What did you do to your truck today?

jenandjon

So other than the build build I'm trying to wrap up, Today is a recharging of the air conditioning, draining the air tanks, and figuring out which gasket kit I need for the roto-filter thing. It's leaking. 

Also need to find a tap-into place on the wet-tank air tanks to run an air line to the rear of the bed...and what path to thread the PEX back. Somehow I think this is going to be a challenge to put in a user-accessable shut-off valve near the air tank. My MDT (International) did not have a shut-off valve in line with the air hose quick release fitting. It was a shorter run and, as I recall, plumbed with copper. All I can invision now is having to pull the side fairing off each time I want to open or close the valve. Which means it would (for practical reasons) stay open all the time until I got a leak in the line somewhere, then I would go through the hassle of getting to the valve. Maybe that's just okay.

Oh, and I did install a 2 camera dash-cam. Second camera attached to drivers side mirror looking back. Shame we have to put these in to defend against bone-head drivers. But such is life today.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Semi-Sane II, NEEDS a new exhaust system, the original one has gone bad lots of little holes rusted through.  I had to put one of those 4 inch wide band clamps on the horizontal pipe that attaches to the down tube from the turbo, when that cracked to say it was loud is an understatement.  So now I have to decide replace with the stock 5 inch pipes or go a bit larger, 6 inch might be nice no way I would go with the HUGE pipes you see on some trucks nowadays.

Dave

Dave I had 7 inch stacks on my Pete. I burned myself a few times. Wife was not happy riding either. She got burned a few times also.

When I got my new KW I was shooting the bull with the sales manager. He said more and more guys are gong back to the factory style "classic look" of mufflers and 5 inch tips. They have a heat shield and more grab bars so the wife wont get so hot climbing in.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

9 minutes ago, trimster said:

So other than the build build I'm trying to wrap up, Today is a recharging of the air conditioning, draining the air tanks, and figuring out which gasket kit I need for the roto-filter thing. It's leaking. 

Also need to find a tap-into place on the wet-tank air tanks to run an air line to the rear of the bed...and what path to thread the PEX back. Somehow I think this is going to be a challenge to put in a user-accessable shut-off valve near the air tank. My MDT (International) did not have a shut-off valve in line with the air hose quick release fitting. It was a shorter run and, as I recall, plumbed with copper. All I can invision now is having to pull the side fairing off each time I want to open or close the valve. Which means it would (for practical reasons) stay open all the time until I got a leak in the line somewhere, then I would go through the hassle of getting to the valve. Maybe that's just okay.

Oh, and I did install a 2 camera dash-cam. Second camera attached to drivers side mirror looking back. Shame we have to put these in to defend against bone-head drivers. But such is life today.

I dont know if this will work in your application or not but I just plumbed into the supply line for the trailer. I put a quick coupler on the end. When I want air I push the red button.

26 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

I dont know if this will work in your application or not but I just plumbed into the supply line for the trailer. I put a quick coupler on the end. When I want air I push the red button.

Thought about that. But as I understand it, the air pressure there is not as much as a direct connect to the tank. Might be wrong.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

1 hour ago, trimster said:

Thought about that. But as I understand it, the air pressure there is not as much as a direct connect to the tank. Might be wrong.

I guess I cant answer that. It enough to air up a tire and run my cheap little air impact. That's all I really need.

Pressure is the same, but flow may be reduced.  It may take a bit longer to air up a tire, and an impact may not reach full torque.  But, it makes life easier in most cases.  I have a 50' hose with a glad hand on one end and a quick coupler on the other, plus a glad hand with just a coupler.

A coupe minutes more to air a tire is less grief than fooling with removing fairings to access a valve.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

2 hours ago, jenandjon said:

Dave I had 7 inch stacks on my Pete. I burned myself a few times. Wife was not happy riding either. She got burned a few times also.

When I got my new KW I was shooting the bull with the sales manager. He said more and more guys are gong back to the factory style "classic look" of mufflers and 5 inch tips. They have a heat shield and more grab bars so the wife wont get so hot climbing in.

Howdy Jon,

I like the "Classic" look that's why I bought and ( bilt ) the Pete, the huge pipe to me just look so out of place.  I would not give up the heat shields nor the grab bars so when the money hits the counter I am leaning toward just going down to the local Peterbilt store, giving them the last six of my VIN number and getting another stock setup that way I know it will fit and be made of good quality materials.

The one complaint I have and it's a major issue for the wife unit is lack of good grab bars in the cab itself; on the drivers side you can grab the steering wheel on the passenger side there isn't much to grab onto and there is really no place that is structurally strong enough to install one.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

Pressure is the same, but flow may be reduced.  It may take a bit longer to air up a tire, and an impact may not reach full torque.  But, it makes life easier in most cases.  I have a 50' hose with a glad hand on one end and a quick coupler on the other, plus a glad hand with just a coupler.

A coupe minutes more to air a tire is less grief than fooling with removing fairings to access a valve.

I use this method ^. 

Connect to the glad hand for trailer air supply  - “red” valve on the dash.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

7 hours ago, jenandjon said:

Works, too. Reduced flowrate, and if you pull line pressure down enough, the red button goes "Pop", and you get to climb back in to push it in again. The valve semi-permanantly left open has merit, as the most important time you'll need it is when the line downstream gets damaged.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

For us the only thing I did today to the truck was drive it! Start of our trip to visit family and go to the ECR rally in a couple of weeks.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I called my local Mack dealer where I took the Volvo for a check-up.  When I had the x/y put on in Texas, they advised the tranny fluid was slightly milky.  So, a pressure check of the cooler is in order.  It's in the shop, with some parts lying on the deck, but that's all I could find out today.  The person I talked to didn't even know what parts or it they're for our truck.

As for the KW, I removed the commercial hitch.  Anyone need a nice Jost hitch?  All that empty frame is like a blank canvas.......  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Fixed my ABS today, took the brake drum of and found that the wheel sensor had moved away from the ring gear by about 3/8 of an inch.   Had to remove the brakes and the sensor mount to move the sensor back to the ring gear.  No more ABS light on.  👍 

2000 Volvo VNL 610

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE

I ordered a new steering wheel cover and new seat covers from Raynes. The seat covers are black quilted vinyl and armrest covers for 138.00 each and the steering wheel cover is the colors of the Italian flag. I wanted to represent my Italian heritage somewhere in my Semi.

Back to school tomorrow, spring break 2021, is officially over.

Later,

Cory O - Vegas Teacher. 

Last night after I wrote this I found my seat covers outside my door. They look really nice. Right about the time the seat covers were discovered my front load washer decided to empty all of the water it was using onto the floor of the utility room. I pulled out every towel I could find. So my entire living room, wet bar and downstairs bathroom that shares a wall with the laundry / utility room, are hardwood floors. We dried off everything we could then put about 10 fans of ours and borrowed from neighbors. We turned on exhaust fans, and ceiling fans. I got up this morning, it smells like rotting wood, the floor is pretty dry but where the seems between boards are is pretty bad looking. While great things are happening with the truck my house decides to fall apart. "When it rains, it pours." The D.W. decided she wants tile that looks like wood. Well I think that will bring all future projects on the Volvo to a halt for the near future.

Later,

Cory O - Vegas Teacher

I got my arm rest covers for my seats last night. I am looking forward to getting them put on my semi soon. I also have the clay bar treatment to try out, however I need to get a long throw, random orbital polisher. I am hoping to get rid of the oxidized paint off of the hood of my truck and maybe take out a scratch or two on my fairings.

Later,

Cory O

18 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

I got my arm rest covers for my seats last night. I am looking forward to getting them put on my semi soon. I also have the clay bar treatment to try out, however I need to get a long throw, random orbital polisher. I am hoping to get rid of the oxidized paint off of the hood of my truck and maybe take out a scratch or two on my fairings.

Later,

Cory O

We are going to need pictures when you get them seat covers on.

Last Saturday I started the truck, went and got the tanks filled up. The Aquahot storage tanks for the fifthwheel  ran out of diesel fuel over night.  I had mentioned the low tanks to the wife a week or so before.

So since the truck was as low I like to let it get.  It was time to fill up. Brought the truck home, and pumped the 55 gallon Aquahot tank almost full. Then tried the Aquahot after cycling it through shutdown cycles to fill the filter and lines. Turned it on and just sputtered a few times then it has been working since.

While the pump was filling the 55 gallon drum i started the 1974 Miller welder/ generator that is used for our generator. Lately it has had trouble starting while only running on 1 cylinder. So installed a new spark plug in the cylinder that was not firing. Starts right now. Let it warm and hooked it up to charge the truck batteries. So while it was working I adjusted the carb to run as it should.

Safe Travels and stay safe,   Vern in a T-shirt 

We have our Volvo in the shop.  When we got the new x/y, the mechanic mentioned the fluid had a little milky coloration, so keep an eye on it.  Yep, the cooler is leaking.  Local Mack dealer treats me well, so they got the job.  They ordered the cooler and lines, wrong cooler came in.  Correct parts should arrive today, so I hope to pick it up Friday.  Not much time to finish everything up to get to Happy Hour at Deer Run on Monday..... or Tuesday.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Got the Volvo back this morning.  New cooler, hose kit and fluid plus labor, $1,250.  Tomorrow, Sunday and Monday we'll be packing and double checking everything.  We might make most of Tuesday's Happy Hour.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

2 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

You got it, I will take before and after and let you know how they feel. I am also getting a steering wheel cover in the colors of the Italian flag.

I might need technical help posting pictures. I am going to put them on Sunday. I have my truck at the in laws house and I love them to death but sometimes I am just not in the mood. But I will get it done this weekend.

Oh I almost forgot I also bought solar charging motion sensor security lights I am mounting on plywood the adding neodymium magnets to to put on the outside of the truck when I am boondocking.

7 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

I might need technical help posting pictures. I am going to put them on Sunday. I have my truck at the in laws house and I love them to death but sometimes I am just not in the mood. But I will get it done this weekend.

Oh I almost forgot I also bought solar charging motion sensor security lights I am mounting on plywood the adding neodymium magnets to to put on the outside of the truck when I am boondocking.

To post pictures, go to the site recommended by Jack. http://photoposting.is-great.net/

After selecting your picture and converting it into a URL, strip off the [IMG] from the beginning and end. Then copy the remaining link and post that into the forum using the Other Media link. A little clumsy, but it works. Jay