mobile rv repair with Covid 19 question

Wrknrvr

If you need a mobile rv repair done, will you allow a technician to work on your unit?

Will you find a mobile rv repair technician that is willing to work on your unit?

I have suspended all my work until there is universal testing.

Vern

There's a reason vehicle repair businesses have (mostly) made the list of essential services. For those unable, physically or otherwise, to have repairs made. Being declared "Essential" doesn't mean you have to work, only that you're able to. I do our maintenance, and have helped out with others'. In this day and age, outside work is still ok, but inside is another story. I'd be hesitant to either enter, or have another body enter the rig. 6' spread isn't easy inside most RV's, never mind the surface contamination. 

I don't see universal testing as the answer, as you can be tested clean today, get fuel on the way home, and be infected by the time you go to bed. Instead, a lot more hand cleansing needs to be done, coupled with some basic PPE.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

These issues are much the same even with routine auto repairs these days.  My daughter manages a Firestone store (which is considered essential in Maryland) and they now provide customers with a list of services that can be performed without a technician entering their car.  If a customer elects to have a service that does require a technician to enter the car the transaction can be done online or on the phone and the customer doesn't have to directly interact with the counter staff or the technician.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

As a follow up, we found ourselves in need of repairs this morning. 34*, light rain/snow mix, and scheduled for a travel day. Drivers side slide won't come in. Back end trying, front end dead in the water. Ni biggie, just a shear pin, right? No sir, 1 gear stripped most of the teeth. 6 RV dealers in the surrounding area, 2 answered the phone. Too many choices of Lippert gears to confirm if the one dealer that stocks a few had the on we need, and he was heading out to make deliveries before lunch, and the end of day. Okay, the rain is ls letting up. have lunch, warm up, then fix it as best as I can, with what  have. 2 ratchet straps, and the hydraulic ram. Ratchet straps tight, slide starting to go crooked. Quick bump with the hydraulics to cock the other way, then back to the straps. Repeat ad nauseam. The one mobile repair didn't answer the phone. It is early in the season, plus Covid restrictions, plus the weekend, all conspired to bend me over a barrel. Give it another 10 years, I'll report back on how long I'll wait for a repair service.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

My son is a fiber optics wifi installer in Omaha NE. He said they are still going on calls but will not enter the house. They are leaving the equipment on the front porch of the house and going back into their van parked on the street and talking to the homeowner on the phone telling them how to temporally hook up. They have to pass the cable thru a window and he grabs it outside and hooks it up to the outside cable box on the street. They advise the homeowner that they will need to schedule an appointment for the cable company to come back later to professionally install everything after this is over.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

On 4/11/2020 at 11:14 AM, Wrknrvr said:

Tests have been the biggest limiting factor, IMO. 

If by "universal testing", you mean tests available for everyone in the country, that could be a long wait.  If 1 million tests are being produced per week, it would be 330 weeks for the 330 million people in the US.  

It has been a while since I heard how many people have been tested.  I doubt even 20 million in the US have been tested yet. And I doubt there will be an even roll out of tests.  Likely mass testing will start in population centers and then spread to the rural areas.

On 4/11/2020 at 1:14 PM, Wrknrvr said:

If you need a mobile rv repair done, will you allow a technician to work on your unit?

Will you find a mobile rv repair technician that is willing to work on your unit?

Vern

First question is simple, if I will not allow a worker into my MH I will not call one. IMO, yes there will be working repair people; since it is their choice, I would not be disappointed when the phone was not answered or a recording informed me they were not working.

I respect your choice to suspend working (and making money). This virus can be deadly, and for survivors, quite often crippling to lungs for a long time.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

So this looks like it may be time for me to retire.  I have enough stuff to keep me busy for the summer on my own projects.

Learning how to tie flies for fly fishing. So fishing is allowed in Montana. Now if there are only a few visitors here this summer that is fine with us. i have been out once fishing in this Swan River. But several more trips this summer are planned.

We have been working on the garden. Just planted a few things yesterday. I am looking for toilet paper seeds. If anyone knows of a source please send info. Or do they grow on trees.

Also going to learn to cast some metal this summer. Will keep everyone informed on that subject in the hobby forum.

Now I do need to sort out what rv repair parts I do have for my own future needs. That will take a few days.

Maybe strip the Jeep down and paint it again. It does have over 300,000 miles on it.

Food supply is high on our list to stay ahead of.

everyone out there stay safe,    Vern 

Edited by Wrknrvr

5 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

We have been working on the garden. Just planted a few things yesterday. I am looking for toilet paper seeds. If anyone knows of a source please send info. Or do they grow on trees.

Actually, toilet paper grows IN trees. But it takes a lot of effort to get it out.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

Actually, toilet paper grows IN trees. But it takes a lot of effort to get it out.

Linda

No need to do that.  If you've got a garden, just use corn cobs.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

No need to do that.  If you've got a garden, just use corn cobs.

They're not as bad as you might think.  Just find a fuzzy one.  Mind you, any farmer would use cobs from corn that was mature, not "corn on the cob" cobs.

Use a red cob, then a white one to see if you need another red one.................

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

A couple of days ago we needed the washing machine in our cottage repaired. Since the unacceptable alternative would have been to use a laundromat, I reluctantly called for a service tech. He arrived masked and wearing disposable gloves and quickly determined from the diagnostics that it needed a new water valve assembly, requiring him to come back when it arrived. The next day he returned with the new valve and after unstacking the dryer made the needed repair in short order. He then restored everything back in place, still masked and gloved. His last step was to wipe down the entire machine with a disinfectant wipe. In mitigation, I'll add that we do not live in the cottage, rather we live next door in our motorhome. Our granddaughter however, is staying in the cottage to isolate from her family while she's temporarily assigned to an area hospital, but she was not here at the time. All in all, I think the proper precautions were taken as much as possible and the tech was very conscientious about protecting both himself and us.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

4 hours ago, rickeieio said:

They're not as bad as you might think.  Just find a fuzzy one.  Mind you, any farmer would use cobs from corn that was mature, not "corn on the cob" cobs.

Use a red cob, then a white one to see if you need another red one.................

If you used too many of them wouldn't they all come away red?

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

17 hours ago, sandsys said:

Linda

Borrowed from the FMCA forums: Rustic weave,

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

15 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Dutch, that sounds like a reasonable way to do things.   And since you weren’t sitting right by him while he worked, sounds like a reasonable way to get things working again.   

I was in the cottage with him, but not close of course. My wife stayed in the motorhome since she has COPD and we try not to take any unnecessary risks.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system