Starting to RV and concerned.

I've been doing it a long time and have had nothing happen that caused me to be afraid, but we are all different. 

If you are afraid of something specific, try to reason out what makes you afraid and do what you can to minimize the sensation. If you are afraid of loneliness or being alone, start out with a park that's close to your current friends and family. If you are afraid to drive, see if there are courses or people near you that would be willing to teach you some things to help you be less afraid. 

Good luck on your journey. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

As Rod said, try to identify what exactly you are afraid of, and then ask us how to deal with those issues.

Some things that you can do on your own is to educate yourself about what to do in various situations, find and join those organizations that apply to your situation, and join the brand-specific owners forum for your rv.

Start out with baby steps. Go to a campground near you with full hookups and a pull-through site. Spend a few days getting used to your new rig. Pick a place that is easy to get to (good roads, no crazy traffic, etc.). If possible, find a buddy to camp with a time or two. If that doesn't work, see if someone from your owners' forum or this forum can camp with you for a day or two, then maybe someone else can join you.

I'm guessing that you may be a single person. That can make it quite a bit harder to hook up, park, etc. Just take your time. Get out and look often.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Are you worried about choosing the right rig for you? Mechanical problems? Safety on the road? Ability to drive/park a rig? Finding people to camp with? Give us some clues, please. We'd like you to enjoy your journey as much as we all have so will do what we can to help you.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

The biggest fear I had as I was waiting for my first RV to be delivered was that I wouldn’t like it.  I knew someone who bought a truck and a used 5er.  My friend posted photos of her stocking it and making it their own, wrote about how excited they were on the eve of their first trip.  Then nothing.  I asked her later on and she said they took the rig out twice and hated it.

I got the travel trailer, spent a couple of days in it the first week I owned it and loved it - my fear was unfounded.

There are lots of things about RVing that can cause fear in newbies.  The best thing to deal with them is do lots of research and learn how to properly use your RV.  After a couple of trips it gets a lot easier.

Let us know what exactly you are afraid of and perhaps someone here can help you.

Hey Sandra it's been well over a week since you started a very vague "I'm afraid" thread.   You really need to give a lot more info in order for other folks to try and give you some useful suggestions based on what your "fears" might be.   Looking at your profile it says you are Canadian.   Where abouts are you in your journey?   Got Rig, looking at Rigs?   Planning short jaunts away from home in fine weather or longer extended trips.   Both Sides of the border?   Are you mechanically afraid or ?????   More info would really help others make adequate suggestions.

I'm an 80 year old woman who has been driving and traveling alone in a 32' motorhome for over 12 years and 203,000 miles.  In all that time, no one has ever bothered me, other than a few kids playing catch too close to my rig. 

I stay only in federal, state, and county RV parks, which are all very safe because they have camp hosts and are patrolled periodically.  Because I am alone, I do not stay at places like Walmarts or other parking lots, or boondock in the desert, but I do know women who do, and feel very safe doing so.  I also very seldom drive after dark. 

Motorhomes are easier to park and hook up than trailers, and they also allow you to stop and use your bathroom or fix a meal without doing outdoors.  I keep my cellphone close by at night in case I get sick or am worried about something going on outdoors, but i have not had to use it to call for help.

Anyway, give us some more information so we can help you better.  And by the way, the ratio of older women RVing alone is at least 3:1 compared to older men who travel alone, so we women do great!!!

Edited by Solo18
typo

8 hours ago, Solo18 said:

I'm an 80 year old woman who has been driving and traveling alone in a 32' motorhome for over 12 years and 203,000 miles.,,,, so we women do great!!!

Atta-Girl   And next year you will be 18, we love your story.

Clay & Marcie a 28 year old couple that married at 37

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

39 minutes ago, emilyhlib said:

I have the same feeling now. I don't know what it is related to

Maybe just the feeling we all have when about to embark on something new? If so, heading out will make it go away.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van