring me 3 5 gallon buckets with lids. Pulled the truck front tires up on a couple 2x6 pieces and drained in the 5 gallon buckets. The friend had a friend who has some kind of oil burner to use for heat for his off grid house. I called an orielly auto parts store near us that would take it as long as it was less than 15 gallons. Our holds 11. 

Our county dump site takes used oil. I usually take over 15 or 20 gallons at a time to get it recycled. Also finished putting the dump tank on the truck this weekend. It now has a 60 gallon tank complete with a flush connection tucked up under the bed for use when boondocking and we have a 75 gallon bladder tank to get fresh water into the trailer.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

16 hours ago, Danfreda1 said:

Hey Jim I had a guy I worked with at the power plant in Springfield bring me 3 5 gallon buckets with lids.

Yep, that’s cheating Dan. I’ve looked for collapsible containers I could use along with a pump to transfer used oil into empty oil jugs. But it ends up being more mess/hassle and more stuff than I want to drag along with us. Of course, I’m morally opposed (read cheap) to take the car to a shop and still change the Smart oil on the road by backing down the ramps just a bit.  

Last couple years have taken the truck to a small shop in LaJara, CO that changes the oil, filters and lubes.  It was $380 this past August which isn’t too bad. They also keep the oil for their shop heater. 

Jim & Wilma

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

13 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Also finished putting the dump tank on the truck this weekend.

Waste tank can come in pretty handy. First time I transferred, the thought occurred how do I know when it’s getting full. We were at a friends place. A “spill” wouldn’t have been too bad except for the lifelong ribbing I would have gotten. Ended up putting a couple probes in top of tank and temporarily hook up a water alarm that screams when near full.

Jim & Wilma

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Jim, I bought 6 cheap water meters. 3 in white and blue to measure the fresh water and 3 in brown and green to measure the black and grey water. We have a macerator toilet and combine that with a macerator pump to get it on the truck and then follow with grey water, the meter should work OK for what I need. Now if I can just remember to always use the white and blue meter for fresh water....😎

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

So I am getting gray/black tanks and freshwater tanks installed in my truck. I am really interested in what sensor you ordered to alert on level. Both my trailer gray and black tanks are larger than the 60 gallon in the truck tanks. I would like to monitor the gray/black on the truck using the macerater transfer pump.. Stinky clean up if I guess wrong.

could you provide a link to the sensor on the level?

Tim & Cheryl
2015 Mobile Suites 39 TKSB3
2009 Volvo 670 D13 I-Shift  “Walter”

Happily Living Somewhere In Nevada

649EF470-4F2A-4D47-8AB9-AFD3462E24F4.jpeg

Howdy All,

Today, I finished up what I have working on for the last month, monsoon rains have been falling in the Nor-Wet we have had twice the normal amount of rain over the last month the area where I can park my truck and trailer is fairly flat but with this much rain is very wet, no quite mud but close.  Of course, 75% of this work was done under the truck or trailer in the muck.

I have been getting ready to go south, needed to get the trailer brakes working, this involved doing a work-around on the jackalopee until the new circuit board that Henry has sent to me arrives, rewiring the wires going to the individual wheels on the trailer and rerouting the hot lead to my brake controller and cleaning up all the mess in the pin box junction box.

Those who have bothered to read my drivel over the years KNOW that "I" and anything electrical do NOT play well together.  However I think I am now ready to travel to Vancouver WA and get the new trailer suspension installed on the 14th and soon after journeying south to have my solar dialed in before heading to Quartszite.

I want to take this opportunity to thank Chad and Brian, without whose online and over the phone help I would NOT have been able to get this done.  Thanks guys, I really do appreciate your help, sorry for being such a pest.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

Busy day, replaced right front brake air can, left can was replaced about a year ago, replaced air lines going from frame to both front air cans, replaced air line going to fan clutch, replaced both cab air bags.  I am tired.

IMG_4914-XL.jpg

Dave

Edited by mr. cob

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg