Traveling with marijuana/edibles

Cheech & Chong

First thing is, do not do anything to give a reason to be stopped/pulled over. A drug test will detect MJ in your system for up to a month after you consume some. If you happen to be in a state where it's illegal, or you are above the minimum threshold__well.

well___.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Don't even worry about it. I've toted smoke all over this country. The cops are not too interested in old Rvers holding a few smokes or edibles, regardless of Federal law which is only there in  remembrance of Harry Anslinger.

Just don't drive loaded.

Edited by hemsteadc

Busting Willie Nelson for having a joint in Texas.....is like busting Santa Claus for breaking and entering in the rest of the US.

Not my quote...but a good one!!!!

Notice...it was the FEDS that busted Willie Nelson at one of the inland border control points.  Probably a "urban" hire by the Border Patrol that had no clue who WIllie Nelson was.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

• 3 weeks later...

No actually, after the K9 alerted, they pulled the tourbus into 'secondary', and a few agents boarded the bus...several of Willies bandmates were on board also...along with Willie sitting further back. The agent smelled the odor, and saw a joint in an ash tray near someone else, not Willie. The agent picked it up, asked who it belonged to, and Willie stood up, raised his hand, and said, "that one is mine'...all of them are mine' (or words to that effect)...

Obviously he took the 'fall'...not wanting his friends and bandmates in jail for who knows what...they cuffed him, took him to Culberson County jail there in Van Horn, and he posted bail and was out in a few hours....

I'm sure his lawyers got him out of that one by paying a fine...presumably. 

Nothing to see here. 

Wasn't he busted another time sitting on the side of the road in his Mercedes. I forget when but I am thinking Mclennan County. 

I don't know any outcomes and as much as I like Willie there should have been equal treatment as  anyone else.

Things to know about marijuana and interstate RV travel.  While tolerance of marijuana use is growing, it can still have serious consequences, particularly for travelers.

In some states possession is a felony.  In some states if it is found in your vehicle your vehicle can be forfeit.  Sometimes the difference between felony trafficking and felony/misdemeanor possession is amount.  That amount varies from state to state.

In some others it is a misdemeanor. In some it is legal.  This is a matter of state law.  Under federal law possession is illegal everywhere.  This can be a serious problem if you are in a national park or other federal lands.  

MJ DUI laws vary from state to state, too.  In some states the presence of any THC in your blood or urine is presumptive DUI.  In others the DUI level is based upon the concentration of THC in the blood or urine; a common threshold is 5 ng/ml of whole blood.  In other states is is an issue of impairment related to THC.  Most states rely to some extent on NHTSA Drug Recognition Evaluation which has been deemed to be voodoo science in some places.  If you are driving a multi-ton vehicle and convicted of DUI expect jail.

If you are charged in any court having to come back to that state to appear in court can be a major issue for travelers.

For a good summary of the marijuana laws in the US see NORMAL's website:

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

• 2 months later...

I'm concerned that this forum is being hacked.  We've had two purportedly new members with invalid

SKP numbers and off inane wall posts.  The latest is above with a SKP number of 22.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually

Jinx and Wayne

7 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

I'm concerned that this forum is being hacked.  We've had two purportedly new members with invalid

SKP numbers and off inane wall posts.  The latest is above with a SKP number of 22.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually

That happens often on weekends and holidays when people think administrators will be too busy to notice. Fortunately, the weekend moderators are good at catching them. The attacks aren't really hacks, just attempts to find out if they can get away with posting spam here. They can't.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

as a commercial truck driver living under fed law. pot is and will remain to be a class one controlled drug till it comes off the drug testing list.  as if someone smoked it and i accidentally got there smoke in me i can lose everything.

as my job has a NO reason policy, even just a booze test of a trace and i get fired with cause. (trace can be a mouthful of mouthwash that is spit out).

loose my job, forget about getting another driving job and I can lose my class A also. thus will lose my home truck, and forced to go bankrupt.

so if you must do this drug. please do it down wind of me. as it really does give me a headache.

but as others here have said, cross a state line, heck maybe just a county line and trouble comes. as you are not rich or famous. so the da will not go easy on you.

"What should we be aware of"  Jail

Rick

US Army 5th SFG (Retired)

"To Liberate the Oppressed"

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, no money left, a cigar in one hand, a whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a helluva ride!!"

On 9/8/2020 at 1:00 PM, kittyklawz said:

It is technically illegal to cross all state lines with it, so don't get caught lol

Yup. That’s why where it is legal, the dispensaries grow, make, package and sell all in the same state. They can not cross state lines either.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Even though a person would have to be pretty reckless to get caught with personal use quantities of edibles we decided that using CBD was a better bet for us. Been doing the CBD oil thing the last 3 years I guess and even though net getting the high if thats what you are after we are getting the benefit's health wise we feel for our particular needs.  

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

Does CBD show up as MJ in drug testing for fishing expeditions and fines? It can. So be aware: https://www.healthline.com/health/does-cbd-show-up-on-a-drug-test

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

In over 30 years of RVing, I've been pulled over exactly once.  It was by an unmarked car on an Interstate just east of St. Louis about 5 years ago on my way to the Sedalia Escapade.  When the uniformed officer approached the driver's window he asked for my license and registration, which I gave him, and said "I think you know why I pulled you over".  I replied I really didn't, at which point he walked away.  The only thing I could think of was wind gusts were blowing the motorhome back and forth in the lane and he thought I was driving under the influence.

When he returned he asked me to stand outside the RV, then he asked about twenty different ways if I had any pot or other drugs in the vehicle, "not even a little?".  I answered no each time because I don't use, but he was obviously fishing for cause to do a search and seizure.  Then he did a walkaround with a drug sniffing dog and asked if he and the dog could enter the RV to continue the search.  I declined.  He didn't cite me for anything but the ordeal only ended when his supervisor and another officer in an unmarked car arrived about 20 minutes later.  After they discussed the situation I was told I was free to go.  Maybe it was because I was alone in an older motorhome with CA license plates and fit some profile, who knows? 

Edited by Lou Schneider