Hercules Brushless Impact (Harbor Freight)

lappir

VtA9kUEl.jpeg

Had heard good things about this item, so less than 3 years ago I bought one. Seemed to work as advertised up until a few days ago when I got it out to help with my recent Tool Box project. Charged up the battery at my newly located and hopefully where I will always have my charger (maybe after removing the one for this). Put the battery on and pulled the trigger and it maybe did a half turn before stopping and hasn't move a mm since. I've tried recharging the battery but it shows a full charge. I tried assisting with the move thinking it maybe had a "Dead Spot" but nothing worked. Just got off the phone with the Harbor Freight help and they suggested finding a "Qualified Technician" to investigate further and maybe have parts at their disposal. "Harbor Freight has no replacement parts and since you didn't opt for the "Extended" Warranty replacement is not an option."

So I'm preparing to become a "Qualified Tech" and open the stupid thing up. Anyone operated on one yet? 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

It's probably a bad battery - especially if it's Chinese made.  

When I opened my Chinese made rechargeable fan I found the battery puffed up (a lithium polymer battery) and the amp hours much less than claimed on their advertising.  Dead battery.
The manufacturer either lied or their battery supplier cheated them.

The lipo batteries will die if their voltage drops below a certain point.  I suspect that, over time, they self-discharge to the point where they won't take a charge. 

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

3 minutes ago, justRich said:

It's probably a bad battery - especially if it's Chinese made.  

When I opened my Chinese made rechargeable fan I found the battery puffed up (a lithium polymer battery) and the amp hours much less than claimed on their advertising.  Dead battery.
The manufacturer either lied or their battery supplier cheated them.

The lipo batteries will die if their voltage drops below a certain point.  I suspect that, over time, they self-discharge to the point where they won't take a charge. 

The battery has never been discharged fully and shows a full charge. I haven't taken the volt meter to it yet, but I'm sure it's at max voltage.  Thanks for the reply. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Sometimes on things like this it is the on switch.  Hopefully it is something simple.  Likely the battery was made in China since they make nearly all of the lithium batteries. China battery production is second to none. It doesn't seem bad by your description.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

If you're counting on having equipment worth passing down to future generations, Harbor Freight isn't the place to buy anything with a cord. Pull it apart, focusing on wire connections. A bad solder joint will only get worse with use, before getting bad enough to fail. Check out the trigger switch, if the solder joints all pass inspection. I've had a HF variable speed drill switch fail to all or none mode.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

7 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

If you're counting on having equipment worth passing down to future generations, Harbor Freight isn't the place to buy anything with a cord. Pull it apart, focusing on wire connections. A bad solder joint will only get worse with use, before getting bad enough to fail. Check out the trigger switch, if the solder joints all pass inspection. I've had a HF variable speed drill switch fail to all or none mode.

Not planning on passing it down, most likely obsolete by the time I pass. At least I hope so. It's also not corded per se' only the charger has a cord and it's working fine. Haven't torn it apart yet, still thinking about trying an in person return to the store where I bought it. I'll be there in a month. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800