TOTALLY, TOTALLY, TOTALLY OFF TOPIC

Big5er

Well the county took away my work truck today
i-F9TbjNQ-M.jpg

and gave me this
i-SWTH6n2-M.jpg

I'm gonna miss my old F-250 but the truckers are gonna hate the new ghost stripes. I had to take this picture using the flash to make the strips stand out.

The other cool thing is I can sneak up on Rick when he passes through here again.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Well actually law enforcement vehicles, by law, can be darker than personal vehicles but those fronts are at legal limits, at my request. The truck had darker tint than the Tahoe.  I hated the darker ones.

2014 smart Fortwo

8 hours ago, Big5er said:

The other cool thing is I can sneak up on Rick when he passes through here again.

Sheesh......  I tried, I really did.  But if you'll recall our phone conversation, you recommended I swing north and avoid the traffic, which also allowed us to get our A/C fixed.

We'll stop next time, I promise.:)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

We were figgerin on spending some time this winter in the hill country. Maybe now, not so much, or at least, may have to re-giggle  the routing...

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

I always call when passing by. But then Phil likes our dogs.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Now you have a back seat to haul all those perps to county jail. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

5.3L or 6.2L?  Either way, it should give you no trouble catching up to a Kenworth.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Those PPVs are super easy to pick out in traffic, even with the ghost lettering during the day.  *Especially* for a trucker with a high vantage point.   One is a near-certain giveaway from a mile out: no roof rack.  The other is a dead giveaway a little closer: the sharkfin OnStar antenna is moved from front to rear.  But I'm sure you still won't have any trouble keeping the little printer in the passenger seat busy.

I'm sure it'll take some adjustment, but will probably get the job done just fine.  Watch out though--I hear that new Chevy is lurking in plain sight, watching for a Smart to catch a ride on that red truck. 😉

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

16 hours ago, Big5er said:

Well actually law enforcement vehicles, by law, can be darker than personal vehicles but those fronts are at legal limits, at my request. The truck had darker tint than the Tahoe.  I hated the darker ones.

When I bought my last powerstroke in Austin, I drove back to TN. When it got dark, I realized I couldn't see anything in the mirrors the tint was so dark. The last six hours of driving, I had to roll down the windows to use the mirrors. When we peeled off the tint, it was triple sheets of limo tint. Put on legal in TN 20% and it is 100 shade brighter. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

18 hours ago, Big5er said:

Well the county took away my work truck today
i-F9TbjNQ-M.jpg

and gave me this
i-SWTH6n2-M.jpg

I'm gonna miss my old F-250 but the truckers are gonna hate the new ghost stripes. I had to take this picture using the flash to make the strips stand out.

Nice looking rig big5er.

Steve.....nothing can make me give up my DP. Especially some silly coffee drink.

Rick....Ok, I'll forgive ya. But y'all better stop the next time :)

Oh come on Paul...you know I love seeing Daisy, Paula and the driver.er, I mean and you.

Brad you are so right. I love your dogs. You, I tolerate but your dogs are a totally different story B)

Noteven, they will never figure it out. They used to just blow by the truck. The idiots will never even see this one.

Randy, I think its the 5.3L. I'm not really sure. been too busy putting all my crap in it. I haven't even opened the hood.

David don't tell my lieutenant that its easy to spot. She thinks it will be some great that we can sneak up on trucks now. I've never had any trouble finding truck with lights on the roof and colored stripes.....but what do I know? I'm just a deputy. 

Rocky, better? Ehh, the jury is still out on that. It's definitely different...and its the fanciest police car I've ever had. The stereo is just wicked. I've told my dispatcher if I don't answer the radio what a few for the song to end and try again.

Lockmup, yeah I hate really dark tint...from either side of the window.

Ben, thanks 

2014 smart Fortwo

It'll be the 5.3L. The PPVs don't have the 6.2L as an option. 

Good luck getting used to thinking the car is about to drive off in reverse without you every time you unlock the doors.  😮 I *hate* that setup, especially in busy parking lots.  You see lights come on, come to a stop to let someone out, only to see that they're still halfway across the lot pushing a shopping cart.  But if you start to ignore them, you seem like a jerk when someone's reverse lights actually do indicate that the car is in reverse.

It'll be interesting to see how the visibility affects your effectiveness--when they first started using them on the Indian reservations in northern NM, they were incredibly eye-catching, easily catching your attention at night from a mile away or more.  Your lieutenant is going to be disappointed you aren't any more productive than before, isn't she? Maybe it had nothing to do with a light bar, and more to do with how long the line was for a DP at Bucees?

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I just can't see a Ford Explorer being a pursuit vehicle....

The interceptor version of them are actually better than an old Crown Victoria interceptor by a long shot.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Yeah, the Explorer interceptors are fairly sweet. That seems to be the only vehicle we are buying, which is why everyone I work with keeps asking "thought they weren't buying any more Tahoe's"? They tried to put us in Explorers but all my gear won't fit. 

2014 smart Fortwo

At least they haven't fallen completely into the trap of other jurisdictions. The Pennsylvania State Police are switching all vehicles over to a medium grey with grey ghost lettering. The only reflective item the is PSP seal on the side. Absolutely cannot see them in rain, or snow, or at night. Lights are inside the vehicle, nothing on top. When questioned the PA officials just came up with a lame excuse that the vehicles now match the uniforms. 

The whole stealth/swat team trend thing with the cops is one of my pet peeves. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

A friend, who was a deputy sheriff, said the ghosted lettering on cruisers is used to fulfill the requirement that chasing cars is limited to "marked" cars.  It just didn't say how much marked.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

If anyone is curious, here's the marked car law for Texas: https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/TN/htm/TN.721.htm

It would appear that Phil's new vehicle wouldn't be considered a marked car, but it seems that just about every government agency has the ability to exempt themselves from the requirement to be marked.  Assuming the sheriff has put a rule in place, he doesn't need the ghost markings at all.

Some states definitely have "marked car" laws, and may not be explicit in requiring markings "in a color sufficiently different from the body of the vehicle or equipment so that the lettering is plainly legible" as Texas does.  But I'd hate to be the officer trying to explain to a judge that I made a stop driving a marked car when the department has been quoted in news articles talking about how the ghost cars are hard to pick out...

Archived