What did you do to your truck today?

jenandjon

1 hour ago, jenandjon said:

There are a couple places close to me that do wraps. Whenever the time comes to do cosmetics it my truck will be wrapped. At the rate I'm going that will be never. 

There's at least half a dozen places that do wraps in my town.  None would touch a semi-tractor.

Be sure to call around and find a place that will before you are in a time crunch.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

There's at least half a dozen places that do wraps in my town.  None would touch a semi-tractor.

Be sure to call around and find a place that will before you are in a time crunch.

These 2 shops do semi-trucks all the time. They are both really good too. One is in South Sioux City Ne the other in West Point. When I got the signage and pin striping done on my work truck in So. Sioux City, they had a semi in there getting wrapped. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

23 hours ago, jenandjon said:

Have you thought about having it wrapped? It's a lot cheaper than paint. 

Yes we did it was around $8,500, much cheaper than paint. That would have been swirled to match the camper, I was just afraid on how long it holds up.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

I hosed off the back of the KW today.  It was covered in welding/grinding dust and cat prints.

All the bed pieces are now at the paint shop.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I actually did this a few days ago. Had to perform minor surgery on my minimizer fender on the work truck. Side dump trailer caught it and ripped a hole in it. In the picture it's been removed and set on another fender to work on. All this goes to the inside where its hidden. Before I go back to a side dump, I need to build a riser for the 5th wheel. 

wJz0JFxl.jpg 

• 2 weeks later...

Checked with the shop that has my differential. No bearing kits available but he has got them individually through a couple different vendors. Shold have it back together next week so I can stuff it back in. He did say that even though the bearings were out of spec and the pinion bearings were pretty bad he does not think this is the source of my vibration. So, if anything I will know the reared is in good shape. 

On 12/19/2021 at 7:03 AM, Av8r3400 said:

Good luck finding someone to do it.  I looked in this area for 6 months and no one wanted to just wrap the fenders and skirts on my truck, so I had them done with Bedliner.

I like this idea as I have access to the product and have all the equipment to do it myself.  There is a company that offers it in colors plus I have learned that with some automotive paint, you can get REAL close to a color match.

Marcel

• 3 weeks later...

I touched up a couple spots of seam sealer I'd missed under the bed. Hung the heavy duty (3/4" thick) mud flaps, re-assembled the car rail extensions, and plugged in the trickle charger so she'll be ready to go to the paint shop in the morning.  Red top coat on the vertical surfaces and it'll be ready to hang the boxes and wire the lights.  Teaser pick tomorrow after I pull it outside.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Finally had time to take a short test drive after installing the differential.  Noting blew apart and it's not leaking oil, so I guess we did something right. 

17 hours ago, Rotorhead said:

If I just block the passage off will I get any codes/faults?

Any EGR only engines don't have the sensors to detect blockage. That's why mechanics would have such a hard time troubleshooting problems.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

2 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Any EGR only engines don't have the sensors to detect blockage. That's why mechanics would have such a hard time troubleshooting problems.

Ok thanks. As I tear into things I see why you say EGR kills engines. That system is a very bad idea. Maybe a cleaner fuel would have been better? I have been mixing JET A in with my diesel. I don't know if there is any benefit or not. It seems like it would be a less sooty fuel.

Getting ready to pull the passenger door apart. The panel is broken so the inside door handle won't work. I have to try to fix it because used door panels are $200. New are $400. Most places want to sell me a whole door for $300.

3 hours ago, jenandjon said:

Getting ready to pull the passenger door apart. The panel is broken so the inside door handle won't work. I have to try to fix it because used door panels are $200. New are $400. Most places want to sell me a whole door for $300.

I contemplate this from time to time.  Have you found a good how to video, or are you just winging it?

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

2 hours ago, Sculptor said:

I contemplate this from time to time.  Have you found a good how to video, or are you just winging it?

It's pretty easy. Remove a few screws, then the door panel pops off. It helps if you have one of those plastic panel removal tools. Once you're inside, it's fairly obvious how the pieces come apart. I've completely rebuilt my passenger side door latch mechanism, just waiting for the motivation to do the driver's side door.. Hopefully, the motivation arrives before the door actually breaks... Jay

Freightliner is different from Volvo. It's all screws.  I had it apart once before so I kind knew how to do it. I am probably going to buy a whole new used door for not much more money than just the panel cost. I will be putting sound deadening material in the door. I will have pics in the next couple weeks of that. I just ordered some Kill mat sound deadener.