"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730 RV Hauler Build

bmzero

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New grill installed today. Bling bling, sort of. I opted for no chrome on the bezel. The new emblem was enough chrome for me. There is a new mesh screen behind it as well, but it doesn't show very well in the photo.

c0e650c9-172f-433e-a500-0d9b42320424-s.j

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

• 4 weeks later...

I need to post another major update to this truck. I'm not sure if I have mentioned it in this particular thread, but I have been chasing a vibration in this truck literally from the first test drive. It's not a huge vibration, but it gets the best of my A.D.D. and literally drives me crazy when it does vibrates. It is mainly between 45 and 50 MPH, so at highway speeds it isn't noticeable. I have spent, literally, thousands of dollars chasing it around the truck. The good news is, almost everything in the suspension is new now. ;-) The bad news, I didn't find the vibration. When I first drove the truck, I thought it was the front tires. After pulling them three different times (three different shops) and having them balanced and inspected, I finally gave up and decided it wasn't the tires. After fixing or inspecting absolutely everything else that it could be, I decided to gamble on the front tires. Friday, I replaced two Yokamaha steers that had about 80% tread with two new Bridgstone Ecopia tires. Wow, I cannot believe what a difference that made in this truck. 100% of the vibration is gone and the ride quality is substantially improved, more so than I would have ever thought.

After removing the tires from the wheels, the cause of the vibration was evident. There was a pretty bad spot on the inside of one of the tires, even though the tread was very good.

It's like driving a new truck now!

Zero,

Glad you finally closed in on your "vibration-by-runout" problem.

My life-long friend Chuck has been a vibration-geek all of his life and he has a reputation as the vibration-geek-of-last-resort.......

So you might ask........IF Chuck is such a Red-hotshot-vib-geek WHY does he not fix the vibration on the first visit to the offending "machine"??

The answer is.......When a "machine" is vibrating......the owner WANTS the machine "BALANCED" ......PERIOD!! Here is the problem, in over +40 years of vibration mitigation tasking, Chuck ranks imbalance as a distant THIRD place as the cause of common "VIBRATION" in machines......

Tied for first place is misalignment and loose mounting (soft-foot) second is worn rotating masses (your offending tire(s)) and of course you can have the very best balance, but, if other mechanical defects are in the dynamics-chain you simply can NOT correct the offending vibration by trying to re-balance a machine that is already balanced well......

Chuck used to go back time and time again and re-balance a machine as the customer DEMANDS but you know what.......IF you go back a few times and re-balance a machine that is already in balance you are wasting the customers time and money AND the unhappy customer will often bad-mouth you for not solving the problem.......a real loose / loose situation.

So what does Chuck do........well, before Chuck ever takes his vibration equipment out of the service rig he takes a tool box over to the offending machine and inspects the machine with a finely-trained-eye.......he looks for "machine-blood-stains", these are streaks of fretting-dust caused by two or more surfaces abrading against each other. When Chuck finds fretting this often leads him to the next point of investigation and that is ......ALIGNMENT or mis-ALIGNMENT, you see if the machine has a loose mounting and you just re-torque the loose mount you often risk simply compounding the problem by “securing-the-misaningment”. At this point Chuck will inform the customer that the REAL cause of his “vibration” is looseness / mis-alignment.......at this point Chuck contends he at a point where he finds out kind of customer he has on his hands.......IF the customer says “well your the expert so I'll TRUST you to do what you have to do to repair the vibration”........the second type of customer will say......” I hired you to BALANCE the machine and I want you to BALANCE the machine!!”

When Chuck encounters the Second-type-of-customer he steps back and says …..”you know I just do not have what it takes to “BALANCE” your machine but I can give you a few numbers of folks that would be very happy to come over and “BALANCE” your machine........"

Often after the “Type-2- customer” has spent many thousands $$$ on “Needless-Balance” and the vibration remains or gets worse.......then, Chuck often gets a call-back to repair the underlaying causes of the vibration.

Zero am I accusing you of being a “type-2-customer”.........no..... not really, because trucks are very problematic “machines” to chase vibrations on and very few dedicated vibration experts are willing to dedicate the time and effort required to “Zero-in” (no pun intended) on truck vibrations.

Throwing in $$$ and then more $$$$ is very common in the vibration game.....it is so maddening....

Drive on.........(shake, rattle and roll with.....care)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Do they work better than the deepspace lights

Here's my take:

1. The light output on the Deep Space lights is brighter.
  2. The light cutoff on the Deep Space kit is sharper (a good thing in my opinion).
  3. The shake on the LED lights is less than the Deep Space kit (but still some with the LED's).
  4. The light temperature (color) is very similar on both.
  5. The LED's are VERY expensive.

On my truck, and most others I have seen, the hood shakes quite a bit. That hood shake was causing the light output to shake more than I wanted. Keep in mind that I had the Deep Space kit installed in a set of halo housings, not the OEM housings. I suspect this is the reason the shake was overly pronounced.

The Deep Space kit is a much better value.

As stated previously, I'm OCD about random small issues. The light shake moved quickly to the top of my OCD list. That's the only reason I went with the LED's. It's possible I could chase the hood shake in other ways and prevent the shake by other means. I just chose to put my efforts into other parts of the truck.

"The LED's are VERY expensive"..... and in most cases will require a visit to your friendly Volvo dealer for a "computer" parameter change.

After all was said and done, the bill was close to $2000, including reprogramming.

• 3 weeks later...

In an unexpected turn of events, I have accepted a significant role within a outdoor retail company currently located in the Southeast. I never thought I would go back to work for a company I don't own, but these guys have a great philosophy, mindset, and work ethic. They are missing a few pieces which I can provide. To do the role justice, it's going to take 100% of my focus for the next few years.

It also means I won't have the freedom to work from the road as I have in recent years. It also means I won't have the flexibility to spend most of the evenings out in the shop making sparks.

All of that being said, I'm not sure I want to let my truck sit for 5 years (my current commitment to them) and not be used. It's also a huge distraction for me constantly thinking about ways to improve the truck. I'm considering accepting adoption applications to sell this truck. I don't have a price in mind yet, but if anyone on here is interested, please send me an email at brit.mansell@octanemedia.com.

There are still some things I want to do to the truck (finish the bed platform, storage boxes, bed sides, etc.), but I may wait until I find a buyer to finish that to make sure it's built exactly as they need it.

I am also considering selling the toy hauler.

hang on to it, a tinker here and there. over the next 5 years and it will be "done" sell the trailer thou. that will depreciate way faster than the truck will.

Sometimes the best laid plans...etc. - change.

That's addressing your new endeavors / employment.

IMO - wait a while before selling your truck to see if everything goes as you expect it to.

A year from now - the truck won't depreciate in value, and lots of "us" will still be drooling over a potential sale.

BTW - sure will miss your creative ideas and info!

Lots to consider- My opinions only

Park it- "Winterize" it so to speak. Keep a tag and ins on it for the vacation drive.

Sell it- you looked for a long time to find a truck that met your requirements. How hard will it be to find another one?

It's really hard to get the full value of the truck in the RV/Horse hauling market.

In 5 years, will technology and the look of HDT trucks change so much that it's worth starting over?

It's relatively easy to start and stop projects that you already own, it a pain in the ass to start over though.

Good luck in the new employment!

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Britt.... I believe I have the solution. :D We're not all that far from you guys so it can stay at our place. I'll take responsibility for "exercising" her on a frequent basis. Heck, we'll even drive to your place every couple of months so that you can run your hands over her fenders.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Britt.... I believe I have the solution. :D We're not all that far from you guys so it can stay at our place. I'll take responsibility for "exercising" her on a frequent basis. Heck, we'll even drive to your place every couple of months so that you can run your hands over her fenders.

Ha, I knew that was coming!

At this point, I want to downsize my time liabilities so I can focus.

When this opportunity matures and I can resume normal operations, I'll be in a different situation in many ways. Building another truck will be a welcome distraction and possibly something that I could devote solid time to instead of just the evenings. Hopefully that's illustrative enough to help understand my decision.

All of that being said, there is nothing forcing the sale of the truck. I'm not going to aggressively try to get rid of it. It will only go to a loving family who will raise him right and keep him on the straight and narrow.

All of that being said, there is nothing forcing the sale of the truck. I'm not going to aggressively try to get rid of it. It will only go to a loving family who will raise him right and keep him on the straight and narrow.

So, now you are putting conditions on the sale??? That makes it a might bit tougher on me.......... :blink:

VisitedStatesMap.gif

So, now you are putting conditions on the sale??? That makes it a might bit tougher on me.......... :blink:

Ha. I would love for it to go to someone already a part of the community or at least someone who wants to become part of the community.

If there was a way for me to buy it I would do it in a heart beat. I really like the looks of your truck. Unfortunately, I don't see that working out right now......... I am hoping to purchase something next spring and even then it will be a "low budget" situation.

Thanks, I appreciate that. If the situation changes, just let me know.

Good luck with the new plans and I completely understand not having time or needing to focus on new things. My Volvo sure doesn't get used enough, but I am hoping for that to change in the coming years. Until then, I just piddle with it when I have time and make up excuses to drive it. If you need to make sparks and are coming through Texas, you are more than welcome anytime!!!

Brit Hate to see you move on but keep us posted IRT how everything goes. I'll miss your super work. But have to take advantage of every opportunity when it comes along. So God Bless you and your family and I hope that this works for you. If you are ever on this coast around Va. Beach just give The Old Sailor A call. At some point in time can you tell us the Retailer? Again Good Luck Pat

The Old Sailor

Brit Hate to see you move on but keep us posted IRT how everything goes. I'll miss your super work. But have to take advantage of every opportunity when it comes along. So God Bless you and your family and I hope that this works for you. If you are ever on this coast around Va. Beach just give The Old Sailor A call. At some point in time can you tell us the Retailer? Again Good Luck Pat

The Old Sailor

Thanks. I appreciate that.

Archived