"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730 RV Hauler Build

bmzero

Ah, I see what you did there. "Genius", Smart. Nice. B)

In all honesty, that play on words was as accidental as the story you told about how Willy Mammoth got his name...but maybe that will make a good name...the V4Genius...once it runs...! Personally, I can hardly wait to see it up and running! I rode motorcycles for 42 years, and sold the last one shortly after I got my 2009 smart...but it sure would be fun to have a little hotrod!

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My good friend (a long haul driver) was out driving some where and guess what he ran across.

Called and told me about a big truck with this little baby 5th well hitch. I said send me a photo.

Well you can tell who he ran across !!!!

Nice hitch pal.

JC

Well I'll try to get a pic uploaded

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

My good friend (a long haul driver) was out driving some where and guess what he ran across.

Called and told me about a big truck with this little baby 5th well hitch. I said send me a photo.

Well you can tell who he ran across !!!!

Nice hitch pal.

JC

Well I'll try to get a pic uploaded

Small world. Was that yeaterday?

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Small world. Was that yeaterday?

Yep, he was going to Chicago. Your in Indiana I think??? Picking up your trailer.

2015 Continental Coach

Wow, what a trip. about 9 hours there and a little longer coming back since I was taking it pretty easy.

The interstates in IN were ridiculously bumpy. That was a true trial by fire test for the hitch, but honestly, it was a very tense trip for me. I trust the design and fabrication of the new hitch, but the amount of liability and danger to everyone else on the road was very humbling. I probably checked the hitch about 20 times on the way back. I don't see how companies like B&W sleep at night, with as many units as they have on the road.

Got any pics of the new rig? How was the trip home? or are you home yet?

Safe travels!

115606b2-1834-4e50-9ee1-16497dd0eb9c-s.j
a78c12fe-665d-4d4d-9499-3c47bab8c974-s.j
The trailer turned out to be a smoking deal. The Camping World where I bought it was Tom Raper until last March, so they already had an amazing operation before Camping World came into the picture. I had an amazing experience there. It would be hard for me not to buy my next RV from them, even though they are that far away. Everyone there was as professional and friendly as I could imagine. Most of the people I was working with had been there for literally over 25 years.

Yep, he was going to Chicago. Your in Indiana I think??? Picking up your trailer.

Yes, guilty as charged. Glad to be home, though.

It because they Carry huge amounts of product liability insurance. They sleep just fine. I'm sure yours is way safe too.

Being in the metal fab business I could see a lot of "over kill" worked into your design. Not that that's a bad thing, just an observation.

Nice build and look forward to meeting you down the road some day !!

JC

2015 Continental Coach

Hopefully actuaries and underwriters, but more possible it's a hope and holding up your wetted finger for a good breeze and plain sailing.

I have a very moderate faith in competent risk management at any RV or RV component manufacturer. Present company excepted.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Okay how do like the Turbo XP?

The old bronco just won't keep up with my wife's Rhino I have been thinking about a RZR. But of course keep the bronco

It is, by far, the strongest/fastest and best performing SXS I have ever driven. The new Fox shocks are amazing, and the front sway bar is very effective. It's substantially better, in every performance category, than the XP 1000.

I'm working on the bed some today. I'm really trying to make this entire bed bolt together. That way, I can prime/paint each piece individually as well as upgrade/repair/replace any of the components without breaking out the plasma cutter. It's going to be a ton of extra work to make it happen, but I think it'll be worth it.

3de07bca-e433-4590-aeba-ffc699aa00fe-s.j

Passages for ramps.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm rushing to get some of the bed done before the rally. I would really like to have the bed surface done. I do want to hold off on the storage compartments until I have a little hands-on time with the bed surface, though.

I'm building it so that it all bolts together so I can paint or Line-X each piece individually and replace or upgrade components along the way.

The side skirts are definitely not final. They're just there as a starter.

f7750c53-c3f6-4f87-bebd-53042e01219e-s.j
333a805c-9523-48d6-8f46-f1b908ad5bae-s.j
VersaTie track is slightly below the bed surface. By the time the surface plates get Line-X on them, they will be about .125 below the surface.
e7b9eb6e-3ae2-48b4-b7c8-37f5605bb509-s.j
Still a lot to do on the rear (angles, step, receiver hitches, etc.).

Hi bmzero - nice design - you have prolly thought to provide drainage to daylight in your tie-down track recesses . Ice or frozen mud is a royal pain :lol:

Wow, I did not think of that, but I'll definitely add that to the design. I really appreciate the suggestion.

Bmzero, please be sure that the fore to aft piece between stringers that goes between your duals does not keep you from being able to remove your inner drive tires/wheels without removing part of your bed. I'm sure you have already thought about that but your designs give me opportunity to think and it would make me feel really good if my trying to think actually worked. :wacko: Keep at it. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

might want to consider a bolt on center sections so you can get to the inside of the frame rails from above instead of having to climb under the truck.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

Are the macs tracks right were the smarts tires are going to ride and if so how will you compensate for the different track widths on the smart?

Wheel chock locations?

Ramp tie downs for side load?

Are you planning on using a which to load smart? If so the don't forget to incorporate that into the design.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Hey bmzero. I know you are involved in the bed design but did you get your seat belts in the cab yet? I am interested in your install.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Bmzero, please be sure that the fore to aft piece between stringers that goes between your duals does not keep you from being able to remove your inner drive tires/wheels without removing part of your bed. I'm sure you have already thought about that but your designs give me opportunity to think and it would make me feel really good if my trying to think actually worked. :wacko: Keep at it. Charlie

Thanks, Charlie. The piece that goes between the tires is arched. At ride height, the arch is above the top of the tires, for easy tire removal. The other key here is that it's all bolt together. The supports (that span the main floor joists) will be held in with four 1/4-20 bolts, each.

might want to consider a bolt on center sections so you can get to the inside of the frame rails from above instead of having to climb under the truck.

Lou, all of the bed surface plates are bolt on. Removing a plate should make for very easy access to anything under the floor. It will also allow me to use aluminum tread plate. I have not decided between steel and aluminum tread plate yet. At this point, I'm leaning toward steel flat plate covered in Line-X to keep with the black theme of the truck. I don't think ATP would fit the look very well.

Are the macs tracks right were the smarts tires are going to ride and if so how will you compensate for the different track widths on the smart?

Wheel chock locations?

Ramp tie downs for side load?

Are you planning on using a which to load smart? If so the don't forget to incorporate that into the design.

Dave

Dave, yes, the tracks ride directly under the tires of the Smart. The separation between the two main rails is 54.5" apart, to line up with the rear tires of the 2015 (and previous) Smart ForTwo. I have been unable to find the exact center of the tires width on the 2016, but I suspect that it will still be fine since I'm using tire baskets.

Another cool aspect of the VersaTie system is the ability to use the threaded studs to build mount systems, basically allowing me to build any type of rack I need to haul anything back there.

With the tire baskets, I should not need wheel chocks.

I'm still working through the ramp design, but at this point, I'm leaning toward having them attach to the bed with the side storage doors open. That way I can conceal the ramp connection pieces, making for a cleaner look.

No winch, long, gradual, arched ramps.

If you intend to drive up - even with 16' ramps - you are going to want a chock in the front. You may want the chock(s) anyway....since it provides a redundant system for tie-down.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Hey bmzero. I know you are involved in the bed design but did you get your seat belts in the cab yet? I am interested in your install.

I sure did. All photos are in the "Rear Seating" phase of my build page - http://www.followmybuild.com/bmzero/Volvo-730-HDT-RV-Hauler/rearseating/

C4A7763D-CEB9-4E8A-8B39-39FD6CBE3C1E-s.j

Archived