What did you do to your truck today?

jenandjon

1 hour ago, rpsinc said:

I have completed the install of my DROM.  Started loading it up yesterday.  Love the room and the ability to organize it.

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/9lHIiiOl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/R8wbneAl.jpg[/IMG]

Take the extra IMG tags off the URL to have them post. 

R8wbneAl.jpg

9lHIiiOl.jpg

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy All,

I have been chasing an intermittent ground on my Hayes Brake Controller, the brake controller works, but when the ground isn't grounding the brake lights stay on as if the brakes are applied.  The problem is when the quick disconnect plug was fitted to the wires the ground wire didn't get crimped as it should so I cram it into place everything works as it should, I don't have the tools needed to take the wires out of the fitting so I have been doing backyard fixes, today I wedged a piece of a paper clip into the crimp fitting that also lays against the wire, this worked, I am thinking if I just solder that paper clip in-place the problem should go away.  All'yall KNOW how much I like to work with wires and my expertise in doing so.

Next up, take the inner door panel off the passenger side door of the Pete, there is a little spring inside the bottom door latch assembly that was worn out or broke.  The door would open and close but it wouldn't latch tight and if bucking a hard head wind the door would shake a bit.  Of course the whole latch assembly was riveted to the outer door skin, so way above my pay grade to replace it.  Went down to the hardware store, bought a two inch long spring with eyes on the end, zip tied that bugger in place and the door opens, closes and latches the way it's supposed too.  All in all a pretty good day, bonus, it wasn't raining and the sun was almost shining.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I have been getting a check engine fault last couple drives. I hooked up my scan tool and it showed a low/high or short to the differential pressure sensor for the DPF. I ordered an aftermarket part that said it was from kmdeisel. It was 45$ vs 210$ for a Cummins one. Well after I ordered it I checked the tracking a day later. No surprise I suppose but it was shipping from China. Anyway today’s first trip I got no check engine fault. 

Chuck

Edited by Rotorhead

So we learned some things on the way to/from the ECR.  On a newer truck, using the commercial fifth wheel slide control to air the ET hitch may not be a good thing.  Every time you slow down for a traffic light or such, a message pops up reminding you that the hitch is unlatched, which of course it's not.  Plus, the cruise control doesn't work.

So today, I pulled the truck in the shop and prepped for a little plumbing job.  I'm putting a "t" in the rear suspension supply for my air source, then to a ball valve, another "t" with one branch going to the hitch, and the other to another ball valve.  That way I can isolate the hitch, and dump the pressure if need be.  Handy sometimes when hitch'n or un-hitch'n.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Sooo, life got in the way.  I got back on track today.  Got my plumbing pieces together, welded up some mounts, drilled a couple holes and tapped them, and lastly, painted the fittings.  It'll be ready to install in the morning.

BUT, I discovered a design flaw in the ET hitch.  Well, to be honest, I discovered a way to screw up so that part of the hitch no longer holds hands as intended.  IF you forget to air up the hitch, and IF you leave the campground turning pretty tight and also doing it on a hill, the bottom of the pin box may catch the bolt holding the snubber under the sled, shearing it off.  I noticed the missing bolt, found the snubber rolling around inside the hitch box.  Found a suitable bolt and re-attached, and promptly cut the threads on it and the surviving bolt to the top of the nut.  Had the snubbers been installed with proper length bolt, it likely wouldn't be an issue.  But, make something foolproof and a new strain of fool will arrive shortly.....

Update:  I installed my t/valves and had no leaks.  However, I discovered the the leveling valve in the ET has a check valve.  Had a chat with another member who's doing a similar mod, and decided to tap into the output side of the leveling valve, rather than the input.  Same functionality.  He also is using a three way valve rather than my cobbled up plumbers nightmare.

RhZH9gIl.jpg

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

On 4/24/2022 at 8:11 PM, mr. cob said:

I have been chasing an intermittent ground on my Hayes Brake Controller, the brake controller works, but when the ground isn't grounding the brake lights stay on as if the brakes are applied.  The problem is when the quick disconnect plug was fitted to the wires the ground wire didn't get crimped as it should so I cram it into place everything works as it should, I don't have the tools needed to take the wires out of the fitting so I have been doing backyard fixes, today I wedged a piece of a par clip into the crimp fitting that also lays against the wire, this worked, I am thinking if I just solder that paper clip in-place the problem should go away.  All'yall KNOW how much I like to work with wires and my expertise in doing so.

Mr. Cob,  you still having problems?  

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

9 hours ago, NeverEasy said:

Mr. Cob,  you still having problems?  

Howdy Chet,

If your talking about the wiring, it's "fixed" for now but I know it's not right, plug needs to be taken apart and all wires reinserted to repair it properly, but for now it's working.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Mr. Cob

OK, fixed.  Just remember that the ground is the only return path for the BLUE wire to the trailer.  Electrically, it is the same as a bad crimp on the BLUE wire (trailer brakes). 

If in doubt, cut a piece of 10 awg wire (preferably white) long enough to go from a screw on the cover of the Hayes to a screw or bolt in the metal part of the dash.  Crimp yellow ring crimp connectors to both ends and attach.  

Hope this finds you well.  Health problems on this end are keeping us grounded.  Hating missing the ECR but such is life.

Chet

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

19 hours ago, NeverEasy said:

Mr. Cob

OK, fixed.  Just remember that the ground is the only return path for the BLUE wire to the trailer.  Electrically, it is the same as a bad crimp on the BLUE wire (trailer brakes). 

If in doubt, cut a piece of 10 awg wire (preferably white) long enough to go from a screw on the cover of the Hayes to a screw or bolt in the metal part of the dash.  Crimp yellow ring crimp connectors to both ends and attach.  

Hope this finds you well.  Health problems on this end are keeping us grounded.  Hating missing the ECR but such is life.

Chet

Howdy Chet,

Thanks for the tip on running a separate ground, I will do that and install it just to make sure until I get a chance to fix the plug properly.

We are well, back home in the rain and gloom but in good health so really can't complain, do hope your health problems get better soon.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Cool plate indeed.  I like it.

I changed a wiper blade today.  Under less than ideal circumstances.  We were driving home from having the camper worked upon in western TN, it some showers and tried to run the wiper.  The passenger side did a fancy full gainer with a half twist and was just hanging there.  Got off the highway and tried to fix it, but no luck.  There were storms all around us, so I was pretty sure we'd need the wipers before we got home.  Tried a couple convenience stores, and finally found a truck stop which had something "good enough".

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

I have had the trailer hooked up for a couple weeks now. I might drive it to the campground sometime this week. I need to get it out and exercise it. I don't like to leave it sit for more than 3 months at a time.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on many fifth wheel repairs, but finally made time for the Volvo.  I bought some fenders and mounting brackets in Elk City, about March 22.  We stored them in the truck and fifth wheel basement for 2800+ miles.  This week I spent drilling 3/4" holes in the frame, and 3/8" holes in the fenders for the bracket locations.  The old homey fenders, which have served more or less flawlessly for 4 years, are going out in the dumpster tomorrow.  In pieces.  When I get photos I will post them.

In case anyone is wondering why it took so long, first came the internal debate over planning to have a bed made.  (we still haven't)  Then retirement and heading out on the road, then when the ambition and time seem to coincide, the final brick in the wall was the huge cost of having the steel fenders and brackets shipped to a location. 

The truck parts place in Elk City was the first place (last year or this) where we had actually been, and they had them in stock.  I called all over the Rio Grand Valley with no luck.  One custom place had some beautiful fiberglass single axle fenders, but couldn't help me at all with mounting them.  They probably still have them.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This morning I quit procrastinating and tore into my driver's seat.  I'd found that the seat was incredibly uncomfortable after about 200 miles, which is unacceptable.  So, I ponied up at the KW dealer and bought a new foam seat cushion.  I would have bought cover too, except it was on back order and another stupid amount of money.  $75 for the foam was bad enough.

After much searching, I found a video in how to remove the cushion.  It's not as straight forward as one might think.  Some cursing and sweat was involved.  Anyways, after vacuuming up the old deteriorated foam, I installed the new one and put it all back together.  I think we're meeting Paul and Paula Gillenwater for lunch later n the week, so I'll give it a test run.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Almost embarrassed to show it with all of the super cool stuff everyone  else has, but the build is finally about 95% done. It's trip ready anyway. Just needs to be washed and the new wheel cover set installed. Once I get my sidexside,I will build the powered ramp on the back.

1.jpg

I'm a work'n on it.

What?  Just a teaser pic?  Zoom in a bit and show us some details.  It looks pretty dang nice so far.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

3 hours ago, Deezl Smoke said:

Almost embarrassed to show it with all of the super cool stuff everyone  else has, but the build is finally about 95% done. It's trip ready anyway. Just needs to be washed and the new wheel cover set installed. Once I get my sidexside,I will build the powered ramp on the back.

1.jpg

Nice looking about 300 inch w.b. more pictures

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

Just finished replacing my drivers side door rod.  These are plastic parts which commonly break and when they do the door does not open from outside.  Trick, put a tie wrap around the snap together section.  $15 part at Volvo and they have many of them in stock. ..  ..

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

We took the truck to lunch today.  It was a bit over 60 miles each way to meet with Paul and Paula Gillenwater at a nice little winery in southern Indiana.  My arm is finally working the gear shift a little better.  Now If I can just get my foot used to that touchy throttle.......  That new seat cushion seems a good bit better too.

P&P asked about many of you.  They miss the old group, but they're moving on with life, and doctors appointments.  I hope I never get old.

We filled up at Costco on the way back at a price about $0.80 less than the stations around here.  Truck stops out by the interstate are running about $1.30 more.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully fixed another leak. I noticed a lot of fresh oil on the rubber hose connecting the fill tube. IT was rock hard and came off in chunks. No way it was sealing properly. Once I got it off, I couldn't squeeze it without it breaking. I cleaned the entire area so on my next drive I can check for more leaks. 

CqVz2gfl.jpg

8qmdFZrl.jpg

On 6/29/2022 at 8:56 AM, Deezl Smoke said:

1.jpg

Does that have the 565 X15?