Alaska in 2024

dimar

Hi all!

I did not see an Alaska 2024 forum thread (just a maybe thread), so I decided to start one for all of us SKPers that are heading there.  We are, Diane and Andy, and we are heading there this spring.  We hope to cross into Canada around early May and into Alaska in Junish.... Probably heading back Septemberish...   We were there in 07 and in 09 and met so so many folks along the way.  SO!  I decided to start this to share our experiences along the way.   

Diane (and Andy, too)

Our blog:

Have a great trip!  We drove up a few times and absolutely loved it. 

No issues with any repairs or windshields.  We replaced all our tires before leaving on the last trip.  I think newbies need to keep in mind not to drive fast and if on a gravel section pull over as far as possible or even stop completely if no one is behind you and wait for the oncoming vehicle to pass.  That prevents a lot of rock throwing.

The only reservations we made (about 3 weeks prior when we could better judge when we'd be in the area) were for the July 4 weekend (Alaskans like to camp, too) and for our stay in Teklanika campground in Denali - the farthest one you can drive.  As it turned out, we were in the area early so on a whim we boondocked nearby and drove into the park early morning. We easily secured an additional 5 nights in the front campground, Riley Creek.  Staying in the park for 10 nights we saw THE mountain 7 of the 10 days in full sunshine nearly all day.  (Beautiful weather on our trip)  We also saw every one of the 'big' animals in the park.

We liked to go up on the Alaskan Hwy and return on the Cassier.  We also did the Top of the World Hwy.

Being able to spend the whole summer on this trip is the way to go!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

One day I will make the journey, just not this year. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.