• 1.2k views
  10. What if

• 15 replies
    • 1.3k views
RVers Online University

mywaggle.com

campgroundviews.com

RV Destinations

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

The Rvers- Now Streaming

RVTravel.com Logo

• Topics

• For us - The non affiliated My Grand RV (Grand Design) forum is going pretty well. I think it's growing. Is well maintained, sectioned out into RV models, categories and monitored. Lots of posts on solar, lithium, trucks, problems issues etc and no corporate sponsoring that sensor content. I am there more than here because it relates more to our rig. I stop by here once in awhile to see what's up but don't always post. Agree with what everyone has said. It's just a different mindset with the younger people today and those other social media sites. I refuse to use FB. Yes YouTube is a thing. We have a YouTube channel, "non profit". We post videos about places, parks we goto, things we see and sometimes repairs to our rig. For some it's easier to see a video than to read a forum.  As with all forms of social media today -there is the YouTube crap channels, it's all about # of subscribers or all about profit, or corporate sponsoring, click bait and trashing manufacturers. Just have to pick out what's good and bad. It's all about sorting out the information age. Then again I or we, don't spend all day or a lot of time on social media.
    • Just my thoughts. Yes check and repack the bearings just after purchase. As someone said you don't know how or if they did it correctly during manufacture. Yes generally they say once per year as a standard. But since you only put 2000 miles on the rig, if the bearings were done correctly with a quality grease, you could probably go a couple years between greasing and inspection.  However, grease setting in non rotating bearings can get hard and dry out reducing the lubrication of the bearings when they do start rotating. Then to if you travel in very hot parts of the country, the bearings and grease will get a work out. As someone said you don't want to destroy a hub/spindle because of a seized or overheated bearing, then you will have to change the whole axle. I do ours every year, inspect/repack the bearings and replace the grease seal, and don't forget to inspect the brakes shoes, magnets and drums. Or pads, calipers, spindles in the case of disc brakes. We travel 5000-10,000 miles per year. I use Red-N-Tacky grease and pack by hand, I don't use the EZ-lube hubs. I don't trust anyone else to do it. A too tight or too loose hub nut will destroy the bearings also. It's not hard to do, really no special tools, easy to learn how. It takes a little labor taking the tires off and pulling the drums/spindles but it's worth every minute.
    • The poll results so far is pretty much what I thought, at least for this forum. The majority of people here are mostly retired and probably full time or full time stationary or part time snowbirds, age group 60-79. Younger folks are not thinking full time and so are not interested in Escapee's yet, and a lot of people older than 80 are hanging up the keys because of health or mobility issues. Friends of ours are 85 and still full timers, but don't travel a lot. Others are mid to late 70s and are a little more active traveling. They are not Escapee's members. We at 67/66 are still pups compared to our good friends. We try to meet up once a year too swap stories!
    • I can be reached at nomadic5er @ protonmail dot com We should have pictures posted by May 1. We’ve been moving everything out and into a new home which has kept us pretty busy. 
    • That is a Blue Sea systems, single circuit switch and as the previous post states, it most likely there to isolate the coach battery. In your picture it appears to be mounted on the wall and if it is near the exit door then it ia pretty sure to be for the coach battery. If we are correct, the switch should be in the on position when you are using your coach and turned off when you put it into storage. In the off position you should not have any lights or 12V appliances.