This Walmart is very unfriendly to R.V.s

dgezy

Address:

6626 FM 1960 East
Humble, TX 77346

We called the store at about 2:00PM on Sept11, 2018 to ask permission to stay overnight. The assistant manager I talked to said that the parking lot was on the small side but it would be OK and we should park on the side by the garden center. We pulled in and parked about 5:00PM and positioned well back out of the way.  We put one small bed slide out because we have to for access. We had no jacks down.  There are signs saying “No Truck Parking” but we thought nothing of it since we had asked for and received permission. At 5:00AM there was a knock on the door from Walmart security telling us we have to leave now. We told him we had asked permission but when he radioed back to the current manager on duty she said didn’t matter there is no truck parking.  I pointed out the the sign says NO Truck Parking with no mention of RV. I was told it means both and we had to leave now. It took about a half hour to get fully awake and dressed and we obviously left and then we were trying to thread our way around Houston in the dark and rain.  I will point out they had no problem allowing us to spend over $100.00 on merchandise the evening we stopped.  I must say though, the security guard was very polite through all of this.

I suggest staying away from this Walmart period.

Dave G 

It all boils down to WalMart is not a campground.  The intended use was to come in late, get a few hours sleep and back on the road.  Because so many have abused the use of WalMart parking over the years, many stores no longer allow RV parking more than a few hours.  Many cities under the pressure of local campground owners have passed legislation prohibiting RV and truck parking for more than an hour or two.

I never feel safe just dropping anchor over night in a strange parking lot.  You never know what kind of folks wander through during the night.

But always check with the store manager and get their name if you want to use a parking lot.  You did say you were there in excess of 12 hours.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

It's unfortunate that the two managers didn't have the same story.  Were there any other RVs parks there?  However, you did get a night's sleep - free.  It sounds like the WalMart was a small one as the manager stated the parking lot is small.  That might be the reason for the 'no trucks' sign. 

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I phoned a small WM in Western Ky last year and asked about overnighting, the woman apologized and said their parking lot was small and nearly full all the time;  there was no parking for RV's or trucks. I thanked her for taking the time to explain and said goodby. I looked up the address on Google maps and she was absolutely correct, it showed a nearly full, "L" shaped parking lot that was shared with a strip-mall.

I seldom stop at WM to overnight, and always go inside and request permission when we do, even if I had phoned already.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

3 hours ago, Klabuskes1 said:

When you do go in, where do you go? Customer service desk?

On the rare occasions when we have spent a night at Walmart that is where I go to ask but I ask to speak to the store manager if possible. I have done that at Lowe's as well.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 hours ago, Mr. Camper said:

I believe that says all that needs to be said.

I agree also.  It would have to be an extreme situation before it would even be remotely considered by us.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

43 minutes ago, jc2 said:

I agree also.  It would have to be an extreme situation before it would even be remotely considered by us.

Yet, many of us stop overnight at Walmart when on our way to someplace else. Especially when we have a Class B not towing a car. We do our shopping en route to our next destination so why not stay there for the night? Why drive to then pay for a spot when we are already tired from the day's driving and we are self-contained?

I liked to park before dark, have a meal that used up groceries on hand, then go into the store and stock up for the next part of my trip before going to bed. The next morning I would be refreshed and ready for the next leg of my trip.

Most Walmart's are happy to have us come in and buy all our groceries plus anything else we need. Just like Cracker Barrel is happy to have us stay overnight then come in for breakfast the next morning. And Home Depot is happy to have us in the outer edges of their parking lot while doing a project so we can make many trips into their store to buy whatever else we find we need to finish our project. These companies want us to spend money with them so they encourage us to spend time there. There is no shame in us doing so. If you choose not to do that that's fine, too.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

"dgerzy" - Dave G:

Walmart's property belongs to Walmart - not me!  Overnighting is a "perk", not a right. It's a business, not a campground!

My two similar? experiences:

I have/had no axe to grind, nor was I upset when "overnighting" was denied at one location and rescinded at another (as happened to poster "dgerzy:")

Both with a 5th wheel. Both instances were due to my "pushing it" when I should have stopped way sooner for the night.

Caliornia, Pismo Beach (not a 24 hr store). Parking lot had a couple of MHs & a toy hauler.  I went inside and asked a "red shirt" if it was OK to overnight in the parking lot.  He replied, "no problem - go right ahead".

About the time the store was closing, security came around and said overnight parking was *not* permitted.  Along with the toy hauler owner, we told security we had been told it was OK.  Apparently, we were miss-informed!  The security guy was polite, said it was a city ordinance - and volunteered a couple of locations less than a mile away which were outside the city limits.  We overnighted in a K-Mart parking lot -with several other RVs- which was about  a 5 minute drive from the Wally.

The Dalles, Oregon (not a 24 hr store).  Had hoped to find a campground along the Columbia River, but being a weekend (with no reservations) we were out of luck.  Pulled into the Wally, and planned to visit the store before it closed.  Probably hadn't got 20 ft away from the 5th, when I was met by an Asst Mgr and an employee.  They said I was welcome to shop, but at closing - NO Parking would be enforced.

In chatting with them, they said at one time ("dgexy" take note!) they did allow it, but they had everything from tents, to folks in sleeping bags on the ground, as well as long-term "residents" in a variety of vehicles..  Consequently, Walmart asked the city to pass (and enforce) a "No Parking ordinance, which it did. 

As with Pismo, they suggested an alternative a few miles down the road, which worked out just fine.

I still shop at Wally - and will still overnight - hopefully at locations where it's OK. If not allowed, no big deal - that's why RV's have wheels!

12 hours ago, jc2 said:

We don't make a regular habit of trying to stay at Walmarts, Cabela's, or other free spots.  However, if you travel full time there are times when it just may not work out getting into a commercial campground for a one night stay.  Could be nothing available in the 300 mile to 400 miles range you want to travel that day, or if a CG is available maybe they are full or your rig is too big for their sites.   If we do stop and use a free retail store spot we always go in and spend some money.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

14 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

In chatting with them, they said at one time ("dgexy" take note!) they did allow it, but they had everything from tents, to folks in sleeping bags on the ground, as well as long-term "residents" in a variety of vehicles..  Consequently, Walmart asked the city to pass (and enforce) a "No Parking ordinance, which it did.

You must have heard wrong because it's always a disgruntled campground owner who gets cities to pass no overnight parking ordinances, and it's fine to put out slides because if Walmart didn't want you putting out slides they'd tell you they don't want you putting out slides.

Going to the city to ask for a "no parking" ordinance sure doesn't sound like the Walmart that's described in most RV discussions.

17 minutes ago, Blues said:

You must have heard wrong because it's always a disgruntled campground owner who gets cities to pass no overnight parking ordinances, and it's fine to put out slides because if Walmart didn't want you putting out slides they'd tell you they don't want you putting out slides.

Going to the city to ask for a "no parking" ordinance sure doesn't sound like the Walmart that's described in most RV discussions.

If I were the manager or district manager of that store with the described problems and my supers wouldn't let me put up and enforce no parking signs , you can bet your toes I'd go to the city , one way or another , and request that they take care of the vagrant problem .

Goes around , comes around .

I almost never go to WalMart. I have been using Cabellas a lot lately. Their store in Sidney NE (their HQ) has a campground or you can stay one night in the lot. Billings MT store has RV parking wth electric hook up and a dump station But you can only stay one night. Omaha NE store has RV spaces out back, no hookup and no dump station, one night stay. Way to go Cabellas. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

3 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

If I were the manager or district manager of that store with the described problems and my supers wouldn't let me put up and enforce no parking signs , you can bet your toes I'd go to the city , one way or another , and request that they take care of the vagrant problem .

Go over the head of your boss? Might be a good way to find yourself out of a job.

From the Walmart corporate website:

Can I park my RV at a Walmart store?

While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store parking lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Some people think that it is their "right" to park at WalMart.  Decent people treat it as a privilege..spending just enough time to get sleep..and they're on their way.  The entitled "slobs" act like WalMart is their own private property....and treat it as such. The same "slob" mentality is also causing some public lands to be gated or posted.

One of our online newspapers ran an editorial rant last spring about a 5th wheel trailer that had been "camping" (their word) in the local Walmart parking lot for over two weeks. They said the trailer was even tapped into power at the opened base of a light pole. I had to laugh the next day when they published a full retraction. It seems the Walmart store manager had contacted them with the information that the trailer belonged to a contractor that was working on a computer systems upgrade in the store and was only a mobile office and parts warehouse, with no living quarters. Apparently a simple inquiry in the store before publication was beyond the paper's journalistic expertise. Oops!

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

5 hours ago, Twotoes said:

I almost never go to WalMart. I have been using Cabellas a lot lately. Their store in Sidney NE (their HQ) has a campground or you can stay one night in the lot. Billings MT store has RV parking wth electric hook up and a dump station But you can only stay one night. Omaha NE store has RV spaces out back, no hookup and no dump station, one night stay. Way to go Cabellas. 

Cabellas in Rogers, MN, on I-94 has pull through parking, animal pens, water faucet, and dump. But it is posted no overnight parking.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I've stayed in many WM's and never asked permission at a  single one of them. They just seem irritated when you do that.

Just curious, how do you know that?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Archived