Water filter questions

I’m always thinking of ways to improve or make things last longer. I currently use a 5 micron carbon house filter.
Just wondering about 2 things - 
Does anyone notice the difference between carbon and non carbon filters?
I know that a 1 micron filter filters better as it captures smaller particles, but do you sacrifice any noticeable volume or water pressure? How much shorter is the life of a 1 micron filter compared to a 5 micron filter?

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

We use 5 micron carbon filters . There's a definite difference with or without . 

Ours seem to last about 3 months , give or take , before we notice a difference in volume / pressure . 

That reminds me that a filter change is due . Thanks , for that . :)

Goes around , comes around .

We have 3 filters in line, a 5 mic sediment, 3mic carbon and a 1 mic carbon.  Depending on where we stay determines when they're changed.  Parks that are on their own wells usually have more sediment and usually over chlorinated.  This causes the carbon filters to fail first.  It also depends on the hardness of the municipal water.  

I look at them weekly, as they're inside the basement and have clear housings.  If we notice a chlorine taste then I change them immediately.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Carbon block filters have a definitive flow rate, exceed that maximum flow rate  by increasing water pressure, and the carbon "channels or break-through"; that is, water pressure creates a clear path for water flow instead of around carbon particles.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

7 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

We have 3 filters in line, a 5 mic sediment, 3mic carbon and a 1 mic carbon.  Depending on where we stay determines when they're changed.  Parks that are on their own wells usually have more sediment and usually over chlorinated.  This causes the carbon filters to fail first.  It also depends on the hardness of the municipal water.  

I look at them weekly, as they're inside the basement and have clear housings.  If we notice a chlorine taste then I change them immediately.

I like the idea of a clear housing. 

16 hours ago, rynosback said:

How much shorter is the life of a 1 micron filter compared to a 5 micron filter?

The manufacturer who makes the pleated 5 micron sediment filters I use does not recommended cleaning filters that are less than 5 microns. So I’ve stuck with 5 micron filters which I can clean over and over again.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

7 hours ago, rynosback said:

I like the idea of a clear housing. 

Ditto. However, the manufacturer of my two, clear Big Blue housings claims they won’t last as long as opaque ones. Nevertheless, I got over 7 years out of them before I replaced them — with another set of clear housings.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

I too prefer the clear ones as you can easily watch the condition of them. A filter of 1 micron will plug up more quickly than a 5 micron because it removes more. I used the 5 micron as they seem to be a good middle ground. The 10 micron filters last longer but that is because they let so much more through them. 

As to carbon over other filters, carbon has the ability to remove most tastes and an assortment of other things that most filters do not. The highest quality of filters actually use a combination of carbon and several other expensive elements. A carbon block filter also removes things that will pass through a filter of granulated carbon. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Hi,

I use a 2 stage whole RV system.  The RV Water Filter Store Essential system which is a sediment filter and .05 micron CFB-PB10 filter.

Then a Berkey for drinking water!

The 2 stage gets good quality but still has a "taste" that falls short of sweet bottled water. The Berkey takes it the rest of the way.

My water regulator aft of the filters shows 50 (is it psi or gpm?) so no issue with water pressure.

I got the jumbo "south of the border" filter setup from the rvfilterstore. If park is secent water we just use two filters. According to the fikter store, I can safely drink water from a pond with this setup.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Aztex,

Me too!  I'm still in my sticks and bricks home and I rely on my well water.  My several year old Travel Berkey filter continues to serve me well, without as yet, a need for a filter change.  I only use it for drinking and cooking water.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

3 hours ago, aztex said:

My water regulator aft of the filters shows 50 (is it psi or gpm?) so no issue with water pressure.

If it has a reading with no water running it must be psi(pounds per square inch) as gpm (gallons per minute) would go to 0 unless water was either being used or leaking somewhere. 

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

If it has a reading with no water running it must be psi(pounds per square inch) as gpm (gallons per minute) would go to 0 unless water was either being used or leaking somewhere. 

Of course!

Note to self: finish coffee before interneting...

:D

12 hours ago, Zulu said:

Ditto. However, the manufacturer of my two, clear Big Blue housings claims they won’t last as long as opaque ones. Nevertheless, I got over 7 years out of them before I replaced them — with another set of clear housings.

I read that also when I looked into the clear ones. Not sure why. Makes no sense to me.

On 8/22/2020 at 6:50 PM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Different types of plastic act differently in the sun. Having the clear plastic filters in the basement should help them last longer. That's another one of those "I don't know why I know that" things so don't ask me for details, please. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 8/23/2020 at 10:11 PM, sandsys said:

Different types of plastic act differently in the sun. Having the clear plastic filters in the basement should help them last longer. That's another one of those "I don't know why I know that" things so don't ask me for details, please. :)

Linda

1 hour ago, lockmup68 said:

clear housings also promote algae since sunlight gets in. Don't know where I know that from either,. 

Our filters are built in in our basement.  If they were outside, then I would agree with the solid color housings.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I had mentioned this on another thread, but IMO it is poor practice to use any filter that removes chlorine.  Without chlorine, tanks and plumbing lines and the HW system will develop bacterial growth.  Often that is merely harmless pseudomonas.  Studies have also shown that Legionella often contaminates RV water systems.  Fortunately Legionella infections are infrequent but they can be very serious and even fatal.  

There is no reason I can see for removing chlorine from your water system.  Instead just filter your drinking water, either with a faucet mounted filter or using a Brita or similar brand water container with a filter.  In areas where the water is not chlorinated to begin with I sanitize my system frequently or periodically add a small amount of chlorine to the tank.

Bacterial can readily grow whenever chlorine is not present.  When I did research in grad school, I used a 10 gallon jug of highly purified, reagent grade water.  The sides of the jug started to turn pink due to pseudomonas bacteria and I had to bleach out the container every few weeks.  If you filter out the chlorine and have an RV water tank with an large opening, I suggest you feel the inside of the tank with your fingers.  It will be slimy with bacteria.

Edited by JimK

21 hours ago, JimK said:

I had mentioned this on another thread, but IMO it is poor practice to use any filter that removes chlorine. 

And that is why these are opinions! For me there are many good reasons for filters and I suspect that if we took a vote, using filters would win but if we want to determine what filter is best for an RV, then the real argument begins!

In 49 years owning RV's I've used them at time and times not. I prefer two in series, the first more sediment type and the second charcoal based. Based on my experience, for the record, I advise using some sort of filter. Still to this day we NEVER drink water from the fresh water holding tank, but that's just me, to each their own 

Best wishes n God Bless

John T

23 hours ago, JimK said:

Bacterial can readily grow whenever chlorine is not present.  When I did research in grad school, I used a 10 gallon jug of highly purified, reagent grade water.  The sides of the jug started to turn pink due to pseudomonas bacteria and I had to bleach out the container every few weeks.  If you filter out the chlorine and have an RV water tank with an large opening, I suggest you feel the inside of the tank with your fingers.  It will be slimy with bacteria.

That slime is biofilm which will probably be present regardless of the how much chlorine is present. In fact chlorine disinfection may "select out" less harmful bacteria in favor of deadlier pathogens (see Reduced Chlorine in Drinking Water Systems).

For tank sanitation, I've switched to Purgene instead of bleach. 

23 hours ago, JimK said:

I had to bleach out the container every few weeks.

Yes, I use sediment, carbon block, softener, and UV filters on my water before it enters my tank.

However, when on the road, I don't think I ever let water in my tank sit for more than a few days. 

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Zulu, I use Sodium Dichlor, it's the same chemical as Purgene, just cheaper to purchase.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961