"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730 RV Hauler Build

bmzero

Speaking of u-bolts, do you guys have any suggestions on where to get some u-bolts for this setup? I'm not having any luck finding them on the Interwebs. I need them at least 13" long, preferably 14", with at least a 5/8" bolt diameter. I have checked the usual sources, McMaster, Fastenall, Grainger, etc. I would like to have square u-bolts, which is making the search harder.

Dave, I cannot drop in from the top due to the cross member design. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might see if B&W would share their supplier since you have one of their hitches. They use some serious "U'"s on their hitches. Also might call theses folks. http://www.suncorstainless.com/long-u-bolt

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

We have a couple of local trailer/truck parts shops that bend custom ubolts.

Thanks for the links, everyone.

I didn't think about having some made locally. There is a good truck shop close. I'll ask them tomorrow. Thanks.

Any good spring shop can bend ubolts. That is where we got ours at.

We have 4 of our eight that had to be mounted upside down. Not a big problem, just took two people to install.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

None of mine were bent. Flat plate on top and another on the bottom. took more nut's and bolts that way (double each end) but a whole lot easier to install. The nuts came free with the bolts at least at the place where I got them in South Florida. Don't remember the name but if you need I can dig through my paper work or call Total Truck in West Palm Beach for their name and number. Several years with my box and nothing has moved. MIni Cooper and Isuzu Vehicross have rode in the box at one time or another.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I haven't been in one yet, so I will reserve comment until after that happens.

We picked them up at a trailer supply store. They had multiple sizes all sitting on the shelf.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Thanks again for the u-bolt information. A lot of choices there now.

There still seems to be hope for having this bed installed in time to leave for the rally, albeit a small amount of hope.

I finalized the main joists over the weekend and feel that I have a good pattern on the expansion holes (to hang boxes, air lines, wire loom, etc.). It should make for a pretty clean and modular final product.

Here's what's going to laser this morning (under side of bed).

54cda3e6-1ae7-441f-bef0-d382951b730c-s.j

Look what was dropped off by Brown yesterday.

e4c4bad4-e9e2-42a4-8239-493e2bfec7b6-s.j

Some of you may be familiar with these shocks, but what you might not know is that they're built by hand by King Shocks in California. I have worked with King for many years on off road racing shocks. They're the top of the pile, in my opinion, for performance shocks. I just happened to stumble across Road King when searching for good Volvo shocks. So, I made a call to King to see if they were familiar with the brand, which is when they gave me the history on the company and relationship.

These shocks are custom valved to my specs and needs and are a true performance shock. I'm very much looking forward to the difference in ride quality. The drive up to Hutch will be the first road test.

e2ebec3a-bbe2-48dc-bc77-90bce2f32962-s.j

Nice! I went for cheap Gabriel replacements for mine, but was still amazed at the difference in ride quality. And the originals only had a little over 200,000 miles on them.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Nice! I went for cheap Gabriel replacements for mine, but was still amazed at the difference in ride quality. And the originals only had a little over 200,000 miles on them.

As did I. I thought that would be good enough, but I still felt there was significant room for improvement. We'll see how these do.

Bmzero:

So, I'll be the first to ask. How much did these bad boy shocks cost? Inquiring minds need to know. :rolleyes:

Right at $400 each.

King has had those out a couple years now. Very curious how they work out for you.

I have also ran them for years on off-road vehicles . But recently switched to fox shocks when my nephews got a factory deal with their 2 race trucks.

Fox make a great product, too.

Interested in how your shocks work out!

How did you know where to set valving? Did you just give the builder axle weights and he made the call?

They have made several sets for single axle Volvos (commercial trucks), so they were familiar with the truck, somewhat. Then, I gave him my weights (scale weight from rear axle, pin weight of trailer, expected bed weight, Smart car weight, etc.).

No way. Build till the last minute! I'm used to this drill with racing. It seems that every race car is built driving down the road, in the trailer on the way to the track.

I just got a text from laser. The bed components are ready. I hope to have the platform on this evening, albeit unpainted.

Dang. Was over at Anderson Alignment in Hutch today. Thought I had hit the gold mine for you bm. He had a whole wall of U bolts and square bolts. Said they had bought out a NAPA store's supply that went out of business.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived