What did you do to your truck today?

jenandjon

Big thanks to jim & wilma for the heads up about keeping an eye on the radiator overflow tank.  Yep, it sure started weeping and losing coolant.  Just changed it today, another maintenance item completed and learned more about these trucks.

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/25/2023 at 5:56 PM, rollinbrian said:

Dropped off at dealership.   Was headed there to get some new seats, few miles from there truck lost power and started running rough.  Towed the last few miles in. 

Lots of injector and ecu codes on the display.

Diagnostics will get run Tuesday and we'll see what they find.

Looks like we're getting some new spark plugs.  Not cheap but if they last another 500,000 miles I can live with that.

Getting some Silver Legacy seats too.

2017 Jayco Designer 37rs "Fiona"

2007 Volvo 670 "Henry"

1 hour ago, rollinbrian said:

Looks like we're getting some new spark plugs.  Not cheap but if they last another 500,000 miles I can live with that.

Getting some Silver Legacy seats too.

Howdy Brian,

What engine do you have that requires spark plugs?  I am "ASSUMING" your not talking about your Volvo.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Brian,

What engine do you have that requires spark plugs?  I am "ASSUMING" your not talking about your Volvo.

Dave

Sorry, old log truck driver joke.

Yes, new injectors for the D12 in my Volvo.

2017 Jayco Designer 37rs "Fiona"

2007 Volvo 670 "Henry"

Added the old folding step from our fifth wheel.  Asked a friend to weld scrap angles and weld the steps to the angles.  I’ve been thinking about this for almost a year.  Finally got the ambition, the step cut off, the scrap, and the welder all in the same place at the same time.  It makes a world of difference getting in and out of the drom box.

Many folks ask if the drom is an old sleeper, and I would say no, just a big storage box with a door latch similar to a semi trailer door.

Also pictured is the new left rear fender I mounted to replace the homemade fenders it used to have.  These were mounted last May at Black Mountain Resort in Hill City, SD.2rUEK16l.jpg%20%22border=0%22

Edited by Sculptor

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Look'n good Kevin.  But I have to ask about that milk crate between the cab and the box.  Is there a forward facing door in the box to access that area?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I had an issue with a stripped out weld-nut that holds the driver side door stop arm.  You know, that plastic thingy that glides along when you open the door and has a detent to hold the door in place.  The bolt was fine, but the part welded in the door jamb was toast.  I've had a Heli-Coil set for over 20 years, but had never used it.  Watched a you-tube video, and now I'm a Heli-Coil expert.  Well. perhaps not, but it worked.  Door now opens and closes smoothly.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

On 4/4/2023 at 7:03 PM, rickeieio said:

Look'n good Kevin.  But I have to ask about that milk crate between the cab and the box.  Is there a forward facing door in the box to access that area?

I was sure I answered this Rick. I had my usual long explanation and thought I posted it.  No other door, just what you see. 
I planned a space just big enough for the gas cans but afterward the extra space mysteriously disappeared.  Now I look to see if anyone is watching before I hook it with a broom pole to get it out. 

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Continuing to work on replacing LEDs from the lightning strike...

Remounted my Jackalopee and added another terminal block to allow for connecting the new set of "safety lights" on the back of the cab and drom box.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Larry, did you mount your terminal block in another weather proof box, or is it inside the truck?  Reason I ask, is that our Jackalopee box is getting a bit "busy", and I'm thinking of mounting a sub-box along side.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

I drove to 100 miles round trip to the nearest Walmart to get Easter groceries. Truck has been sitting all winter, it was time for a drive. We are not going on any long trips this year because I am taking the Boy scouts to the black hills in June. With that and our regular week of Scout camp in July I can't get away anymore.  I have a feeling there will be lots of Walmart trips with the truck this summer just to keep it in running order. 

So, just because I have to be different, I bought a school bus. I was having a hard time getting parents to help me transport kids to the farther away campouts and since we decided we want to go on a troop trip somewhere in the country every other year I figured a bus was the answer. She doesn't have a name yet. I got insurance without doing the RV conversion. We will see what happens when I go to the DMV Monday. 

It is a 99 freightliner with the 12 valve Cummins and Allison transmission. 170,000 miles. Real clean. I bought it from another farmer who used it to deliver lunch to the field and he let the church group use it once a year. Drove it 300 miles home with no problems. I will be posting about this int he schoolie section of this forum once I start doing modifications. Adding a hitch and brake controller, New stereo, a few other things. I have 2 ac units form old campers I would like to put on the roof but then I need a generator mounted somewhere. As if I don't have enough things to do already. 

AJAkKTzl.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Jon, you da man!!!  I would guess you have a cdl, but do you have passenger endorsement?  You need it to drive a vehicle that's originally built to haul 15 passengers or more, no matter if seats have taken out to haul less peeps.  That said, you might fall under personal use.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

We will set up a base camp in Custer and explore the area. Mt Rushmore, crazy horse, and Custer state park. Plan a whole day at Devils tower. It's  4 hour round trip from Custer. 

I am falling under personal as far as insurance is considered. I am getting plates today. We will see what the DMV has to say about it. The last owner had farm plates. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I've been spending countless hours scraping off 3M two sided tape that held on LED strips.  The best results are a rubber eraser wheel, then 3M 8489 adhesive remover solvent soaked towel, then scrape some more, then repeat...

The Jackalopee thread also inspired me to remount mine a little better in the driver side Jockey box.  This will also allow for a second bus-bar for the additional tail light outputs for the remodeled "safety lights" on the drom and rear farings.

Photos to come later...

I will have to abandon this project for a little while for another major project, that's been a long time coming, that takes priority.  I'll be pouring a concrete pad, 42 x 85', in a few weeks, in my pole barn where the truck and trailer live.  It will be so nice, not to have to try to work on gravel any more...

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

6 hours ago, rollinbrian said:

A new pair of Legacy Silver seats going in today.  Surprised at how excited I am to have a pair of working arm rests.

We love our Seats Inc seats!

to3SxTo.jpg

Edited by Av8r3400

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Replaced the 2 O rings in bunk heater.  Hopefully no more smell of antifreeze in the truck.  Bought the $4.00 O rings few months ago.  Long overdue old ones were pretty flattened out.  Now to top off the antifreeze, what are Volvo trucks using?

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

Drove all day yesterday from Stonewall to Ft. Worth to buy the left hand fuel tank straps. None were closer.  I’m still scratching my head how to get the front tank straps replaced.  Access is very tight.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Lots going on for me these days.

1. Several years of saving and lobbying she-who-controls-the-budget, I finally have concrete in the barn where the trailer and truck live!

i9XIKcE.jpg

2. While the concrete is curing (30 days before I can put the truck and trailer in there) so I'm still chipping away at making all the lights on the truck work.  This is a dandy little turn signal, running, brake and reverse light that RVH's Jack Mayer turned me onto, so we have a bit of an upgrade along with all the repairs.  There are still many more Boogey Light strips to mount and wire, but we're on the way...
    AVrE9ct.mp4

3. The final item is a little work on myself.  I had a little minor surgery to remove a bit of skin cancer on my nose during this whole time too.  (Everything went fine and I'm good)  I definitely won't add a photo of that...

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

2 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

The final item is a little work on myself.  I had a little minor surgery to remove a bit of skin cancer on my nose during this whole time too.  (Everything went fine and I'm good)  I definitely won't add a photo of that...

My Dave had that done recently, too. It's not beautiful but worth doing. I'm glad you got yours taken care of.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 5/12/2023 at 6:59 AM, Sculptor said:

Drove all day yesterday from Stonewall to Ft. Worth to buy the left hand fuel tank straps. None were closer.  I’m still scratching my head how to get the front tank straps replaced.  Access is very tight.

By removing the side fairing and cab fairing, access was much better.  The top tank strap Allen bolts have blue lock tite on them, and a torch was the only way to loosen it on the front.  Must have gotten lucky on the rear?  Anyway, both straps are replaced on the right tank and fairings are back in place.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Covering up rock chips and adding a little bling. Working on the bumper now and debating about the fuel filter. The plastic piece under the bumper is apparently no longer available. I can use it, but I need to paint it. Whatever they painted it with ain't wanting to some off. I was thinking of re-painting it black so the rock chips wouldn't be so obvious. Leaving it off is not an option. It reveals too much of the cooling parts and doesn't look good.

IMG_2393 small.jpg

SIZED SMALL.jpeg

s-l1600 SIZED.jpeg