What did you do to your truck today?

jenandjon

16 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

This is kind of like sitting around the campfire, regailing each other with tales of wins, losses, and bitter tears. Specific trouble? Do a search, then post a specific question.

That is exactly what I intended this thread to be. Just shooting the bull. Any really Technal stuff should be a new topic. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

I put a new inverter in our T680. Seems the old one had an issue with the AC bypass on shore power. Old one...a Cooper Bussman was original to the truck with a build date of 6/2015. Called Eaton and talked with a really nice guy who crossed my PACCAR OEM to the current one. Keith at Eaton said it was approaching the end of its useful life. It's a direct fit for size and wiring since the original was factory installed. I just had to swap the two 6" wiring harnesses and unhook a phone cord from the old one to the new one and replace the old display in the bunk with the new one since it has software updates. That takes two screws and unhooking a telephone cord and then reverse for the install, it looks no different than the old one. By going with the Eaton inverter I didn't have to rewire anything...cost me more money but way less time for me on the install. We are leaving for Branson in a week and didn't need a new project on the truck. I'm electrically challenged so David (Georgia Hybrid) helped with what I needed to look for...thank you.

On our 2013 VNL730 we have a factory radio which we have XM Sirius connected.  The XM part quit working this past winter or spring.  According to a Volvo forum I’m on, it’s very common for the antenna to fail.  The XM antenna is not part of the multiplexer in our overhead area.  It’s a standalone.  
My wife and I dug into it a month ago by pulling apart the instrument panel to get a look at the back of the radio.  Sure enough, the XM antenna clips to the back of the the radio with a connector I had never heard of before called a Fakra.  
They are still available on the internet but we were moving a lot since Labor Day.  So I found an XM antenna with today’s standard connector at the Radio Shack in Livingston.  My preference is to buy from a small merchant, so I bought it, thinking I’ll deal with an adapter later.

Yesterday we took it apart again, and cut the factory antenna in the overhead, stripped the tiny coax, and tested the cable continuity, which was good.  (Stretching my electrical capabilities to the max I might add) 

Then clipped and stripped the wire on the new antenna, soldered and shrink wrapped the connection.  The new antenna wire was even smaller than the old one.   I used one of those clamp-style strippers which was good for the tiny wires, but one was even too small for those, and I had to use the regular pliers-style with a little extra muscle to cut the tiny insulation.
The XM radio works like it always did!

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Have not heard that you have tried this simple test:  Hook a wire to the CB radio ground terminal.  Hook the other end to the negative strip at the batteries.  Try to start the truck.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

2 hours ago, rpsinc said:

Can you share that forum address with me?  Having problem getting my '08 730 started.  Maybe there will be an answer there before I get it towed to the dealer.

It’s on Facebook.  It’s called “Volvo Masters”.  There are mostly pro drivers on there, but some repair experts who are pretty patient.  You will get some smartazz comments from truckers who are bored and like attention, but also some good info.  A guy named Nick Purcella seems like one of the best.

Lead off by stating your make, model, year, engine, trans, secondary info like was it recently repaired by you or someone else.  Symptoms.  Anything relevant.  Like Cotreker said, first thing to check is the ground connection near the batteries, and maybe replace/bypass the main battery shutoff if it has one.  Especially if nonstarting is intermittent.  Hope it helps.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Haven't done much with the HDT lately. But this shed is getting torn down and replaced. This is project I've been wanting to get done for a while. My Grandpa's 54 chevy. 35,000 miles on it.  Mice got in the clutch and made a nest. So, pull the engine and trans freshen it up go through the brakes and it should be back on the road. 

dofB6gfl.jpg

FK9QytEl.jpg

Dan we feel your pain. We're in Branson right now but had an unplanned stop in your old work area at the Springfield CIT KW dealer. Got an SCR fault right at the KW dealer exit. Pulled in and they said they could look at it shortly after they got back from lunch. Found outlet NOX sensor internally faulted. They had one in stock and put it in, got it up to temperature and did a regen. Then took it for 30 minute test drive to clear Def derate. $664 for the sensor, $437 labor, $39 shop supplies and some tax.....=$1210. No issues the rest of the trip. 90 miles seems to be our number for fault codes, happened on the way to the ECR and now to Branson. Saw your pics working on the Smart. Just had the back end off the 2015 to replace the muffler. 

On 9/30/2022 at 9:15 AM, Danfreda1 said:

Took the truck in a couple weeks ago when a code kept coming and going. Def quality sensor. They only had it a couple days to diagnose and replace. Never thought at 30000 miles that would go out but all is good now. Only 1 year warranty on the part so it was not covered under warranty 

That happened to one of our trucks. Its 2015 KW with a Cummins. less than 30,000 the injector went out and dumped the exhaust full of def. It was out of warranty, so It's deleted now. 

Got the check engine fixed under Cummins warranty. Had the jake setting changed so it's like old school where you dont have to hit the service brake to engage it.

My new ramps showed up from Discount ramps to load my Polaris.

Maybe I'll get a chance to go on a shake down trip this year some time.

20221002_161140_resized.jpg

20221002_162807_resized.jpg

20221002_163516_resized.jpg

I'm a work'n on it.

• 2 weeks later...

First day out on this trip, a yellow light came on.  Wife looked it up in the owners manual and it said it's okay to continue to drive.  A bit of black tape to cover it up and all's well.......😁

Seriously, we'll be home in a couple days.  I'll get it over to the KW dealer and open my wallet.

Oh yeah, after 11 years with an auto-shift, I'm LOVING this 13 speed manual.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

28 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

First day out on this trip, a yellow light came on.  Wife looked it up in the owners manual and it said it's okay to continue to drive.  A bit of black tape to cover it up and all's well.......😁

Seriously, we'll be home in a couple days.  I'll get it over to the KW dealer and open my wallet.

Oh yeah, after 11 years with an auto-shift, I'm LOVING this 13 speed manual.  

Do tell, what do you like about it?  I have zero manual shift HDT experience.  A couple of small cars, bikes, and a tractor, ,,,

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Kevin,  to me. it's a throw-back to simpler times.  I grew up stirring gears on old International grain trucks.  But this is so smooth and easy to shift.  I can skip gears, up or down, split half gears on steep hills, an don't need to clutch any more than I did with the gen 1 Eaton.  Backing up to the trailer is gentle and smooth too.  That said, I do sometimes grind a pound.

But, shifting these is nothing like shifting my old '64 Falcon or "72 Challenger.  No synchronizers means either double clutch, or no clutch.  You ear/arm/right foot must all work together without interference from your brain.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

• 1 month later...

I have finally decided to get a rear bumper and receiver hitch. Ive built several in my mind and even mocked up a couple but didn't really like any of them. I want more than just a receiver hitch. I want a bumper as well. I ran across this, and it should fit the bill. 

548QQUSl.jpg

Yesterday, I drilled a hole in a support beam on the bed to let out water that was getting in where I missed applying seam sealer.  Also, made up the backing plates so I can mount the "training mirrors" on the hood.  I'm a bit apprehensive about drilling holes in the hood. 😮

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

I got a hitch ordered. I opted for a curt weld on rather than the one above. I did some measuring, and I didn't like how it was going to sit.  Now I just need to wait until the new building gets put up so I can work on it. 

GcEG7JQl.png

I drilled four holes in my hood for a "training" mirror.  It took almost a year to get up the courage to do it, but once I poked in the first one, it was easy.  It looked like one heckuva job, but my lovely Shop Princess suggested that I remove the inner fender and suddenly I could get in close and actually reach to the work area.  But alas, we had to cut the job short so she could do some volunteer work locally.  Tomorrow we'll drill the other four holes on the other side and mount said mirrors.  Pics later.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN