Myth Busters

rickeieio

14 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

The 5.7L GM diesel was based off the Oldsmobile gas engine block - Fact.  They even marketed a smaller 4.3 (260") V8 and 4.3 (262") V6 version also off the gas engines.

The 1981 and up 350 DX block and the 1982 and up V6es were mechanically sound engines, with the only remaining "weak link" being the Roosamaster injection pump, but that was the current diesel injection technology in that era.  Had the DX block-based 5.7 V8 and 4.3 V6 been the starting point for the Olds diesel, they'd have avoided the lousy reputation that they earned during those first three years, and they'd likely be regarded as a success.  And had they continued on and evolved into modern, direct-injected engines with HPCR injection systems, turbocharging, and intercooling, they'd probably still be selling the V6 and likely a four cylinder derivative today.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

The 5.7L GM diesel was based off the Oldsmobile gas engine block - Fact. 

That begs the question...how do you define a diesel engine?  If it's, well the block must have a certain weight/HP ratio, you may be right.  They may have used the same block as the gasser, I don't know.  Everything else on that engine was specifically designed to compete with the MB...however poorly it may have been done.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

8 hours ago, spindrift said:

That begs the question...how do you define a diesel engine? 

In generic terms, a diesel is described as compression ignition.  But there are certainly variants.  Heck, even a Cummins ISX and X-15 can be found in spark configuration.  For example, look at all those UPS trucks with CNG tanks.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Speaking of CNG tanks, 

There was a CNG fueled truck that caught fire in L.A. last week, a CNG tank exploded while the fire department was on scene.    Nine firefighters were injured, one in really bad shape.     Video showed the explosion, like an air burst mortar.    I know these trucks are statisticly safe but this was a horrible outcome.

As for Olds diesels, I worked on them at a dealership when they came out.    Used to rebuild 3-5 pumps a day!

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

U.S. satellites travel east to west, but Russian satellites travel west to east.

Personally, I think you're straying a bit too far from the original intent of thus thread.

But for the record, it depends on where the Russian satellite crosses the Equator.  This is a trick question. 

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

9 hours ago, spindrift said:

Personally, I think you're straying a bit too far from the original intent of thus thread.

But for the record, it depends on where the Russian satellite crosses the Equator.  This is a trick question. 

I know a learned person who swears the US/Russian thing is true.  Educated beyond his intelligence?

As to the original intent,  I started the thread, so I can change the rules.😛

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

44 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

I know a learned person who swears the US/Russian thing is true.  Educated beyond his intelligence?

As to the original intent,  I started the thread, so I can change the rules.😛

"Satellites and other spacecraft can orbit with the rotation of the Earth, in the opposite direction of Earth's rotation, or in any other direction! Usually satellites orbit in the direction of Earth's rotation, but there are some satellites that travel in the opposite direction"

https://howthingsfly.si.edu/ask-an-explainer/do-satellites-and-spacecraft-orbit-rotation-earth-or-opposite-way#:~:text=Satellites and other spacecraft can,travel in the opposite direction.

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Hint: one organization pretty much has say ( think flight control ) over the orbits, since that country has the most satellites.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

19 minutes ago, spindrift said:

Corvairs were prone to rolling over.

Only as much as Suzuki Samurais were...

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

18 minutes ago, Av8r3400 said:

Only as much as Suzuki Samurais were...

Porsche and Volkswagen had been using the same swing-axle, rear suspension design.  Ralph Nader stuck his nose where it didn't belong.  My brother and I stuffed a Corvair engine in to our Dad's VW bus.  What a blast it was to drive.

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

11 hours ago, spindrift said:

Porsche and Volkswagen had been using the same swing-axle, rear suspension design.  Ralph Nader stuck his nose where it didn't belong.  My brother and I stuffed a Corvair engine in to our Dad's VW bus.  What a blast it was to drive.

Cool! I installed a Corvair engine and Powerglide automatic transmission in my '68 Westfalia camper conversion VW bus.

Dutch

3 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Cool! I installed a Corvair engine and Powerglide automatic transmission in my '68 Westfalia camper conversion VW bus.

Dutch...do you still have it?

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

12 hours ago, spindrift said:

Corvairs were prone to rolling over.

Aw, those were the days.  No power, no torque.  My “Fred Flintstone” mobile.

nja3NV9l.jpg

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

6 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Aw, those were the days.  No power, no torque.  My “Fred Flintstone” mobile.

nja3NV9l.jpg

GREAT pic.  Before we did the engine swap, you needed everyone in the bus to lean forward in order to get through a headwind.

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

I remember a feature in HotRod magazine about flipping the transaxle over to put a small block in the back seat, making a mid-engine car.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

4 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

How about a reverse rotation Chevy v-8.

I've worked on several of those.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

11 hours ago, spindrift said:

Dutch...do you still have it?

No, the last I saw of it, the fellow that bought it had turned it into garden shed after he laid it on its side in a ditch.

Dutch

6 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

How about a reverse rotation Chevy v-8.

If you know the answer, let’s give it a day to see what can be found.

I had a friend years ago that had twin Chevy V-8's in his boat, one of them was reverse rotation.

Dutch

We have a winner.

The reverse engine was used to counter the force of the regulator engine drive on the prop and propulsion on the water column. When using twin engines in a boat.

At least that was one reason.

Back about 1990 I was in discussions about building a reverse engine for a sprint car.  That idea was to hold the left front wheel on the ground.

The conventional rotation engine lifts the left front wheel of the ground while cornering with power down. 

Since the person I was talking to was a low budget operation and no internet. Things were hard to discover new ideas. So talking was all that was ever accomplished on that subject. Although I do believe that reverse drive small blocks were around then.   When racing cars, who would look at boats.

3 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

When racing cars, who would look at boats.

When building out a van or similar sized vehicle, it is good to look at boats. Those marine folks have solved a lot of problems.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van