Well let the fun (spending BEGIN!

Larry and Robin

It's all coming together.

Bought a DRV Fullhouse MX450 at MHS RV in Alvarado TX in February. Had to tow it home (hour East of Nashville) with my 2017 F350 SRW. Wasn't as bad as I thought, just took it real easy, set the cruise at 60-62 and drove very defensively. Managed to make it to the East coast rally in Crossville last week.

After a 3-4 month search found the truck for conversion, 2022 Volvo VNL860. Nice clean truck, 412k miles, 8800 hours, 455hp w/ turbo compounding, iShift, 2.47 gears, Lopro tires, Disc brakes all around, twin 150 fuel tanks, white. Should get good fuel economy. The only 2 things we didn't get that we wanted were, either gray or silver and a locking rear axle. Going to see about doing decals to make it look like it belongs with the 5'er. Trying to research either an axle swap or retro fitting the existing with a locker. Any of y'all done a retrofit?

Have the paperwork, plate, title, private RV stickers, etc. all in order so we can fly down next week and pick it up from Bruckners in Fort Worth. Want to do a Jeep/Bronco bed (see pic).

Let the conversion begin!

2012 DRV MX450.jpg

Volvo 1.jpg

Volvo 2.jpg

Volvo 3.jpg

Volvo 4.jpg

Jeep Bed.jpg

2021 DRV Fullhouse MX450

2022 Volvo VNL860

Nice looking truck!  Will the single axle carry the load with the Jeep?  I carry a Subaru Crosstrek along with a 100 gallon water tank and a 100 gallon waste tank.  I was afraid the single axle would be overloaded.  

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I’m told it will, but I doubt it would have the capacity with water / black water tanks. I’m thinking will will get pillow tanks that we can store when empty and then fill when the Jeep is off.

2021 DRV Fullhouse MX450

2022 Volvo VNL860

1 hour ago, Larry and Robin said:

I’m told it will, but I doubt it would have the capacity with water / black water tanks. I’m thinking will will get pillow tanks that we can store when empty and then fill when the Jeep is off.

Larry,

First congratulations and very nice looking truck.  Just a word of advice.  I used to give a seminar at the ECR concerning that very issue and you will be surprised on how easy it is to unload/overload the front axle or rear axle based simply on lever arms and fulcrums.  Please, please don’t just take someone’s word for it that it will be okay.  Do the math yourself, it’s pretty simple and in fact if you have any aviator friends it’s a simple weight and balance.  The worst thing to do is remove the second drive axle then find you are marginal for doing the things you want to do now or later.  Heck, when we started in 2009, no one gave a thought to singling because everyone was carrying Smart cars at 1600 lbs.  was hard to impossible to cause an axle problem.  Lots of difference between that and a vehicle that weighs 4-5X that weight, a drom  and other things you will find you don’t want to live without.  That’s why I remained tandem…for future needs.  I’ve even seen some folks are considering “stackers” on their vehicles.  As a community, our safety record is pretty good and the regulators/Leo’s are not too concerned with us.  If the safety record declines, guarantee that will change.  You have gone about this the right way and I applaud you. I’m getting old so please take this as some fatherly advice and my hope is you don’t find it meddlesome or offensive.  BTW that talk is in a PowerPoint format that I could send to you if you would like it.  Talks about how to calculate effects of singling short, mid, or long and other tid bits.  I will say I stole the talk from Mark Shelby with his permission so he did all the legwork, lol.  

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Larry - One thing I didn't notice until just now:  In the photo of Greg's carbon bed with the jeep on it, that is a model 670 truck.  A much smaller and lighter cab/sleeper than your 860.  Even with the composite bed, I would side with the other guys here that the weight on your steer axle with a jeep and no trailer may be a concern.  Not to mention, when fully loaded with jeep and trailer, what is the weight on the truck, steer and drive?

I would advise extensive research before incurring the expense of singling, only to be overweight on one or both axles afterword.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Congratulations Larry!  I jumped in and singled mine.  I never had a plan for more weight like you do tho.  Just saying I agree with the folks above.  I wish you well on your project ahead!!

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

10 hours ago, Larry and Robin said:

If you don’t mind sharing, I’d love to take a look at it. Whereabouts in TN are you?

Be happy to share.  Just PM me an email address.  We live right outside Knoxville.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

As above, plan ahead for what you may do in the future.  I left both our trucks tandem, and haven't regretted it.  The difference in fuel, tires, etc. is small compared to the advantages of having the better ride and traction.  It does suffer a bit in maneuverability, but not much.

73E38FCF-A70E-41BD-81C0-C90F184A4374.jpeg

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Congrats on the new stuff. Hope to see you at the National Rally in October. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Just a note on the front axle weight, it is becoming more common on the newer fleet trucks to have a 14k or better front axle. In the drive for fuel efficiency, they are trying to close the gap between the cab and trailer, and can’t do that and only have 12k on the front. So it’s worth looking into what your truck has for a front axle rating.

I agree with Moresmoke. When we were looking for our 630 we were talking about singling it. We were told by the experts back then to be aware of the weight transfer to the front axle when we removed the rear one. It was not a problem since ours is a heavy and has a 14.6K front axle. We singled and never looked back. That was 2009.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Circling back to a post above, do some ciphering to be sure you aren't overloading the rear when hitched up.  Pin weight likely transfers weight from the front axle, depending on hitch placement. I can't imagine having the hitch far enough back to carry a Jeep, that you can even get close to being safe singled.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

I appreciate all of the feedback. We will take the time to do the math. I believe the front axle is a 13.2k, will be able to tell you for sure tomorrow. The rears are MT-40-14x. If we do single I really want to upgrade the rear to a DCDL locker. Anybody done that upgrade? Easy or hard? Can the rear carrier be swapped out or is it a replacement axle?

Not opposed to leaving tandem, just like the looks, additional storage and potential long term savings with singling, but ultimately will let the math drive the decision. I also want to factor in getting a different trailer at some point in the future. Currently have a DRV Fullhouse MX450 with a pin weight of approx. 3300. I want to make sure we will have the additional capacity for a heavier trailer such as a New Horizons, Luxe or something similar.

Flying out tonight to Ft. Worth to pick the truck up.

2021 DRV Fullhouse MX450

2022 Volvo VNL860

I am not ignoring you Larry.

We are getting ready to leave for a few days. Just taking our van camper for a short trip. Till Monday.

I think if you search history on the forum for Wrknrvr bed photos, you might find some. I believe about 5 years ago I did post some pictures on this forum.

I did choose to leave it tandem.  When you do not have the RV hooked up it will most likely turn on the front, rear axle. I did test test several times.

I did make a sliding hitch to allow the truck to be shorter, when not towing. The actual bed is only 16” longer than the frame.

Should be back Monday night.

4 hours ago, Larry and Robin said:

If we do single I really want to upgrade the rear to a DCDL locker. Anybody done that upgrade? Easy or hard? Can the rear carrier be swapped out or is it a replacement axle?

Some Meritor axles can be converted to a locker with little to no modification, by just swapping the carrier, since some of their tandem sets uses on of their single rears as the rearmost tandem axle.  Few if any Eaton axles can be converted to a locker without modification, because they use two unique axles in their tandem axle sets.

In your case, though, with the chances of overloading a single axle being high, you definitely don't want to go with a 19k or 20k axle from the rear of a tandem axle set anyway.  Try to find someone that has a 23k or heavier single axle with an appropriate axle ratio, a locker, and the suspension to match, and might possibly even take your tandem axles in trade.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

X2 what Phil wrote.  It would likely save you a lot of work, and maybe some $$, to find a 23k# rated axle. Nearly all the newer trucks with an air tag use that as their drive axle.

Also, don't forget that even with a heavier axle, your tires might not be up to the task.  So many details......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Yea, I had problems with it a few days ago. Haven't tried again since. Don't know who to notify that it seems to be broken. May just do  a new topic. Didn't need to Worked today. 

Thanks to who ever fixed. 

Rod

cusOIWpl.jpeg

Edited by lappir
Testing photo attachment link.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

I just remembered that I have fiscal pictures at home. When I get back Monday or Tuesday I think I can find them.     They actually show the frame and exterior being put together. I believe there maybe hitch sliding assembly also.

will keep informed 

News on my end of this subject.

was traveling last Friday. 400 miles away from home. Transmission went out in the van. Lots of calls. Coach net was good.

Finally rented a U-Haul truck and trail to haul van home. Had to take the fenders off the trailer to load van. Then put fenders back on. Got home Sunday night. Late.

unloaded van yesterday after removing the fenders. Put fenders back on. Returning the U-Haul stuff this morning. Then order rebuilt trans. Should be hear tomorrow.

The photos are side tracked, at least until U-Haul stuff in delivered.

spent a few bucks on that trip.   But I will find the pictures.

56 minutes ago, Wrknrvr said:

News on my end of this subject.

was traveling last Friday. 400 miles away from home. Transmission went out in the van. Lots of calls. Coach net was good.

Finally rented a U-Haul truck and trail to haul van home. Had to take the fenders off the trailer to load van. Then put fenders back on. Got home Sunday night. Late.

unloaded van yesterday after removing the fenders. Put fenders back on. Returning the U-Haul stuff this morning. Then order rebuilt trans. Should be hear tomorrow.

The photos are side tracked, at least until U-Haul stuff in delivered.

spent a few bucks on that trip.   But I will find the pictures.

Not one thing then it's something else. Sorry for the inconvenience hope that didn't ruin the reason for the trip. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Well things happen in groups, sometimes?

Wife decided to continue with vision problems.  About ten days ago she had laser surgery to clean a problem up from cataract surgery.

Monday she woke up with a problem.   Got a shot in the left eye.   Told surgery is June 11th.

I have a rebuilt transmission sitting here. To be installed asap. But need to keep watch on her every 2 hours.

I will find those photos.   Vern