Water filter questions

Few year ago I would filter the water from the house when filling the trailer with 10µ. After 300-400gal the pressure differential on the 10µ filters would rise to 30-40PSI.

Next I tried 5µ and blew through those right away. After 150-200gal the pressure differential was 50-60psi.

Lately I'm using 4 filters in series 10µ - 5µ - 1µ and a .5µ carbon then add Sodium Dichlor and use test strip to ensure the proper concentration. 

For drinking water we use a Berkey. Filtering the trailer water to .5µ means the Berkey last 6-8 time longer (before back washing) in the trailer than in the house.  

2011 Cameo 34SB3

3 hours ago, Zulu said:

However, when on the road, I don't think I ever let water in my tank sit for more than a few days. 

If you put chlorinated water into the tank, the chlorine will slow dissipate.  That is the main reason it helps to keep using and replenishing the water.  If you remove all of the chlorine, then it makes no difference how long you let that water sit in the tank.  More non-chlorinated water coming into the tank will do nothing to stop or decrease the bacterial growth.

31 minutes ago, JimK said:

If you put chlorinated water into the tank, the chlorine will slow dissipate.  That is the main reason it helps to keep using and replenishing the water.  If you remove all of the chlorine, then it makes no difference how long you let that water sit in the tank.  More non-chlorinated water coming into the tank will do nothing to stop or decrease the bacterial growth.

Ok, did you read my link?

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

6 hours ago, Zulu said:

Purogene is sodium chlorite @ 3.35%, 95.65% water. Sodium chlorite is just another type of chlorine. OK not exactly the  same type of chlorine, as it is also used in health products.

Sodium Dichlor is available with 55%-99% stabilized chlorine, in  granular form.

We'll  each do as we wish, isn't America great!

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 8/28/2020 at 12:57 PM, Zulu said:

That slime is biofilm which will probably be present regardless of the how much chlorine is present. In fact chlorine disinfection may "select out" less harmful bacteria in favor of deadlier pathogens (see Reduced Chlorine in Drinking Water Systems).

For tank sanitation, I've switched to Purgene instead of bleach.

After reading the link you provided and poking around the web about Sodium Clorite and Chlorine Dioxide,  My impression is that Purgene (or maybe West Marine's equivalent) makes sense for an annual, or semi-annual water system disinfection.  It's more expensive than Clorox Bleach but appears to be a superior agent.  For me, it would be a trivial cost for twice a year.  Thanks for the information you provided.

I'm not convinced that it makes sense for me, to continuously use Sodium Clorite more frequently than semi-annually.  Are you using it continuously, and if so why?  

Also, I was unable to find anything about shelf life.  I've asked RV Water Filter Store, but have not received a response yet.  Do you know what it is?

Thanks.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

Purogene stores for years.  I had a smaller bottle and a gallon jug of it that I used to refill the smaller bottle for many years and it was still doing the job when I finally ran out.  I think it was at least 8 years old.  Now they only sell the bottles.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I chose to buy a 32 oz bottle from BayTec Containers (https://www.bayteccontainers.com/) at a cost of $38.95, with free shipping.  The RV Water Filter Store (who I have purchased from before and been satisfied with) was selling the same product at $39.95, plus $19.95 shipping.  All of the suppliers I could find, sold 32 oz of Purogene at just under $40. The differentiating factor, for me, was shipping cost.

I chose to reject West Marine's generic version of Purogene (Chlorine Dioxide - CiO2) because the only specs I was able to find were fuzzy: "has less than 5% CiO2".

Bill - thanks for your information.  FYI, BayTec still sells the gallon bottles and now seems to also sell through Amazon.

And of course,  I gain nothing from Purogene, or generics sales.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car