What did you do to your truck today?

jenandjon

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought the license for Insite a couple weeks ago. I have updated my ECM and ran all the available tests for my engine. I have also changed the max speed from 68 to 72. Now I can actually pass some vehicles. RPM change was only 50. It went from 68@1550 to 72@1600, the very top of my green arc. 

I figured the license was worth the cost because a shop probably would have charged me a lot for all I've done with Insite so far. 

Next up, who knows, but guaranteed it will be something. Hahaha.

I would suggest you up the speed to at least 75 so you have some headroom in passing.     I have no speed limit set and regularly see 75+ when passing.     It makes passing better for all that you don't linger.   

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

2 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

I would suggest you up the speed to at least 75 so you have some headroom in passing.     I have no speed limit set and regularly see 75+ when passing.     It makes passing better for all that you don't linger.   

Steve

Wise words.  I'm limited to 75, and while it's not often a problem, once in a while it would make for a safer pass.  Unfortunately, I haven't found a shop who will raise my limit.  KW won't do it because my tires are only rated for 75 with a full commercial load.  To them, all trucks are commercial....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

There's a guy, 

In Effingham, Il.

4 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Wise words.  I'm limited to 75, and while it's not often a problem, once in a while it would make for a safer pass.  Unfortunately, I haven't found a shop who will raise my limit.  KW won't do it because my tires are only rated for 75 with a full commercial load.  To them, all trucks are commercial....

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Rick, My KW came straight from Kenworth with no limit. Well, I think the gearing limits mine to 102 mph but they should be able to change that for you. If not by a dealer, an independent shop should have the right software to up your limit.

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

18 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Steve

I think I will. Thanks. It was very annoying when it was limited to 68. No way to pass so when someone was going 65 or so I was stuck. 

15 hours ago, rickeieio said:

What kind of engine do you have? I have Cummins and I bought a Insite Pro software license. It is super easy to change any of the listed parameters.

I have a PACCAR engine.  I've asked several independent shops, but so far, none have been able to change any engine parameter, even though they said they could.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

The dealer set all our trucks to 99. But they are all Cummins. They top out on RPMs before that anyway. My new 880 KW stops at 86.  My freightliner has no limit as far as I have been able to reach. I chickened out around 95. It was kind of like when you were a teenager, and you got a $200 car and you wanted to see how fast it would go. Then it started making noises you never heard before. Yea it was like that. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Another way to increase your top speed is to go with taller tires on the drive axle. Mine had LP24.5 when I got it and I went with the 11R24.5 when I replaced them gained  about 2 inches in height. Could probably look up the circumference. 

I've never hit top speed in my Volvo motor and have never had any trouble passing as long as I don't have to slow down a lot before the pass. The "Autoshift" from 9th to 10th gear takes forever and loses all the turbo boost so it has to build up again. If I can stay in 10th I'm good. 

My cruise speed on the Interstate is 68 to 72 and stays right there between 1450 and 1550 rpm. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

My old Class 8 C15 is limited to 2100rpm, no electronic cutout in high gear as newer equipment does.  As road tested at 65mph was coasting along at 1550rpm 70mph just under 1700, best consideration 5mph for each ~150rpm so at max tach would be 81-83mph.  Have no need of speed, just ability to pass and to tow in effective torque rpm so I am good at 70-72 as to cruise control.  Should manage economy better at that point too.

Dave

On 1/27/2023 at 8:00 PM, rickeieio said:

I have a PACCAR engine.  I've asked several independent shops, but so far, none have been able to change any engine parameter, even though they said they could.

Surely there is a software program for the PACCAR engine just as there is for the Cummins. If so, it would be worth it to do as I did and buy the license and do all the tests available. You can download the Cummins Insite for free, just have to buy the license which is good for one year.

On 1/26/2023 at 4:39 PM, Steve from SoCal said:

Steve

I got back on the computer today and changed the limit to 85. I figured that is good. Plus I wasn't sure if changing it to all zeros would remove any limit or not. So, I took the safe bet.

2 hours ago, Rotorhead said:

Surely there is a software program for the PACCAR engine just as there is for the Cummins. If so, it would be worth it to do as I did and buy the license and do all the tests available. You can download the Cummins Insite for free, just have to buy the license which is good for one year.

$3,095 for the first year, then $1,795 annual renewal.  Plus any cables/connectors needed.  I think a trip to a KW dealer is the lesser of evils.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

So, the issue, for me, is to find the ones who will raise my speed limit.  As mentioned above, there are some known to exist.  Getting there and having it done is a bit more difficult.  Plus, my gearing will only net about 82-85 tops, assuming any type of hill.  This motor has a torque curve that falls off a cliff at about 1,700.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Most HD Diesels even with a top end around 2000rpm will not develop decent torque until 1850 or less RPM, are using fuel and making HP where rolling mass in engine is developing work but until gets into torque curve region as set by fuel delivery parameters will they make peak torque.  With that in mind on flatland with no heavy head or severe side wind can attain decent economy even on upper rpm above torque region as just floating.

And even as Cummins built the PACCAR Engines, they tend to run and hide for service work, get that from a number of people running them.

Edited by ddm502001

1 hour ago, ddm502001 said:

Most HD Diesels even with a top end around 2000rpm will not develop decent torque until 1850 or less RPM, are using fuel and making HP where rolling mass in engine is developing work but until gets into torque curve region as set by fuel delivery parameters will they make peak torque.  With that in mind on flatland with no heavy head or severe side wind can attain decent economy even on upper rpm above torque region as just floating.

And even as Cummins built the PACCAR Engines, they tend to run and hide for service work, get that from a number of people running them.

The Cummins engines in the old London buses would run for multiple millions of miles but were redlined at 1000 RPM.  When I rode one in Victoria and the driver would be constantly shifting as soon as the engine got barely above idle.

Edited by Lou Schneider

The PACCAR motors may be built by Cummins, but PACCAR holds all licensing.  Cummins technician can't access the software.

I'm well aware of the hp v. torque characteristics of large diesels.  Been owning/working on them since the 1960's.  The newer engines are often "tuned" to make great torque at relatively low rpm.  Ours will out pull our old ISX 500 from 800-1,500, but then be looking for the next gear.   The ISX didn't even wake up until 1.400.

I was skeptical of the PACCAR at first.  Now, there's no going back.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Thunderstruck update:  I've been collecting bits and pieces that still need to be repaired or replaced.  I now have all of the little "chicken light" LEDs on the bed that need replacement.  Once the weather gets above 0º F again here, I'll start working on this stuff.  I still need to replace the inverter and troubleshoot the Boogey Light systems.

But, we're getting closer...

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

• 3 weeks later...

Small amount of important preventative work.  Greased the clutch bearing on my 10 speed.  Used some nice hi temp synthetic Amsoil Grease.  Took longer to prime my Grease gun than to do the job.

Who knows the trick to prime them fast?

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here