BACK SURGERY SCHEDULED

RandyA

For those at the 2019 ECR you may remember that I was hopped up on steroids and pain killers for sciatic nerve pain in my legs from a ruptured disc pinching a nerve so that I could do my presentations.  Well, the steroids are no longer helping and the pain killers are not strong enough to get rid of the discomfort.  Truthfully, I am miserable and totally bored not being able to walk without pain, lift or work/play with anything I consider important.  Pain currently oscillates between a 7 and 9.  Both the camper and truck are just sitting and not getting any summer use.  Back surgery is now scheduled for early July.  Once the surgery is over it will be six weeks in a brace with no bending, twisting or lifting.  I am sure I will go completely crazy during that time.  I'm not positive what caused the ruptured disc but I will bet two dollars to a doughnut that it had something to do with working on the Volvo.  I did a lot of heavy lifting singling, moving tires and wheels and building the bed.  I can't think of anything else that would have caused the disc to rupture.  I know several of you reading this have been down the same road with your back.  Please, be careful about what and how you lift.  It really doesn't take much to rupture a disc - especially if you are a member of the "Over-The-Hill" gang.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Sorry to hear that Randy.I went a full year without being able to walk by myself. Scatic nerve damage from disc. I was in my fortys and can't amagine going thru that at our ages.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

This will be a good time to re-index all of those "how to" VHS ship-in-a-bottle tapes, maybe alphabetize the Myron Floren (sic)  / accordion 8 track tapes (and aone and atwo). I can't see how you would get bored with all that in front of you.

Let Paula & I know if you need help with anything.

Paul.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

We could tell you were in misery at the ECR.  We hope it goes well.

Our son-in-law had a disk-ect-omy (sp?) last week.  He walked out of the hospital just a couple of hours later.  After years of high power pain meds, he's now neary pain free.  The wonders of modern medicine.........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Hi Randy,

I wish you the best my friend. I hope everything goes go for you. I can still remember the first time my back acted up. I was 38 years old. I couldn't even lift up my leg. All I could do was drag my leg. Enough about me. I know back surgery keeps changing. I hope they get you fixed up. Is the plan to fuse the vertebra together where the problem is ? I wish you the best and have you in my prays. I hope to see you next year in Tenn.

Talk to you later,
Al

PS; Please keep us updated 

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Randy,

Best of luck with the surgery my friend.  Will keep you in our prayers.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Randy mine was buldging due to heavy lifting and serve curvature of spine. I have adjusted my curvature over the years and working smarter. No pain in decades now. Doctors wanted to operate and I refused it. But I was much younger also. I do believe with modern advances in back surgery you will be fine. I am praying for you. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Howdy Randy,

Get well soon, best of luck to you with the surgery.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Good Luck and you will feel better!  I lived on Dilaudid and Prednisone for about 8 weeks before my back surgery in 2009.  I too had crushed my Sciatic nerve to my right leg.  Couple of screws and other hardware installed, (no bone graft) took it easy for about 6 days and then relearned how to walk with my right leg.  Took about 6 weeks to come out of the brace, get my normal walking gait back, and almost return to normal.  Do what the docs say or you get scheduled for the discs above or below to get worked on.....

It was hard NOT doing..... After 2 weeks at home I went to work and had the crew make a temp desk out in the shop and moved my chair out there.  At least that way I could hobble around and tell people how to do their job correctly even if I couldn't demonstrate it.  Wife still yells at me for doing that....😒

10 years later and that particular repair has held up well.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Best of luck with the surgery, Randy.  You looked like the pain was terrible.  

Prayers to you that is s successful and the recovery is quick!

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

On 6/24/2019 at 9:56 PM, RandyA said:

For those at the 2019 ECR you may remember that I was hopped up on steroids and pain killers for sciatic nerve pain in my legs from a ruptured disc pinching a nerve so that I could do my presentations.  Well, the steroids are no longer helping and the pain killers are not strong enough to get rid of the discomfort.  Truthfully, I am miserable and totally bored not being able to walk without pain, lift or work/play with anything I consider important.  Pain currently oscillates between a 7 and 9.  Both the camper and truck are just sitting and not getting any summer use.  Back surgery is now scheduled for early July.  Once the surgery is over it will be six weeks in a brace with no bending, twisting or lifting.  I am sure I will go completely crazy during that time.  I'm not positive what caused the ruptured disc but I will bet two dollars to a doughnut that it had something to do with working on the Volvo.  I did a lot of heavy lifting singling, moving tires and wheels and building the bed.  I can't think of anything else that would have caused the disc to rupture.  I know several of you reading this have been down the same road with your back.  Please, be careful about what and how you lift.  It really doesn't take much to rupture a disc - especially if you are a member of the "Over-The-Hill" gang.

Having been through this many times, make sure you talk to a spinal orthopedist as well as the neuro surgeon. They do different things and both will focus on different things. For example, the neruo will relieve strain on nerve, chisel out the calcium deposits and sew the disc back up. He does not consider if you need hardware or not. That is the spinal ortho's role.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

"Professor95" - hang in there!

Hope all goes well (I expect it will).  Plan out whatever form of "entertainment" that you may -and can do-  to make your time pass during recovery.  Stick with (minimal) "eight ounce curls" for exercise.

Maybe your former employer (the community college) could find some internet chores to explain what's wrong with:  "Black and White makes a light, and Green is ground the world around"!

Ol Bombero-JC

Edited by Pappy Yokum

Randy...Hope you get immediate relief after surgery!  You won't believe how much happier you'll feel without the chronic pain!! My daughter was 5 and asked "what happened, you're so happy now?"  

Watch those pain meds they push.  T

Too many get hooked.

Both of mine were totally successful (one at 30 and the other at 41) and been going strong ever since.  Still have one more desiccated disc from the parachuting accident that started it all, but it's just causing a numb foot, no pain.

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

Randy, I sure hope the surgery will give you permanent relef from the pain. When the pain is as you describe, surgery is about the only option. I'm sure Nancy and Oscar will take good care of you. I'm praying that you will be good as new when you get to Florida.....just don't overdo it loading stuff for Florida...we can get by with less, if need be.    Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Been through 2 back Surgery's. First one lasted a couple of years. Then back to where it was before. Second one did not work at all. Put up with leg pain for years, that would make you want to cut both legs off.

2 years ago give up and bought a bottle of CBD oil. Been 20 months now with no leg pain. And was told by 3 different DR's. It was Nerve damage, noting we can do. But the CBD oil has worked for me.

Sad part is only took 2 days to have the leg pain go away. I take 1200MG bottle with 30 ML in it. Takes one per month. Best $150.00 per month I have ever given up.

If you need to cough after Surgery. Hold your Stomach with a pillow. Not near the pain, but without holding pressure. Man its like ripping your guts out.

Also when getting up when they allow you to get out of bed. Sit your self up with the Hospital bed. Sure beats trying to get up from a flat bed.

Last thing, make sure you have a good straight back chair when sitting up at home.

Good luck and may this take care of your leg pain. Anyone that has not put up with the leg pain. Has no ideal what it does to you. Back pain is a walk in the park compared to the leg pain.

Edited by Pete Kildow

event.png

• 1 year later...

We filled the pool in 3 years ago.  Wife does some massage, but not like a pro.  Jacuzzi jetted hot tub helps to relax.  Surgery went well and I am now functioning without back pain or strong meds.  Need to be careful as it takes a year or two for the vertebra to fuse.  More concerned about my &%$# prostate.  This getting old is getting old but still better than the alternative - I think.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

Getting old was fun.  It's BEING old that sucks.

2X. I hate to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. You boy's take care. Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

FYI - My Mom is 94.  Still lives independently, drives, does not wear glasses or hearing aids and seems to have all her marbles.  Truth is, she is in many ways in better shape than me at 74.  She has taken good care of herself since day one.  I just wish I had taken better care of myself a half century ago - something you cannot tell an 18 year old and have them listen to and respect what you say.  If you are 18 you will live "forever", Covid masks 😷 and seat belt laws are a government violation of free expression, the Covid virus is a fake, alcohol 🍺 to the point of passing out is "normal".  Marijuana  and similar "light" drugs will do the body no harm, spending hours in the sun to get a tan is healthy, I can quit tobacco any time I want attitude, Big Macs 🍔 for lunch and dinner, sugar 🥤 out the kazoo in soft drinks and foods are the norm, watching hours of TV or being on your "phone" 📱or computer all day, piercing body parts and covering your body with tattoos, and 150 db sound systems 🔊 are all OK.   But they are afraid of lead paint, immunizations 💉, tap water, cars with no air bags, and rabies.  I love my grandchildren, but........😶

P.S. - I'm not at all opinionated. 

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

Randy, after that rant, I believe you and I are the only two sane people left, but I'm not sure about you.......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net