"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730 RV Hauler Build

bmzero

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Top potential drive-ability fixes:

• Front sway bar - I know these trucks weren't designed for a sway bar, but I'm considering adding one. I have been in talks with a company that builds 40-spline sway bars for off road racing trucks (Trophy Trucks), and I think I can make some big handling improvements with one.

Take a look at what's on some of the heavier axles. I have a sway bar on mine (14,600lb) that's probably about an inch and a half in diameter. Might be able to look for some part numbers for you.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Thanks, guys. We are constantly improving the functionality of the site and that old link was collateral damage. I changed the link in that post to point to the new "Gallery" phase that all builds get for the default phase.

http://www.followmybuild.com/bmzero/Volvo-730-HDT-RV-Hauler/Photo-Gallery

does that mean since i caught a error and pointed it out , i get a free membership there????

:P :P :P :P

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

does that mean since i caught a error and pointed it out , i get a free membership there????

:P :P :P :P

Memberships for private individuals will always be free, so YES!

I would love to see some more HDT's on there. We're putting a lot of time and money into making that site perfect for builds such as these.

then you gonna do the 5er?

Lou, I'm hopefully picking up a Cyclone 4000 this week. I have a few customizations planned for it, but not much.

20020725323_4083a72f34_b.jpg

Take a look at what's on some of the heavier axles. I have a sway bar on mine (14,600lb) that's probably about an inch and a half in diameter. Might be able to look for some part numbers for you.

Thanks, David. That's good to know. I'll check into it.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Thanks, Lou. It will be more sinister when the bed and Smart car are done.

make it more sinister would be paint the bottom fairings against the ground and the front bumper and that chrome on the mudflaps black also. then continue the theme on the 5er...

line-X would probably last alot longer and be tougher against rock chips.

shoot me a PM. i have some questions on the website since your a web designer by trade.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem

Memberships for private individuals will always be free, so YES!

I would love to see some more HDT's on there. We're putting a lot of time and money into making that site perfect for builds such as these.

Lou, I'm hopefully picking up a Cyclone 4000 this week. I have a few customizations planned for it, but not much.

20020725323_4083a72f34_b.jpg

Thanks, David. That's good to know. I'll check into it.

you blacking out the wheels on the 5er?

Fulltimer Class of 2007

So, my offer on the Cyclone 4000 was accepted by Camping World in Richmond, IN. I should be going up sometime this week to pick it up, assuming the inspection goes well.

I'm going back and forth whether to take Big Willy up there to get it. It's about an 8 hour drive. My only concern is the hitch. Ideally, I would like to put some more miles on it before an 8 hour road trip. However, it would be cool to pull the new trailer with only the "big" truck instead of the F450. I also don't have any fenders over the rear tires. That is also a concern.

20677320961_7938f28a31_b.jpg

This is the exact model we have wanted for quite a while now. The whole family is super excited. We may leave home and not come back.

So, my offer on the Cyclone 4000 was accepted by Camping World in Richmond, IN. I should be going up sometime this week to pick it up, assuming the inspection goes well.

I'm going back and forth whether to take Big Willy up there to get it. It's about an 8 hour drive. My only concern is the hitch. Ideally, I would like to put some more miles on it before an 8 hour road trip. However, it would be cool to pull the new trailer with only the "big" truck instead of the F450. I also don't have any fenders over the rear tires. That is also a concern.

20677320961_7938f28a31_b.jpg

This is the exact model we have wanted for quite a while now. The whole family is super excited. We may leave home and not come back.

Congrats.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

I say build a cardboard, fake fiver hitch for the Smart and pull up to take delivery with that. See if you get any reaction from the sales guy! :-)

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I don't know what I was thinking when I asked a bunch of HDT'ers whether or not I should drive a HDT to pick up the trailer. Looking back, I could have probably spent that time on something else. :D

I vote for picking it up with the big truck...with the Motus-V4-powered smart car () on the deck for the trip to pick it up, then in the garage on the way home...

Unfortunately, the V4Smart has taken a back burner to the truck build. I would really like to get the bed finished before the national rally. There's no way the V4Smart will be ready by then.

I say build a cardboard, fake fiver hitch for the Smart and pull up to take delivery with that. See if you get any reaction from the sales guy! :-)

Ha, it is a Camping World, so they might not even notice an issue with that.

Unfortunately, the V4Smart has taken a back burner to the truck build. I would really like to get the bed finished before the national rally. There's no way the V4Smart will be ready by then.

Yeah, I get that...too many irons in the fire...literally, in your case. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but the V4smart will be a stroke of genius if you can figure it out and get it running...

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

Go BIG or don't go..

You know your hitch, you know the quality of the parts, the welds, and the design. If it acted in the manner you expected on the test pulls, then it will act the same on a long haul. Make a stop or 2 to check it, look for stress, take some pics, and enjoy the ride.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

stroke of genius

Ah, I see what you did there. "Genius", Smart. Nice. B)

Go BIG or don't go..

You know your hitch, you know the quality of the parts, the welds, and the design. If it acted in the manner you expected on the test pulls, then it will act the same on a long haul. Make a stop or 2 to check it, look for stress, take some pics, and enjoy the ride.

Apparently, that's the plan. I should be headed up Thursday afternoon and returning Friday.

Archived