Vehicle "Storage"

Used the words in the title to search and got a lot of info about Vehicle's but none about the topic I was looking for. Maybe should have put all in quotes, eh?

Anyway, reading the forum and insurance renewals I contacted the person suggested by a few in Florida. I have commented on that post how it's gone so far. 

I decided I needed to find the exact day I'd loose insurance if I chose to go with a new company and also to inquire why I'd had such a raise in premiums. I'd forgotten I am still paying insurance on Two Trucks. Out of sight out of mind I guess. 

I got a very pleasant person on the phone who was pretty helpful. I still hadn't received my actual bill, but now  know it will come in two days and I know the exact day in which I need to call with a CC number to do a renewal if I don't change policies. But what I found out also is something I wish I'd thought to ask MANY MANY years ago. 

Instead of not insuring completely the old Truck I decided to inquire on "Storage" insurance. Covers Comp and Theft. Then I had the wild idea of if I can put that truck in "Storage" Why not the other one too and only have full insurance during the time it's actually on the road and the agent said fine, just call us and let us know when it's in storage and when it's on the road. I think I remember my parents doing a similar thing "on the Farm" with grain hauling trucks that were used only once a year. Don't know why I'd never thought of it for my HDT that really only gets used  a couple times a year. (Or Did). With my Semi Retirement I may move around more often. 

Of course the agent couldn't tell me how much the premium would differ and maybe it wouldn't be worth it. Especially if one forgot to take a vehicle out of storage and got in an accident the one day it was driven. 

Anyone do such a thing? 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

When I am not using my MH I put it in "storage" as you call it.  Saves me over $60 a month.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

11 hours ago, lenp said:

When I am not using my MH I put it in "storage" as you call it.  Saves me over $60 a month.

Lenp

Thanks for the reply. I will still be living in my trailer, but it won't be on the road. How does that work with your Motorhome? I'd think if you were not living in it you would just be storing. Not sure is the same would apply to my situation as the truck and trailer are sort of a package as far as the current insurance policy. 

Things to think about and ask the agents of both. 

Thanks again, 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

If your living in it your going to need some degree of liability coverage (like a homeowner would have).  If someone was injured while in the RV you could be liable.  Not sure insurance companies have any options for like that for RVs but worth asking.  Lots of people living in permanently parked rigs out there.

In my case I still have  home and currently live in it.  MH parked and not in use only has comp/collision/theft coverage.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited