What did you do to your truck today?

jenandjon

On 9/3/2023 at 9:03 PM, rickeieio said:

That's what led me to put the slippery stuff on the trailer side.  I could fasten it easier.  Got it done today.  It doesn't show well in oictures because it's black, same as the hitch.

I formed the plastic to the "shoe" of the hitch, then drilled holes to match the shoe mounts.  If I were doing it again, I'd trim around the bolts and use smaller screw to fasten the plastic to the vertical surfaces.

I doubt you'll find a source for uhmw-sts.  It's not sold in small quantities, but rather used for industrial applications, like conveyors and material handling.  I just got luck, walking into the office cold, and met the president.  He gave me a piece of scrap to try.  Funny side bar, he banks with our daughter, just up the road from his plant.

Did you heat up the UHMW to form it or just apply pressure?

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used a heat gun.  Clamped the sheet to the flat area, applied heat to where I wanted the bend.  When it got soft, I used more clamps and a narrow piece of wood to secure it.

I've learned that to bend some plastics, you need to go slow.  Plastic is a good insulator, so it takes time for the heat to soak through.  Likewise for the cooling.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

19 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I used a heat gun.  Clamped the sheet to the flat area, applied heat to where I wanted the bend.  When it got soft, I used more clamps and a narrow piece of wood to secure it.

I've learned that to bend some plastics, you need to go slow.  Plastic is a good insulator, so it takes time for the heat to soak through.  Likewise for the cooling.  

Thanks for the tip. That is what I had in mind. Some pics of yours would be great!

I can't seem to load pics.  I got a new laptop with Windows 11. and it wants me to put my pics on the cloud, rather than just download them into the memory.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Got to this address.  Follow instructions.  Copy link.  Paste in "Other Media" button at the bottom right at the "Insert image from URL".  The delete all stuff before the https and after the .jpg.

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=1

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Chet, the issue isn't posting to the forum.  I can't get the pics from my phone to my laptop.

I had no problems with my old computer.  I up loaded hundreds of pics during my bed build, and posted them here quite easily.  But I am growing to dis-like Windows more and more with each "improvement".  W-11 really sucks.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Rick,

If you want to save to hard drive instead of onedrive. Find the onedrive icon by the clock and right click and setting tell it  to not load on startup and then close and reboot.

Ken....

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

12 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Chet, the issue isn't posting to the forum.  I can't get the pics from my phone to my laptop.

I had no problems with my old computer.  I up loaded hundreds of pics during my bed build, and posted them here quite easily.  But I am growing to dis-like Windows more and more with each "improvement".  W-11 really sucks.

That's for sure, but I don't yet want to go with the other one as it's trying to copy Windows stuff or so it seems. I would like to be back with Windows 95 I kept it as long as I could. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Now for something new.

Got my fridge mounted in the new (to me) truck. Tried staying on top of the rails since it was such a pain trying to pull it out of the old truck, but no go. Too tall. Got the tube of dielectric grease and that's all it took. Maybe I'll never have to remove it again. 

Also found the fuse I accidently removed for the bunk HVAC fan. It now works. Trying to be all ready to leave for the National Rally just after the 1st of October. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody else working on any thing? 

I moved my tool boxes out of the shop and into the "DromBox" today. Getting closer to actually loading the motorcycle for the trip to Kansas and then Oklahoma. Noticed on set of the drive tires seems to be a bit low. Will have to check the Cross Fires to see where it's leaking. I did the soapy water check when I installed them, but maybe I missed something.  It's turned very nice in SE Iowa finally and hardly worked up a sweat today, except when I rode the motorcycle to the Pioneer Farm Celebration for lunch. ATGATT sometimes gets warm. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

12 hours ago, lappir said:

Nobody else working on any thing? 

I moved my tool boxes out of the shop and into the "DromBox" today. Getting closer to actually loading the motorcycle for the trip to Kansas and then Oklahoma. Noticed on set of the drive tires seems to be a bit low. Will have to check the Cross Fires to see where it's leaking. I did the soapy water check when I installed them, but maybe I missed something.  It's turned very nice in SE Iowa finally and hardly worked up a sweat today, except when I rode the motorcycle to the Pioneer Farm Celebration for lunch. ATGATT sometimes gets warm. 

Rod

I have been too busy with Boy Scouts and working on the bus to do anything. I really need to get the truck out and go for a drive before winter hits. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

3 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Heat rash is better than road rash.

For sure. 

RL

2007 Honda GL 1800

I have a Detroit series 60 . Seems like suddenly I have white smoke at start up for a few moments and today slight for 4 miles. Does not get hot and runs great. has anyone had experienced this before ?  I was thinking of going into dealer and do a complete checkup on  truck. I was told it's about 300.00 to check it out

2 hours ago, JGWALES said:

I have a Detroit series 60 . Seems like suddenly I have white smoke at start up for a few moments and today slight for 4 miles. Does not get hot and runs great. has anyone had experienced this before ?  I was thinking of going into dealer and do a complete checkup on  truck. I was told it's about 300.00 to check it out

Water is getting into the cylinders is my guess. Check the radiator to make sure it's still full and doesn't have an oily film. Depending on your use of the vehicle it may stay the same for a while or get worse quite suddenly. The worst part is if it's leaking into the cylinder after shut down, then what ever it touches will start to rust and that's not a good thing. 

Not an expert, but have been around the block for a few years. 

2007 Honda GL 1800

Do a search on the web on "white smoke on diesel startup".  I have found that white smoke comes from unburned diesel.  Could be an injector problem.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

White smoke is cold engine/unburned fuel. Been a problem with pre-emissions engine since forever. If it lasts any distance down the road, it's time to look at the injectors.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

On 9/5/2023 at 5:52 AM, rickeieio said:

I got a piece of this. I don't know if it is the right type, but I'm gonna try it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/324868029288

We have a 90 Kenworth on the farm with 3206 Cat that does that. It's been doing it for years. It clears up after a minute or so in the summer. In The winter I smokes until it warms up. White smoke. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Replaced the Bendix R12 valve on the braking system. Had put a kit in the old valve about 5 years ago, but it was starting to act up again. The receipt for the new one reminded me why the kit went in last time. The new one is a multi-fit universal replacement, which means it doesn't fit anything properly. Ports are oriented differently, ports are different sizes than the old valve, etc. Most of it worked out, after raiding the farm air fitting cabinet, but one 45* fitting needs to be swapped for a 90* tomorrow. Get dirty again.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Tore off the right rear fender. 

Backing out of a spot that I had no issue pulling in to, but apparently the mud flap caught under the tire and instead of giving up it hung on tight till the fender supports broke. Pulled ahead after hearing a "thump" and saw a hump on the driveway. Got out and found the fender sitting there. Just replaced them a couple years ago and thought about leaving them on the Gold truck and getting new ones. Don't know if I'm glad I didn't or not. Hopefully I can find the brackets but it's not looking very good today. All I see are just plain fenders. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

When we bought our KW, there were several settings in the computer that I wanted changed.  The dealer wouldn't raise the speed limit, because the tires were only rated for 75 mph with a full load.  Duh, when will we ever have that kind of load?  Also, the exhaust brake doesn't function until you tap the service brake, and the brake lights don't come on with the Jake brake.  They wanted too much $$$$ to change the other settings, so I've been on the hunt for someone who could do it.

After much searching and frustration, I stumbled upon a shop not two miles from us who claims they can do it.  I know they work on a friend's trucks, similar to ours, so perhaps he's correct.  I should know later today.....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN