"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730 RV Hauler Build

bmzero

bmzero what does your deck system weigh "per foot" and could it be made out of aluminum?

I put together a standalone assembly so I could isolate the difference in weight, per section, for going with aluminum. The numbers below also include the rubber isolators and the aluminum extruded VersaTie Series 2 track from Mac's.

23712804035_61ee60195f_b.jpg

23604293102_4218282cf9_b.jpg

23604673462_8f621554e2_b.jpg

With aluminum (.125") used for the floor, this section weighs 137lbs. It is almost 37" long. That comes out to about about 44lbs/ft. With steel for the floor, it comes out to 88lbs/ft. That's more difference than I thought it would be.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put together a standalone assembly so I could isolate the difference in weight, per section, for going with aluminum. The numbers below also include the rubber isolators and the aluminum extruded VersaTie Series 2 track from Mac's.

With aluminum (.125") used for the floor, this section weighs 137lbs. It is almost 37" long. That comes out to about about 44lbs/ft. With steel for the floor, it comes out to 88lbs/ft. That's more difference than I thought it would be.

What about cost/price difference?

Could you please move pricing talk and other direct sales questions to a PM or email? All the rest is fine here - the technical specs and developmental talk. But you really stretch the forum rules when you start on pricing and sales.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Do you expect the aluminum deck to be as durable as the steel deck?

Do you expect the aluminum deck to be as durable as the steel deck?

Depends on how you look at it. I had my current steel panels coated in LineX. It was pretty expensive at $540 for the three panels at a local Line-X installer, but it's very durable and looks great, in my opinion. But, it's also pretty heavy.

The ATP (aluminum tread plate) will be lighter, assuming you went with the same thickness, but will definitely be less durable in terms of load capacity. You would need go up to 1/4 to get similar strength characteristics. That would affect the weight and cost, but would look great and not be susceptible corrosion from nicks and scratches like the steel would be.

As a general rule, not specific to my bed in any way, aluminum will be at least twice (or more) as expensive as steel in the same thickness. However, aluminum does not require paint or bed liner coating like steel does, bringing the cost in check with steel. It was quite a job to sand, prime, and paint my current panels. If I had it to do over again, I would probably have gone aluminum tread plate.

By the way, I made it all the way to California, over 2000 miles, with zero issues, which is a huge contrast from last month's trip. I love the large fuel capacity of this truck!

I'm at Canyon RV park in Anaheim. Seems like a nice park.

Weight is a poor reason to pick aluminium over steel. The weight typically isn't a limiting factor, for our usage. Increased weight when empty will help ride quality. Aluminium is a bear to maintain over steel.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

By the way, I made it all the way to California, over 2000 miles, with zero issues, which is a huge contrast from last month's trip. I love the large fuel capacity of this truck!

I'm at Canyon RV park in Anaheim. Seems like a nice park.

Glad you had a great trip, have fun!

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

44 lbs / ft of deck system would be attractive to someone wanting to deck a 1 ton truck for bikes/ATV's or add a platform to a trailer or motorhome. Integral stowage of the ramps below the deck is attractive....

A deck built to carry ATV's and for basic use would not need 1/4" floor supports. It could be built with 1/8" supports, dropping the weight in half for those components.

Putting the bed to work today hauling some solar panels. I really like the versatility of the Mac's VersaTie system.

18cda075-eb1b-4d7c-80c6-4365790355da-s.j

A Volvo VNL is not the perfect commuter vehicle in Southern California, but it's working so far.

It may not be the perfect commuter vehicle, but I'd rather be in the Volvo than in a smart in LA and orange county traffic. Not necessarily because of safety but size really does matter when driving in Southern California.

I feel whole lot better when I'm in the semi with a lot of visibility in front of me.

Did you drive all the way to SoCal to buy solar panels. They must be a screamer deal. I am looking for a good deal on some panel. Where did you get them? Did they fall of the back of a truck? :rolleyes:

Ha. No. I picked the up on the way out at the factory in Hatiesburg, MS. Here's the data sheet on them - http://www.stion.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Stion_Elevation4_Framed_300-100-002_RevA.pdf

I'm not sure on the pricing for them. They're for another build project I'm doing.

So does that make it a Solar Powered Volvo? :D

Absolutely, it also lets me park in the hybrid parking spots. The Prius drivers out here love that.

It may not be the perfect commuter vehicle, but I'd rather be in the Volvo than in a smart in LA and orange county traffic. Not necessarily because of safety but size really does matter when driving in Southern California.

I feel whole lot better when I'm in the semi with a lot of visibility in front of me.

It goes garner a lot of respect.

• 2 weeks later...

To all a Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year.

I just joined the escapees group and want to thank all who have taken the time to share their knowledge with others so freely.

I’ve been “RV’ing” since the mid 60’s in Idaho in my dad’s pickup and slide in camper. Now my wife and I have grown to an F350 Super Duty 7.3 Crew and a 37’ 5th wheel.

We’ve just discovered the wisdom of the “HDT Hauler” concept and my wife has become a Volvo HDT spec nut over the last two weeks by studying everything she can find on the net. When I showed her the HDT concept she immediately latched onto the idea as the memory of our three axle Palisades 16k 5th wheel made the downhill portion of a Colorado continental divide trip somewhat white knuckled. Had to have the floor board pounded back into shape and the passenger seat recovered as her sphincter chewed a hole in it. That day is still seared in her memory. I don’t think she took a breath until the next day.

Last evening after visiting the kids on the way home she insisted we go to the nearest truck stop and see if we could find a few Volvo’s to get up close and personal with. 7:30 PM and there we were prowling around the lot looking like a couple of lot lizards checking out the assembled “Beasts of Burden”. We decided the 730 looks like the perfect ride for us so the hunt begins.

Mr “bmzero”, your rig is awsome and I’m looking forward to watching your progress as your build continues. GREAT JOB. I’m looking forward to sharing our journey as I’m a constant tinkerer and hope I’m able to add something useful to the pool of knowledge everyone here has created.

Thanks again,

MrStretch

post-54246-0-80377500-1451740255_thumb.jpg

C:\Users\ST\Desktop\RV Truck Combo\Cleaned up rig small.jpg

I understand exactly what you're going through. I spent my childhood on the road racing motocross. We went from racing out of an open, flatbed trailer to motorhomes, to car hauler/living quarters trailers, to toy haulers. None of those were the perfect solution. As soon as I saw what was possible with a HDT, I was hooked. Again, this is not a perfect solution, but it is a close as I have seen to meeting my needs.

I appreciate you checking out the build. You can see a condensed view, mostly photos at http://www.followmybuild.com/bmzero/Volvo-730-HDT-RV-Hauler.

This community has been amazing with providing feedback and suggestions during the build process. I'm sure you will find the same during your build. The key is to keep the photos and updates coming.

Good luck with your truck purchase.

Mr stretch, welcome to the group! If you are near TN in April, check out the ECR rally and you can meet a bunch of us, check out various models in person and sounds like BMzero plans to be there with their setup again this coming event. We will be there too and many of us will let you and the wife take the trucks for a spin to see what it is like to drive one.

Yes, we love pictures and many of us love to spend your money but there are many great suggestions and ways to solve the issues.

BM has come up with a lot of great ideas and has brought them to reality.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you both for your words of encouragement. We are in East Texas, not to far from TN so we are planning on joining you all to visit and learn from the "Masters". I really enjoy your sharing ideas and "workarounds" gives me all kinds of ideas for our 730 Hauler.

I'm looking forward to the forum getting up and running for the new year and all the new "stuff".

Stretch

C:\Users\ST\Desktop\RV Truck Combo\Cleaned up rig small.jpg

Well, I made it back from another whirlwind trip to Southern California. This one was a long one.

All loaded up yesterday with the MIG trailer on the bed of the truck.

b8c8cb84-2b2c-4c01-8667-c3e5ac59bd78-s.j

View High Resolution Photo

The reason I was out there was to build this vehicle.

c22004a7-b8a7-4c86-808e-236dfa5af3cc-b.j

26 hours total driving time to get home. The truck and trailer were perfect along the way, and the MIG trailer didn't fall off!

So far I have close to 20k on the new hitch setup. It has been flawless from day 1. Very happy with everything at this point.

If you have a free minute, please drop over to the Facebook link below and vote for "Brit Mansell - UTVScene".

Vote here - Polaris Facebook Page

Archived