Engine noise

texastraveler1

We are looking at options for class c rv's. I have researched the pros and cons for gas vs diesel but I cannot find anything that compares engine noise. We had a 2006 gas class A many years ago and the engine noise was horrible. I know dp's are much quieter because the engine is in the back, but what about a class C? Both types of engines are in the front, so, is one quiter than the other?

Our 2008 Winnebago View Class C had a diesel engine and the noise was surprisingly quiet. We could talk with people standing by the open cab window without shutting down the engine or feeling like we were yelling.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I do not have a Class C, I do however have a diesel pickup and I can say that it is no noisier than my son's gas pickup. Outside it seems to me that the Ford and GM diesel engines are quieter than the RAM Cummins engine. One thing to consider in your deliberations is fuel economy. Diesel will not necessarily get better.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

As Chalkie points out, some diesels are noisier than others, and the same goes for gasoline engines.  That carries over to the bigger diesels in diesel pushers and hdt's as well.

So, take a ride in a few and see what falls within your tolerance threshold.

Personally, unless you're putting a lot of miles on, I'd opt for a gas motor, both for upfront price and normal maintenance.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

If the cost per mile is any consideration you need to keep in mind that with diesel running 30-60ȼ more per gallon than gasoline, the difference in fuel milage will not offset the additional cost of fuel. Having owned both diesel and gasoline vehicles, I assure you that most owners find that the diesel maintenance costs more as well. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

When I was still running the farm, I crunched the numbers pretty hard.  I had 4 consecutive V-10 trucks, while my partners had diesels.  My operating costs were significantly lower.  Power diff was moot as we weren't working them that hard on a full time basis.  But then, my 2020 f-150 makes more usable power than the early PowerStrokes.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

20 hours ago, texastraveler1 said:

I know dp's are much quieter because the engine is in the back

Not sure you are really considering "engine" noise, but perhaps engine noise you hear in the drivers seat. Yes DPs will produce less noise in the drivers seat due to location of the engine but the engines themselves, well most diesels will be noisier esp under hard accelaration.  Unless you will be towing something heavy, there is no reason to dismiss gas engines.  Those chassis are designed for that service and they are less expensive for a Class C properly outfitted.

Marcel

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

If the cost per mile is any consideration you need to keep in mind that with diesel running 30-60ȼ more per gallon than gasoline, the difference in fuel milage will not offset the additional cost of fuel. Having owned both diesel and gasoline vehicles, I assure you that most owners find that the diesel maintenance costs more as well. 

Around here right now anyway, midgrade or premium gas is more than diesel. The new Ford 7.3 gas engine calls for 87 octane which in high elevation states would be midgrade. Fuel in general is getting pricey.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

4 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Around here right now anyway, midgrade or premium gas is more than diesel. The new Ford 7.3 gas engine calls for 87 octane which in high elevation states would be midgrade. Fuel in general is getting pricey.

True, but at higher elevations, fuel burns slower, negating the need for higher octane.  Go to Denver, or higher, and 85 octane will run just fine in most gas vehicles, unless they're of European origin.  

Fuel is indeed getting pricey, but no more than most other things.  My grandsons, working at McDonalds, work less to drive 100 miles than I did at their age.  But, my '68 Barracuda 6 cylinder only got 17 mpg.  Fuel today is a relative bargain.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

What size Class C are you looking for and how much do you expect load in the RV. I have looked at many Class C's and found many longer Class C's to be near maxing out on weight before the owner added added the groceries. The Super C's have a heavier frame, So that said, what is your planned use. Are you going to be 3-4 hours a day, driving maybe 15,000 miles yearly. The diesel may more sense. Driving shorter distances go with the gas.  Presently, I have noticed the price of gas and diesel (with fuel card) and nearly the same, not the dollar difference not long ago

A school system had several small trucks and they specially would look and spec only gas trucks that starter easily can be changed and door hinges easily replaced. Look over you what need, Modern trucks are quieter by either noise reduction in the engine or better insulation in the cab. Does the Class C have front end insulation.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C