newbe question about TP

Den

1 hour ago, Pat & Pete said:

That^ . Plain and simply . 

X2

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I have told folks for years to just use a septic safe TP and plenty of paper.  About every other dump, I flush the tank.  And about twice a year, I put in about 1/4 tank of water and a cup of cheap dish washer powered detergent when we have a short travel day planned.  The dump and rinse the tank on arrival.  Eight plus years full time and no issues with the tanks,

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Yes, we all go.  Now some serious (but may seem off color) experience gained in my camping life.  BTW, first RV with wheels was a 1968 Scamper PuP.  First RV with a real toilet and a black tank was 1973.  I think that is about 47 years of poo experience.  Let's see, a single sheet of TP measures approximately 4" x 4".  As I have been told most folks sitting on a potty roll off about 6 squares to clean themselves.  That's 2 feet.  Some use more, some less.  Anyhow those 6 squares are (again typically - I don't have a recent survey) folded once so they are two layers thick and then folded once more giving 4 layers of thickness or a piece 4" x 6".  This is used to clean one's behind then dropped into the toilet bowl.  From potty discussions shared around the campfire that I have been privy to,  most folks willing to discuss such habits report this is repeated at least two more times ( 3 wipes) for a total of 6 feet of TP.  A husband and wife with the "usual" 40 gallon black tank can go 5-7 days before the tank is 3/4 full - it all depends on how much water is used.  If each visits the head for a number 2 daily this is 84 feet of TP.  Of course, how "regular" you are and baring any gastric disturbances easily changes these numbers.  The wife often adds several more feet since she is more apt to clean after a number 1 than the hubby.  These numbers can make one realize how easy it is for TP to hang up in a ball or catch on a black tank valve and create that dreaded clog.

One would think that a single ply paper would reduce what must be digested in the black tank.  But, it doesn't work that way.  When single ply paper like those specifically sold for RV use are used by individuals they tend to use more than the typical 2 feet per wipe.  To make up for the thinner TP it is not a surprise to learn that twice as much is often used to keep from experiencing the dreaded tear through and brown fingers.  There is no argument that the density of the TP (single vs. 2-ply) gives single ply a slight advantage for dissolving.  Also, TP sold specifically for RV's and boats (Camco) comes on a loosely wound roll with fewer sheets for a significantly higher price.  Considering the number of sheets, roll and often using more of the product your cost of a single roll is at least 4X, if not more, than the cost of household septic safe TP.

Virtually all RV black tank additives claim to assist in the rapid dissolving of TP.  Actually, any surfacant will do the same.  Adding some detergent - even cheap liquids, or a couple of packets of automatic dishwasher detergent, will do the same as expensive tank additives. 

Agitation is another excellent method to keep TP from clogging things up.  If possible, do not dump your black tank before you move from one CG to another.  Dump when you arrive - the contents will be broken up and dissolved from motion while traveling.  If you are not moving an in-tank whirling wash out accessory will agitate the contents sufficiently to aid in a clean dump. Run it a minute or so before opening the dump valve - then keep it running.   Also, keep in mind that many of the "dissolving tests" using water alone in jars can give inaccurate results.  Only a test of multiple TP samples in affluent from your black tank and perhaps the chemical you might select will give accurate results.  An active bacteria colony is your friend in maintaining black tank health.  You need the bacteria to help break down TP.  Plenty of water in the black tank is your friend when you are in a CG with hook-ups.  Boondocking or camping without a water hook-up calls for a different procedure.  We use gray water collected in a bucket to manually flush the potty conserving fresh potable water and reducing gray tank volume somewhat.

I could tell you a lot more of our experiences and observations about TP use.  One gentleman I know shared that his family NEVER puts TP in the commode.  They deposit it in a can with a plastic bag liner and lid to be put in the trash (ugh).  The truth is use whatever TP you use at home as long as it is not a page from a Sears and Roebuck catalog. And NEVER put any of those baby bottom wet wipes in your potty unless you want to become a real brownnoser.

You can also purchase a Bidet Butler from folks like Clear Rear that fits on an RV potty with the china bowl so you can reduce TP usage by 1/2 or more.  Don't laugh, they are great!  We have one on ours.  One caution - if the water at your hook-up is really cold you can get a shock of sorts.

Edited by RandyA

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

9 hours ago, RandyA said:

Yes, we all go.  Now some serious (but may seem off color) experience gained in my camping life.  BTW, first RV with wheels was a 1968 Scamper PuP.  First RV with a real toilet and a black tank was 1973.  I think that is about 47 years of poo experience.  Let's see, a single sheet of TP measures approximately 4" x 4".  As I have been told most folks sitting on a potty roll off about 6 squares to clean themselves.  That's 2 feet.  Some use more, some less.  Anyhow those 6 squares are (again typically - I don't have a recent survey) folded once so they are two layers thick and then folded once more giving 4 layers of thickness or a piece 4" x 6".  This is used to clean one's behind then dropped into the toilet bowl.  From potty discussions shared around the campfire that I have been privy to,  most folks willing to discuss such habits report this is repeated at least two more times ( 3 wipes) for a total of 6 feet of TP.  A husband and wife with the "usual" 40 gallon black tank can go 5-7 days before the tank is 3/4 full - it all depends on how much water is used.  If each visits the head for a number 2 daily this is 84 feet of TP.  Of course, how "regular" you are and baring any gastric disturbances easily changes these numbers.  The wife often adds several more feet since she is more apt to clean after a number 1 than the hubby.  These numbers can make one realize how easy it is for TP to hang up in a ball or catch on a black tank valve and create that dreaded clog.

One would think that a single ply paper would reduce what must be digested in the black tank.  But, it doesn't work that way.  When single ply paper like those specifically sold for RV use are used by individuals they tend to use more than the typical 2 feet per wipe.  To make up for the thinner TP it is not a surprise to learn that twice as much is often used to keep from experiencing the dreaded tear through and brown fingers.  There is no argument that the density of the TP (single vs. 2-ply) gives single ply a slight advantage for dissolving.  Also, TP sold specifically for RV's and boats (Camco) comes on a loosely wound roll with fewer sheets for a significantly higher price.  Considering the number of sheets, roll and often using more of the product your cost of a single roll is at least 4X, if not more, than the cost of household septic safe TP.

Virtually all RV black tank additives claim to assist in the rapid dissolving of TP.  Actually, any surfacant will do the same.  Adding some detergent - even cheap liquids, or a couple of packets of automatic dishwasher detergent, will do the same as expensive tank additives. 

Agitation is another excellent method to keep TP from clogging things up.  If possible, do not dump your black tank before you move from one CG to another.  Dump when you arrive - the contents will be broken up and dissolved from motion while traveling.  If you are not moving an in-tank whirling wash out accessory will agitate the contents sufficiently to aid in a clean dump. Run it a minute or so before opening the dump valve - then keep it running.   Also, keep in mind that many of the "dissolving tests" using water alone in jars can give inaccurate results.  Only a test of multiple TP samples in affluent from your black tank and perhaps the chemical you might select will give accurate results.  An active bacteria colony is your friend in maintaining black tank health.  You need the bacteria to help break down TP.  Plenty of water in the black tank is your friend when you are in a CG with hook-ups.  Boondocking or camping without a water hook-up calls for a different procedure.  We use gray water collected in a bucket to manually flush the potty conserving fresh potable water and reducing gray tank volume somewhat.

I could tell you a lot more of our experiences and observations about TP use.  One gentleman I know shared that his family NEVER puts TP in the commode.  They deposit it in a can with a plastic bag liner and lid to be put in the trash (ugh).  The truth is use whatever TP you use at home as long as it is not a page from a Sears and Roebuck catalog. And NEVER put any of those baby bottom wet wipes in your potty unless you want to become a real brownnoser.

You can also purchase a Bidet Butler from folks like Clear Rear that fits on an RV potty with the china bowl so you can reduce TP usage by 1/2 or more.  Don't laugh, they are great!  We have one on ours.  One caution - if the water at your hook-up is really cold you can get a shock of sorts.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

From potty discussions shared around the campfire that I have been privy to, 

I'm surprised no one picked up my "play on words" in the above sentence.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

18 minutes ago, podwerkz said:

Nobody separates waste?

Poop goes in potty, paper goes in a separate waste container.

Heck you can use paper towels, phone books,  or corncobs that way...whatever you have...'handy'...

🤠

... that doesn't have a chance of ever happening in our rig .

Poop wipe goes in the same place as the poop ... down the tube . 

12 years of that has never presented even an inkling of a problem .

Goes around , comes around .