Myth Busters

rickeieio

7 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

So now let’s go back in racing time.

What is the name of the private citizen that took a reverse Offenhauser engine to the Indianapolis 500? 

That must have happened before I got interested in cars and going fast on a 1/4 mile dirt track.  I think I was still being introduced to the opposite sex. 😉

I do remember the man,Johnny Johnson, that ran a "cross-fire Cadillac engine" in unlimited dirt track racing. He had redesigned the engine to fire 2 cylinders at once, sounded strange, but it kept up with the pack.

I agree with watching the boating crowd and applying things to RVing,  one floats the other rolls. Inverters came to the RVing industry from boating.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

So now let’s go back in racing time.

What is the name of the private citizen that took a reverse Offenhauser engine to the Indianapolis 500? 

Smokey! IIRC, it was a matter of ordering the reverse bits.

Now, there is no team based innovation which is a loss to those of us who can spin a wrench. The closest thing, but  it for long, is robot “fighting”.

When I started racing, the rules were typed on one page. But most were doing their own work. There were a few house cars, but with the skinny tires, it was not most $ had the best chance. The person with the Sam Brown belt on was the deciding factor. With no roll bars and needing to work on off days, slide jobs were not a thing, nor was a wad it up - oh well, roll another piece out of the hauler. 

Back to the reverse rotation motors, most inboard ski boats 50 years ago ran reverse rotation motors.  All you needed to do to put your favorite motor in a hull was get a specially ground camshaft and switch the plug wires around.  I helped my uncle put a 392 hemi in a Correct Craft in about 1970.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

The reverse rotation Offenhauser engine was built with the thinking of Smoky Yunick and the factory. If I remember correctly.

And I believe it was run in the Indianapolis 500.

I may be spelling the engine manufacturers name wrong 

44 minutes ago, Wrknrvr said:

Could reverse cam engine, suck the oil out of the engine?

Depends on how the oil pump drive is configured.  All I remember is that we skied behind reverse rotation engines of Mopar, GM and Ford origin.  Of course, this was in a former life, BC (before children).

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Counter rotating engines have been used in aero and marine installations for going on 90 years.     There is no magic to CW/CCW rotation of an engine.     The thrust vector of a propeller is interesting, the Lockheed P-38 used a novel version of this look it up!

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

5 hours ago, noteven said:

My uncle knew a guy who’s friend’s cousin made a 200 mpg carburetor…

Impressive!

A biochemist my ex-wife's neighbor knew, is rumored to be working on an 8 barrel carburetor with pure cannabis injection.  Expectations are very high.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

When I was abducted by aliens, they gave me the solution to cold fusion and artificial gravity.

Then we started drinking tequila and I kinda forgot what they said...

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

7 hours ago, noteven said:

My uncle knew a guy who’s friend’s cousin made a 200 mpg carburetor…

https://www.apparentlyapparel.com/news/200mpg-carburetor-conversion-pdf

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:
On 3/1/2024 at 12:41 PM, Wrknrvr said:

It's simple physics.  There's only so many btu's in a gallon of fuel, and it takes "X" numbers of btu's to make the vehicle go down the road.  Given the inefficiencies of internal combustion and friction, 200 mpg isn't reasonable, with today's technology.  But it's a heck of a lot closer than it was when I first heard those stories.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

• 2 weeks later...

That picture of a spark plug in the air intake, may have some actual thoughts to it.

I was at a shop a few days ago that works on old equipment and hit and miss engines.    He was moving stuff around, and he seen this carburetor in a pile of engine parts.

I will do some more investigating about the idea when we get back home.   We are adventurously traveling around south eastern Montana for a few days.

18 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

That picture of a spark plug in the air intake, may have some actual thoughts to it.

I was at a shop a few days ago that works on old equipment and hit and miss engines.    He was moving stuff around, and he seen this carburetor in a pile of engine parts.

I will do some more investigating about the idea when we get back home.   We are adventurously traveling around south eastern Montana for a few days.

That's the first I ever saw a spark plug added there. When I was in high school I had a spark plug in my cars tail-pipe, let off the gas and flip the switch, KaBOOM. One guy put it in the exhaust pipe and blew his muffler off.

New myth to discuss. Wheel bearings on a trailer need to be repacked every other year.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

New myth to discuss. Wheel bearings on a trailer need to be repacked every other year.

It all depends on how much you move the trailer and the weather conditions during your moves. There is also the consideration of the way you pull. Fast or slow, max carrying capacity or lighter loads. I liked the "Bearing Buddy's" with the grease zert on the cap. A few pumps from the grease gun and you have some new grease inside and hopefully some older stuff pushed out the back. (Be sure to wipe it off and dispose of properly). 

Now what's the consensus on wet bath bearings? Do you change the lube or only add more when you have to replace the seal? 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Probably have real close to 40000 on the trailer in the last 3 years. I only repacked the one when you were here Carl and it looked great. That was after a year and a half. I do check for play in the bearings often and they still feel good. Don’t plan on repacking this year

We bought our 4 y/o trailer in 2015.  Three axle toyhauler, GVW 21k, 8k hubs/bearings.  Unknown history, pull about 5k miles/yr.  I check bearings at least yearly for play, adjust as necessary. 

Until late 2022, I'd needed to adjust 2 (two) bearings.  At that time, I took the trailer to a trusted trailer repair facility, and had a suspension overhaul, along with repacking the bearings.  The mechanic said one wheel had a little dirt in the bearings, all others were still perfect.

Since that time, we've pulled another 10-12k miles.  Trailer got back into the shop today for a going over and bearing check.

So, my opinion is that if you check for play occasionally, and are well below the load capacity of your hubs,  repacking more is a waste of time.

I'll also add, I will not run Bearing Buddys.  They only put grease in the outer bearing, until you eventually fill the cavity inside, before any grease gets to the inner bearings.  When you pull off a hub, is there generally grease in the cavity?  No, because you need that air space for expansion as the hub warms and cools.  Fill that void and when the grease cools, it sucks dirt past the seal.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Posted (edited)

New myth:

Today we moved the trailer into the shop, only latching the hitch, not bothering with electric cord or air lines (BluDot).  It was parked 4 days ago, and when moving it, the brakes were dragging.  After I unhooked, I checked the air tank under the trailer, and found it still had a little pressure.  When we first installed the BluDot, it would leak off in less than a day.  Mystery solved.

So, the question is, should those of us with BluDot dump the air in the trailer tank when parking? 

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Myth part 1: 91 octane gas is better for your modern 8:1 compression ratio generator engine 

but part 2: “87 minimum required” as stated in the owner manual for your almost 400hp 6000rpm computer controlled fuel injected 10.5:1 compression ratio variable valve timing 379 cubic inch etc etc V8 means “recommended” and 91 is a conspiracy between Ford and Big Oil…

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

22 minutes ago, noteven said:

Myth part 1: 91 octane gas is better for your modern 8:1 compression ratio generator engine 

but part 2: “87 minimum required” as stated in the owner manual for your almost 400hp 6000rpm computer controlled fuel injected 10.5:1 compression ratio variable valve timing 379 cubic inch etc etc V8 means “recommended” and 91 is a conspiracy between Ford and Big Oil…

Part 3:  If you're going to store gasoline, buy high octane and put a stabilizer in it.

I can tell you that my 180 hp, 12:1 compression, carbureted motorcycle likes 85 octane in the mountains.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN