"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730 RV Hauler Build

bmzero

Made some great progress tonight.

e7b7b3b1-9e87-4c79-83db-778c54db695b-s.j

I think Rusty has bent a U-bolt or 2 before :D

No doubt about that.

Dang. Was over at Anderson Alignment in Hutch today. Thought I had hit the gold mine for you bm. He had a whole wall of U bolts and square bolts. Said they had bought out a NAPA store's supply that went out of business.

I appreciate you thinking of me for the u-bolts.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All loaded up. I'll hook up the 5er later this evening. I'm very happy with how the bed turned out. I still need to put some time into the design of my ramp system, so instead of loading the Smart, I just loaded a RZR. It can handle a much steeper transition onto the bed. The Smart will ride in the toy hauler this trip.

35b8c689-da68-4260-9404-be4b6eb4b978-s.j

Looks like you were burning some midnight oil!!! :) Looks great.....what width will the deck be?

Midnight seems to be the only type of oil I can burn lately. I need a pause button for life so I can catch up.

The deck will be 101", including 1/8" panels for the side walls. That will give me 1/2" for marker lights on either side. As it sits, it's 100-3/4".

All loaded up. I'll hook up the 5er later this evening. I'm very happy with how the bed turned out. I still need to put some time into the design of my ramp system, so instead of loading the Smart, I just loaded a RZR. It can handle a much steeper transition onto the bed. The Smart will ride in the toy hauler this trip.

35b8c689-da68-4260-9404-be4b6eb4b978-s.j

Midnight seems to be the only type of oil I can burn lately. I need a pause button for life so I can catch up.

The deck will be 101", including 1/8" panels for the side walls. That will give me 1/2" for marker lights on either side. As it sits, it's 101-3/4".

Zero.........oh to be young again....... and not need to rest...........

Ya gotta pitty a wannabe-tool-thief that wants to try to steal tools from your shop.........he sneaks over to your shop and low-be-behold your roll out from under your truck and say....."hey, buddy, hand me that vice-grip and then throw a wrench on the 7/8 capscrew next to the back tank mount"....... you sure don't need a shop alarm system your always working..........

Drive on.............(Stay young.........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Looks great! Looking forward to more pics......

Enjoy the journey to the rally and drive scarefully!

is that a Halloween joke, or a Freudian slip?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

We made it to Hutch.

Here are a few photos I snapped along the way.

e8d45131-a3f7-4553-bb84-114e9ecc5515-s.j
d88149b9-7fe7-4032-8021-b8259d2d3d05-s.j
5a27b0fc-5b04-4562-b002-b6db51f7378f-s.j
Funny story. I stopped at a Love's in Ft. Smith. While I was waiting in line to fuel, another driver walked up to the door. He asked if I was in North Alabama earlier that morning, to which I said, "yes". Then, he said he had heard about this truck from another driver in his company, Ashley Furniture, who had sent photos out.
It seems like Willy Mammoth is building quite a reputation. I just hope it's a good one. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I missed you in Corona. This work week is too busy for me to get away and drive to Vegas to check out the bed.

I have stayed at Sam's Town many times. As I recall it was just bought by KOA. If you have puppies, there is a huge dog park about a mile form the Sam's Town.

Jim

Yes, it is a KOA campground now. I left Ratchet (the Boxer) at home this trip. I'm not sure he would have liked the sand dunes. I'll be back out in California (Yucca Valley, Palms area) around the end of January for the King of the Hammers race. Maybe we can meet up then.

What is the overall length of WIlly Mammoth when connected to the trailer?

I'm not sure yet. I haven't pulled a tape on it. I'm a little scared to do so. :D

I just realized I have not updated this thread with any of the bed photos. Here's the current state of the bed.

1566bca0-6c31-4504-bbc5-483e3adad279-s.j
I will be building the rest of the platform and side storage boxes and side skirts soon, but this was enough to make the truck functional.
f7d17e97-095c-4f0d-9512-0d3cd31fcfd6-s.j
91c4af3c-b273-4650-87cc-3ddb8ff94387-s.j
Everything is recessed so that cargo can be slid onto the bed without snagging anything. I plan on using this truck quite a bit for things other than pulling a 5th wheel trailer.
c39e9af5-ad05-4160-99d2-ed1a148d6e35-s.j
Here is a mockup of what it will look like when completed.

Watching.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Hi bmzero - what is the approximate weight of your modular bed system - per foot or per section ?

The weight of all of the pieces shown below is just over 1500 lbs. The platform configuration above is right at 11.5' long. The math there comes out to 130 lbs per linear foot. However, it isn't that straight forward since each section requires two floor joists, but that may be close enough to answer your question.

9de0c368-f7f2-45a9-9a6a-c2966ad614e4-s.j

Let me know if you need anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

I get asked quite a bit what this setup weighs. One Polaris RZR S 1000 on the bed, a RZR XP 1000 (Motus V4 swap), and a supercharged Motus MST-R in the garage.

Here's the load:

8a011735-a5bb-48ca-b628-18e6b0fab9ab-s.j
Here's the weigh ticket:

Just weighed ours yesterday. Don't have the paper in front of me, but the steer/drivers was just over 25k, and the trailer axles combined are about 14k, for a total of just under 30k.

This is a 770 V. tandem, with near empty fuel, and a Newmar X-Aire with nothing on board. Smart, two BMW street bikes, the KLR and Momma's Super Sherpa should fit nicely. ;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Just weighed ours yesterday. Don't have the paper in front of me, but the steer/drivers was just over 25k, and the trailer axles combined are about 14k, for a total of just under 30k.

This is a 770 V. tandem, with near empty fuel, and a Newmar X-Aire with nothing on board. Smart, two BMW street bikes, the KLR and Momma's Super Sherpa should fit nicely. ;)

Rick, you're making that sound fantastically light - and it is. You are just under 40K. (it's that simple math that kills us anymore ;) )

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Archived