What did you do to your truck today?

jenandjon

Fixed an interior sleeper light. 

YYTrEUSl.jpg

The after. Didn't take a before, but it was hanging by just the wires. 

CoFbzDol.jpg

The Fix. All the screws broke the plastic around them and stayed where they had been placed. I found these electrical connectors that would hold the plastic in a different manner. Will check the left side if I happen to need to leave the light on for any length of time. The right side light has a shroud so I'm not worried about it much. 

zLAQFyOl.jpg

Shroud for the round bulb. Let's you aim the light a bit. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Cotreker said:

Who knows the trick to prime them fast?

Load the gun, pull the t-handle out and turn it until you find where it won't push back in.  While pushing the "T" against something solid, (your hip works) pump the gun.  This pushes the air out.  It's spurt a time or three, then work correctly.

I hate to think how many times I've loaded a grease gun.  Never had one of them fancy battery operated ones.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Put the Money Pit in his new home. building is done. Just waiting for the electrician. I strung a cord from another building to run the heater. This is the new home for the restored antique tractors kids toys and my personal vehicles. Its 70x30 drive through with an additional 30x30 tacked on. 

U917xNTl.jpg

f3ULIzrl.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

2 hours ago, jenandjon said:

Put the Money Pit in his new home. building is done. Just waiting for the electrician. I strung a cord from another building to run the heater. This is the new home for the restored antique tractors kids toys and my personal vehicles. Its 70x30 drive through with an additional 30x30 tacked on. 

U917xNTl.jpg

f3ULIzrl.jpg

Very nice. One day I'll get a nice building to fit all my toys. 

On 2/18/2023 at 7:38 PM, rickeieio said:

Load the gun, pull the t-handle out and turn it until you find where it won't push back in.  While pushing the "T" against something solid, (your hip works) pump the gun.  This pushes the air out.  It's spurt a time or three, then work correctly.

I hate to think how many times I've loaded a grease gun.  Never had one of them fancy battery operated ones.

I threw out that Grease gun and Amazon brought me a much better one.  Need to Grease the truck when my temps come back up.  Today 5 degrees, headed for Steamboat with sleds fresh snow.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

23 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Nice building, is that a drain grate in the floor?

Yes it is. I figured we can power wash outside then use a garden hose to hand wash inside. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Sparky242 said:

Installed 4 new drive tires and took her out for a ride.  Had 40 above today and the roads were dry so it was a good time to try out the new tires.

Depending on the tread, but some of them take several heat and cool down episodes to make them less "Squirrely" feeling. My first set of open shoulder drives were that way for several trips, many months apart. The latest set didn't seem bad from the start. 

Congrats on the new rubber. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Been working with local Sign Shop, decal type labeling for the Blue Beast.  License is on, getting a few odds and ends finished out where STILL trying to get the wife to pick a Trailer, NOT doing so well as she insists that we have to wait.  Had to have a Second Cataract surgery as Good eye became jealous of Bad one that got a lens some two years ago.  That one erupted full on in six months.  Eye doc is not good at retaining bad news, let me know have between 10-15 years will be losing sight where may no longer be able to even drive.  Hope to have signage on in a week.

I did a few small things to the truck this week.  I have a spot light above the driver door that quit working a while back.  I pulled it apart and found a spring clip that was dead shorting inside the handle.  Fixed this and replaced the fuse and lo and behold the light started working again.  

The lights in my jockey boxes had also quit working.  Turned out both lights were burnt out.  Rather than replace the funky incandescent bulbs, I replaced the whole assembly with some extra LED puck lights I had from my old 5th wheel.  

Finally, I have been fighting a slight water leak in the cab for years.  I finally got ambitious and removed all the upper cabinets and trim.  It was raining, so I drove the truck out of the shop into the rain and waited for the leak to show itself.  It turned out my windshield was leaking at the top in front of the passenger seat.  It was a bit irritating as I just had the windshield replaced in January.  I had hoped that would solve my leak problem as well as get rid of a couple rock chips I had acquired over the years.  It fixed the rock chip issues, but obviously not the leak (although I think the leak used to be over the driver side of the windshield so maybe it did fix my original leak 😉).  I used some silicone to seal up the leaky area and let it set up.  I then left the truck sitting out in a heavy rain over night and didn’t have a drop of water inside the next day, so that was a nice change.  It took a lot longer to disassemble and reassemble the cabinetry than it did to find and fix the leak though.  

I had hoped to also install my new Direclink brake controller.  My old Maxbrake controller display died while we were in Quartzsite (but the controller continued to function).  Unfortunately that didn’t happen.  I ordered the controller over the phone direct from Tuson RV.  I gave them the year, make and model of my truck, but they still sent me the wrong HD module.  They sent me the 9 pin connector and my old truck has the 6 pin connector.  I sent the 9 pin off today to get replaced with a 6 pin, so that project will have to wait.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Yesterday sign shop called, I am now legal for use, are making the PRIVATE CONVEYANCE and NOT FOR HIRE Currently which should be ready today.  These I got in place.  Kept Weight classification so May use as a real truck.  In MO cannot license RV unless change title to RV where then cannot be used for anything BUT RV.  Weight tag above 24,000 requires the labeling as see.  VIN is a Federal Requirement for heavier weight licensed.  Installed myself, used to do that at various shops as a Mechanic.

IMG_0903a.jpg

Edited by ddm502001

DDM, look'n good.  It would be soooo nice if the states were consistent in their requirements.  As I understand, only a few states have any requirement of labeling.  Personally, I prefer zero labeling, and our home state is okay with that.

My truck task for the day was to make the windshield washer pump work.  I planned to take it apart and see what's inside, but it's riveted together.  We're traveling, with limited resources to put it back together. So, instead I just beat on it.  Works now.  Farmer fix't.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

38 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

with limited resources to put it back together. So, instead I just beat on it.  Works now.

Don't force it, just get a bigger hammer.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

17 hours ago, rickeieio said:

DDM, look'n good.  It would be soooo nice if the states were consistent in their requirements.  As I understand, only a few states have any requirement of labeling.  Personally, I prefer zero labeling, and our home state is okay with that.

My truck task for the day was to make the windshield washer pump work.  I planned to take it apart and see what's inside, but it's riveted together.  We're traveling, with limited resources to put it back together. So, instead I just beat on it.  Works now.  Farmer fix't.

Calibrated Mekanik hammers are HIGH dollar!!  BTW Thanks

Edited by ddm502001

A ship engine failed, no one could fix it.

Then they brought in a man with 40 yrs. on the job.

He inspected the engine carefully, top to bottom. After looking things over, the guy reached into his bag and pulled out a small hammer. He gently tapped something.

Instantly, the engine lurched into life. The engine was fixed!

7 Days later the owners got his bill for 10k.

'What?!' the owners said 'You hardly did anything. Send us an itemized bill. ” the reply simply said

Tapping with a hammer- $2

Knowing where to tap- $9,998

Marcel

Not my HDT. One of the farm trucks. 93 Kenworth T-800 high hood with 3406 Cat. Replace broken motor mounts. Wasn't as bad a job as I thought. Some jacking and lifting and wiggling. 

J28d2Mzl.jpg

M42Ja6Yl.jpg

8c2TLLml.jpg

Dropped off at dealership.   Was headed there to get some new seats, few miles from there truck lost power and started running rough.  Towed the last few miles in. 

Lots of injector and ecu codes on the display.

Diagnostics will get run Tuesday and we'll see what they find.

2017 Jayco Designer 37rs "Fiona"

2007 Volvo 670 "Henry"

On 3/23/2023 at 4:00 AM, jenandjon said:

Not my HDT. One of the farm trucks. 93 Kenworth T-800 high hood with 3406 Cat. Replace broken motor mounts. Wasn't as bad a job as I thought. Some jacking and lifting and wiggling. 

J28d2Mzl.jpg

M42Ja6Yl.jpg

8c2TLLml.jpg

Ah, the best helper I ever hired was a FORKLIFT.  Seldom complains and almost always gets the job done.  Thank you Forklift!

Marcel