"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730 RV Hauler Build

bmzero

If you have some L-track left from the seat belt job it makes really good tie downs for the SC in a Toy Hauler. I used these over top of the tires to hold down the SC and these hooks.

I agree, Rick. L-Track or E-Track is the way to go. I already have a few rows of E-Track in the floor of the trailer, but I don't really want to move it around just for the Smart since it won't live back there much longer. Personally, I'm a big fan of tire baskets. I have had single straps slip off too many times. They're hard to see in the photo below, but I like to run long strips of e-track right under the tires as to have some flexibility with placement.

15400483338_eaee2a48e8_b.jpg

Once the Smart gets put on the bed, it will probably sit on top of e-track strips as well. Since the bed of the truck will probably be used for hauling vehicles other than the Smart sometimes, the flexibility of the e-track is important.

I like the e-track over the l-track simply for the reason of having more fastener connections.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be using a bunch of products from Mac's for securing the Smart (and other vehicles) to the bed. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but I really like their products. Plus, they are American made.

Tire baskets - http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/category/WheelNets

I also really like their setup to keep the tire baskets inside of the wheel well. This makes it much easier to ratchet the straps.

Custom_Wheel_Net_Banner.jpg

I agree, Rick. L-Track or E-Track is the way to go. I already have a few rows of E-Track in the floor of the trailer, but I don't really want to move it around just for the Smart since it won't live back there much longer. Personally, I'm a big fan of tire baskets. I have had single straps slip off too many times. They're hard to see in the photo below, but I like to run long strips of e-track right under the tires as to have some flexibility with placement.

15400483338_eaee2a48e8_b.jpg

Once the Smart gets put on the bed, it will probably sit on top of e-track strips as well. Since the bed of the truck will probably be used for hauling vehicles other than the Smart sometimes, the flexibility of the e-track is important.

I like the e-track over the l-track simply for the reason of having more fastener connections.

Man,you have the ultimate set up!!

How much room does the Smart take up in the toy hauler, and how long can you transport it around before it becomes an issue to the rig ( if it ever does become an issue).. I was told by a dealer ( I know, I know), that after extended periods of time, the smart will actually weaken the structure and integrity of the flooring in the garage.. I was kinda questioning his information, but I couldn't prove anything, so I said nothing...

The Few

How much room does the Smart take up in the toy hauler, and how long can you transport it around before it becomes an issue to the rig ( if it ever does become an issue).. I was told by a dealer ( I know, I know), that after extended periods of time, the smart will actually weaken the structure and integrity of the flooring in the garage.. I was kinda questioning his information, but I couldn't prove anything, so I said nothing...

Few, If that is the case I would run from whatever the product that dealer was selling. :)

I used those over the wheel tie downs with L-track last season and put on about 9000 miles with the SC in the back and it never moved an inch. WOW! those are some lights on the back of the TH!

According to Keystone, the garage capacity of my model is 4690#. The ramp door, however, is probably the limiting factor in this case. I have heard the ramp can only support around 2000#, but I haven't seen that listed anywhere. With me in the Smart, that's right at that 2000# limit. I had my wife watch while loading and she said everything looked "fine".

As far as what the dealer was saying, in a black and white world, he may be right, but that's true for anything you put in the garage. The garage was made for carrying things. I use it for its intended purpose.

WOW! those are some lights on the back of the TH!

Rick, that's actually my "Race Attack Van" (http://www.followmybuild.com/bmzero/UTV-Racing-Attack-Van). I built it, specifically, to haul a single RZR to events. It was great until I needed to take more than one person with me, or actually be comfortable overnight.

Those lights are amazing. They're 50W LED flood lights. They run off of 12V or 24V DC, meaning you don't have to fire up the genny to get light when unplugged, which is almost every race we go to. The lights are pretty expensive, relatively, but worth every penny. I have two more that are about to go on the back of the toy hauler.

Here's a similar light to mine. There weren't any US sellers that had a product like this when I was shopping. I had to order them directly from China.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12v-24v-LED-FLOODLIGHTS-50W-WORK-FISHING-BOATS-NIGHT-LIGHTS-SECURITY-WHITE-UK-/281154795347

I was looking at the lights on the TH and thought they were the same as the ones on the van.

Unfortunately, no. The ones on the toy hauler are no better than a couple of Bic lighters.

According to Keystone, the garage capacity of my model is 4690#. The ramp door, however, is probably the limiting factor in this case. I have heard the ramp can only support around 2000#, but I haven't seen that listed anywhere. With me in the Smart, that's right at that 2000# limit. I had my wife watch while loading and she said everything looked "fine".

As far as what the dealer was saying, in a black and white world, he may be right, but that's true for anything you put in the garage. The garage was made for carrying things. I use it for its intended purpose.

Thank you for confirming with me with that bit of information, that is exactly what I hoped to hear...

The source of my information came from Dandy RV Superstore in Anniston Alabama..

We fortunately came across this location While traveling cross country to visit family last August 2014, My family and I were in quest for the ultimate RV 5th wheel..

We just wanted to get a feel of what we actually wanted "in living color" instead of dreaming of them through books or social media..

The Few

Thank you for confirming with me with that bit of information, that is exactly what I hoped to hear...

The source of my information came from Dandy RV Superstore in Anniston Alabama..

We fortunately came across this location While traveling cross country to visit family last August 2014, My family and I were in quest for the ultimate RV 5th wheel..

We just wanted to get a feel of what we actually wanted "in living color" instead of dreaming of them through books or social media..

Ironically, my wife's family, and her, are very good friends with the owner of that business. The owner started out selling one trailer at a time in front of his house. It's a pretty good American dream story. Unfortunately, the experiences I have had in there with their salesmen are similar to yours. I don't buy anything from there, even though it's one of the closest large RV businesses to my home.

Action-Shots-3_w.jpg

Volvo 730 HDT RV Hauler - Action Shots Photo

We had another successful trip in the HDT over the weekend - a short little trip down to the Gulf. I'm really starting to get in the groove with this truck. I have put over 4000 miles on it since picking it up just a handful of months ago. There are still some big improvements to make, but I feel I have a good understanding of what's needed.

Top potential drive-ability fixes:

• Front sway bar - I know these trucks weren't designed for a sway bar, but I'm considering adding one. I have been in talks with a company that builds 40-spline sway bars for off road racing trucks (Trophy Trucks), and I think I can make some big handling improvements with one.
  • Transmission reprogramming - currently, my I-Shift is programmed to Comprehensive mode. It's driving me nuts. I need to get the premium shifter and change the programming (Economy mode, Eco Roll, etc.)
  • Rear bump stops (http://www.polyperformance.com/Images/98892_main-2.jpg). These will help the suspension be a little more progressive instead of bouncing all over the road
  • Possible change to remote reservoir, adjustable shocks on all four corners (https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8780/16888218664_7e1d5c6553_o.jpg)

Just some thoughts.

bmzero,

The truck is looking great. It has that sinister look with the blacked out wheels with the spikes. I will later send you an e-mail about some rzr questions if that is ok.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

bmzero,

The truck is looking great. It has that sinister look with the blacked out wheels with the spikes. I will later send you an e-mail about some rzr questions if that is ok.

Al

Thanks, Al. Bring on the RZR questions!

Bmzero,

That is a REDICULOUSLY BEAUTIFUL set up!!!

You think outside the box, and totally give the HDT RV hauler a diffrent perspective of what else semi trucks are capable of..

I also think outside the box, and I plan to build something that is suitable for me and my wife..

I do LOVE the Idea of a sway bar, because I have SERIOUS vertigo!! And that is all I need is to feel out of control in an place that has TALL, TALL bridge crossings, just like the one Pheonix and his wife crossed years before..

Nothing wrong with spending a little money to improve something to fit your needs...

Can't wait to see your "smart car" deck when it is complete!!

Just like a Marine, we always come up with something, from nothing, and do everything with it!!!

OOHHH RAHHHH

The Few

Bmzero,

That is a REDICULOUSLY BEAUTIFUL set up!!!

You think outside the box, and totally give the HDT RV hauler a diffrent perspective of what else semi trucks are capable of..

Can't wait to see your "smart car" deck when it is complete!!

Just like a Marine, we always come up with something, from nothing, and do everything with it!!!

OOHHH RAHHHH

I appreciate that.

The bed is kicking my tail. I am trying to avoid ramps and come up with something that isn't over complicated, but so far, all of my ideas haven't even made it to the CAD phase; they all die a fiery death in the imagination phase. As soon as I come up with something worthwhile, I'll post up some CAD screenshots.

I like the simplicity of the ramps, but I don't like having to store them. I may just have to get over that.

I appreciate that.

The bed is kicking my tail. I am trying to avoid ramps and come up with something that isn't over complicated, but so far, all of my ideas haven't even made it to the CAD phase; they all die a fiery death in the imagination phase. As soon as I come up with something worthwhile, I'll post up some CAD screenshots.

I like the simplicity of the ramps, but I don't like having to store them. I may just have to get over that.

WELL, since we like to think outside the box, how about getting REALLy creative?

Check out the (MAXILIFT M230 crane). I recomment this model due to your operating weight requirements..

I was also pondering the same Idea.. Your smart car deck could be the platform.. Load the smart car on the platform and secure it.. Then "4 point" hoist the platform on the rear deck position to the rear of your semi. Secure the platform using HUGE bolts and locking pins.

Costs less than a hydraulic bed and also can be used for more than only one purpose.. PLUS a one man operation, and most of all it would looks pretty neat!!!

Hide it right behind the cab between the side fairings.. This model is a bit too industrial looking for me, I would like something a bit more inconspicuous.. (Low profile or lay down type)

Here is the website if interested.

Heavyhaulertrailer.com

Just thinking outside the box again...LOL

The Few

WELL, since we like to think outside the box, how about getting REALLy creative?

Check out the (MAXILIFT M230 crane). I recomment this model due to your operating weight requirements..

I was also pondering the same Idea.. Your smart car deck could be the platform.. Load the smart car on the platform and secure it.. Then "4 point" hoist the platform on the rear deck position to the rear of your semi. Secure the platform using HUGE bolts and locking pins.

Costs less than a hydraulic bed and also can be used for more than only one purpose.. PLUS a one man operation, and most of all it would looks pretty neat!!!

Hide it right behind the cab between the side fairings.. This model is a bit too industrial looking for me, I would like something a bit more inconspicuous.. (Low profile or lay down type)

Here is the website if interested.

Heavyhaulertrailer.com

Just thinking outside the box again...LOL

The hoist/crane idea has crossed my mind quite a few times, but it requires a bit too many moving parts for me. I agree that it would be useful for a lot of other needs, though. I haven't ruled it out yet. The crane you mentioned is almost $10k. Ouch.

Great looking setup!! How did the new air hitch work out for you?

I'm still on the temporary hitch for now. I had to order some more bushings that didn't get here until Friday. I'm hoping to start putting it together this week, maybe even this evening.

• 3 months later...

Since the air ride hitch is finished, it's time to move on to the bed. Before starting the bed, I needed to take care of some surface rust issues that were revealed when removing the OEM hitch.

I used more Magic Truck/Tractor paint. This is a truck and a tractor, so that paint should be perfect! :P

c46aa424-223a-4404-8b4a-80d95acaf6b2-s.j

Action-Shots-3_w.jpg

Volvo 730 HDT RV Hauler - Action Shots Photo

We had another successful trip in the HDT over the weekend - a short little trip down to the Gulf. I'm really starting to get in the groove with this truck. I have put over 4000 miles on it since picking it up just a handful of months ago. There are still some big improvements to make, but I feel I have a good understanding of what's needed.

Top potential drive-ability fixes:

• Front sway bar - I know these trucks weren't designed for a sway bar, but I'm considering adding one. I have been in talks with a company that builds 40-spline sway bars for off road racing trucks (Trophy Trucks), and I think I can make some big handling improvements with one.
  • Transmission reprogramming - currently, my I-Shift is programmed to Comprehensive mode. It's driving me nuts. I need to get the premium shifter and change the programming (Economy mode, Eco Roll, etc.)
  • Rear bump stops (http://www.polyperformance.com/Images/98892_main-2.jpg). These will help the suspension be a little more progressive instead of bouncing all over the road
  • Possible change to remote reservoir, adjustable shocks on all four corners (https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8780/16888218664_7e1d5c6553_o.jpg)

Just some thoughts.

bmzero,

the link for the action shots is throwing the following errors: (if i shorten the URL down , i can look at your photos.)

Server Error in '/' Application. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

I'm getting the errors from the "action shots" link as well.

Thanks, guys. We are constantly improving the functionality of the site and that old link was collateral damage. I changed the link in that post to point to the new "Gallery" phase that all builds get for the default phase.

http://www.followmybuild.com/bmzero/Volvo-730-HDT-RV-Hauler/Photo-Gallery

Archived