"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730 RV Hauler Build

bmzero

Duh. That's what happens when I type without my glasses. Spell check doesn't catch math errors.

Thanks for going easy on me............ ;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty tense moment today on the first trip up the ramps, but everything went well. The ramps did great.

The wood in the photos will be replaced with a metal support system. It's just temporary.

a22c03f9-d13f-418c-bf27-fa9e5b55fcce-s.j

26cec0a8-1646-43e1-b36d-789fca47d46b-s.j

d19c0373-4186-43c9-aa7e-df8edb57f7f4-s.j

e479a940-c0bb-4c77-b12b-fcd25b33ba51-s.j

9a13bf65-104f-4950-a0a7-3341a9eda30a-s.j

The ramps fold up and fit well in the pocket below the bed.

8c7b965e-a353-44a0-9830-17fac57f2ca5-s.j

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

That's great. Love the license plate on the Smart!

Did you winch it up or drive it up? Id did not look like there was a winch cable at the front?

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

That's great. Love the license plate on the Smart!

Did you winch it up or drive it up? Id did not look like there was a winch cable at the front?

At this angle, no winch necessary. Drives up with no problems. I think the two pivots in the ramps are key.

The front end does snag just a little on the way down. I'll shorten the lower ramp support slightly to accommodate the lower valance on the Brabus. That's why I decided to use wood for the supports during the first tests.

The front end does snag just a little on the way down. I'll shorten the lower ramp support slightly to accommodate the lower valance on the Brabus. That's why I decided to use wood for the supports during the first tests.

Shouldn't have watched this. I have driven my car in and out of the trailer but never filmed it. I am almost always by myself. (Neighbors watching from behind closed doors maybe). My ramps are much shorter so there is less option to steer on the way down. Seemed like you got a little close to coming off on the passenger side ramp coming down just at the end. Now I have to wonder if I am doing that.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Is there space in the stowage to attach some little HM plastic slippers? Rollers are better but any debris on the rails acts like wheel chocks ... slipper skids will maybe bulldoze any debris out the other side...

Are those ramps symmetrical end for end? Could the design allow you to pull them out the driver side and make the system RoRo (Roll on Roll off) or drive on drive off ( DoDo? :lol: )

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Is there space in the stowage to attach some little HM plastic slippers? Rollers are better but any debris on the rails acts like wheel chocks ... slipper skids will maybe bulldoze any debris out the other side...

Are those ramps symmetrical end for end? Could the design allow you to pull them out the driver side and make the system RoRo (Roll on Roll off) or drive on drive off ( DoDo? :lol: )

On this prototype bed kit, there is not. On the next version, there will be. I do like the simplicity of using UHMW.

For this bed, I only did two receiver tubes. In the initial bed kit design, they were going to be optional components, and bolt-in.

b5e0be4c-8a87-4b5c-8471-9a66d7a2f778-s.j

View High Resolution Photo

After spending more time with the bed, I have decided to make the receiver tubes a standard feature and so they will be built into the main frame rails. So, to answer your question, attaching the ramps to the driver's side would be as simple as pulling them out on that side and connecting them to the receiver tubes on that side of the truck.

8ef5897b-a074-468b-958c-1c8b5a9d8f86-s.j

View High Resolution Photo

Very nice.... I like it a lot!!

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I"m headed back out to California to work on another Polaris project, this time carrying an adventure trailer on the bed. I love the versatility of this tie down system.

I'll be in the Anaheim/Ontario area for a week or so.

22ffdc36-eeca-4a2a-85a3-50283fede63d-s.j

bmzero what does your deck system weigh "per foot" and could it be made out of aluminum?

The raw steel is around 130lbs/ft.

I would not change the floor joists to aluminum, but the sides, floor, and all boxes could definitely be made out of aluminum. The floor panels are the heaviest part. Changing those to aluminum or aluminum tread plate would be a huge weight savings. When I get stopped this evening, I'll do a comparison on steel to aluminum floor panels for you.

Don't forget to include some type of isolation between steel and aluminum or you may get a reaction and the aluminum will start breaking down and crumbling. We have seen this happening on our trailer.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Archived