newbe question about TP

Den

The key to keeping your black tank healthy is using a lot of water and emptying it only when very full or if you have the ability to flush it if doing a less than full empty. I don't use any chemicals. Charmin is septic safe, but does take longer to break down compared to some other brands. In a septic system it may not cause a problem, but if you have a person who uses a LOT of TP it could be a problem.  Save a few glass jars and do a test of your normal tp use. Place the clean amount you typically use in the jar full of water and set it somewhere dark for a day or two. Shake the jar and see how it's either still together or all broken up in tiny pieces. It's tiny pieces you want. If it takes longer than you typically plan to stay at a location you could have the potential for a bit of a clog.  The addition of human waste may speed the reaction, but I don't think anyone really wants to do that test. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

We had plumbing issues at the house before we sold.  Tree roots loved to creep into our main sewer pipe out.  At that time, we started using the Scott 1-ply TP, to reduce blockage and reduce the frequency we had to have a plumber come out and "rooter" the pipe.

When we sold and went to the RV, and read about various issues, we used the same TP.  We haven't had a single blockage in two years.  Others are correct, though, that plenty of water in your flushing makes all the difference.  You can find it at almost every grocery store, Walmart, etc.

193941.jpg?quality=80&bg-color=255,255,2

MyRVRadio - Streaming online 24/7 at MyRVRadio.com and via mobile apps! Content for RVers from RVers.   2018 Grand Design Momentum 399TH • 2019 Ford F-350 (DRW)
2016 Harley-Davidson Heritage • 2013 Harley Sportster with a sidecar
Web: https://MyRVRadio.com • Facebook: https://fb.com/MyRVRadio  

6 hours ago, Den said:

Is this good enough?

Lappir gives a pretty good response to this question. Over the years I have learned that women in general use far more TP than do men and that can make TP more of a problem. While we use Charmin at home, we use the Scott's single ply in our RVs and have done so for many years and have never had a problem. How much TP is too much for the RV system is a very subjective question since no 2 of us use the same amount of TP per use and the water used each flush is not measured. Scott's single ply is less in total volume per use in most cases and the mix of TP & feces to the volume of water is the key. Some RV owners also believe that adding chemicals to the black tank help, while many others (and myself) believe that it is a waste of money. Since there is really no definitive answer to these questions, we can really only tell you what we have personally done and those results, what we have observed others do and their claimed results, and what we read or hear around a campfire. 

We have known more than a few RV people who never put the used TP into the black tank but keep a trash bag next to the toilet and put it there. If you were to do that, the brand, quality, and amount of TP used will never matter, but I'm pretty sure that the majority of us do put the TP into the black tank, as we do.

Since the only experience that I personally know to be absolutely true is ours here is what we have done. In our earliest years we used chemicals all of the time and also RV TP. After a few years we learned to save money by going to a single ply, septic safe TP and so stopped with the RV store stuff. In the 1990's we tried several home-brew chemicals in our tanks and learned that nothing really makes the stuff in them odorless and the tank vents are key to that. In early 2000 we sold the house and went fulltime, and after 2 years we attended a seminar on waste tanks usage put on by an engineer from Thetford who suggested that generous use of water and septic safe TP used sparingly were the keys to proper breakdown of solids. Dump the black tank only when half full or more and be very generous in water use. We always fill the toilet bowl to at least the half way point if leaving solids behind and we try to limit the amount of Scott's single ply used. We lived that way fulltime for another 10 years and have continued the practice now that we are part time. In all of those years I have never experienced a plugged up waste tank. 

Edited by Kirk W
repair a typo

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

7 hours ago, Den said:

I was just reading the Charmin labels and they say that they are safe for septic systems.  Is this good enough?

That is what we use and have never had an issue. Use plenty of water and flush well.

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

8 hours ago, Den said:

I was just reading the Charmin labels and they say that they are safe for septic systems.  Is this good enough?

We've been using Charmin for years.  The key, no matter which toilet paper you use, is to use plenty of water when you flush.  And, of course, keeping the black tank closed until it's time to dump!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We use whatever's on sale. Charmin, Kirkland, Kitten brand, whatever. No single ply garbage, either. Good bit of water, dump only when 3/4 full or better. Multiple RVs, many many years.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

3 hours ago, LindaH said:

We've been using Charmin for years.  The key, no matter which toilet paper you use, is to use plenty of water when you flush.  And, of course, keeping the black tank closed until it's time to dump!

I totally agree! The question of which TP brand to use was solved years ago by a girl performing a science project: The great toilet paper debate is solved!

Well, unless the black tank is dumped more often than every 20 minutes.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Now the great debate is is the correct way to put the roll on the holder....over the front or over the back.  But that is already solved.  The original patent for toilet paper shows the paper over the front of the roll.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Toilet-paper-roll-patent-US465588-0.png

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

1 hour ago, TXiceman said:

Now the great debate is is the correct way to put the roll on the holder....over the front or over the back.

For awhile there was a toilet paper with a printed design on one side. It only looked good if you put the roll on over the top.

But, Dave's sister learned to put the TP on the holder going under--otherwise their cat would unroll all of it.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

48 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Science? Are you serious that you believe this?   images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwNFxARtHAv7JmZXqN7uk

Believe what? Girl? Science? Girls in science?

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

5 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Science? Are you serious that you believe this?

Why not? It's replicable. In fact, it's what most of us did when deciding which TP to use. Angel Soft fell apart quickly which made me happy since I liked that brand and it was readily available at Walmart.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

6 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Did you read the scientific study his link leads to? 

I had. Answer the question, please.

Please e-mail us here.

We've used Charmin for years with no problems. As said, using enough water is the key regardless of the brand. Charmin may take a little longer than some to break down, but it still breaks down faster than my old body can pull up my pants and run outside to dump the tank. ;)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On 9/19/2021 at 2:49 PM, Kirk W said:

Science? Are you serious that you believe this?   images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwNFxARtHAv7JmZXqN7uk

Her mother posted that many years ago; yes a science project for school. Don't make too much fun of her, she's an adult now.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961