Myth Busters

rickeieio

Once during my work years, I ended up on a run that went into Queens NY 5 nights a week, on the directions from dispatch they read to ignore the sign "All Trucks 13.6" must exit" this was a section they called the shelf close to the Brooklyn Bridge and keep going, we also had trailers that were 12.6" just to get thru the tunnels in the city.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

If you're low on DEF, just pee in the tank.

If you do that to your Cummins, turbo boost surges.  I don't know about a Cat.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

11 hours ago, rickeieio said:

If you're low on DEF, just pee in the tank.

If you can pee enough gallonage to make a difference, go for it bud...

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

The different opinions about DEF are intriguing.  I've also heard that you should never get DEF from a commercial pump, and conversely, never from the jugs from a hardware store or auto parts store.  

But, from what I've read, DEF is food grade 32% urea.  Same as the feed stock for commercial liquid nitrogen fertilizer, but more refined and filtered.

But I can't drink enough beer to fill my DEF tank.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

18 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Just make it from high test Jameson whiskey instead of beer and cut it with water...😁😁😁. That should give you enough volume.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

38 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

The different opinions about DEF are intriguing.  I've also heard that you should never get DEF from a commercial pump, and conversely, never from the jugs from a hardware store or auto parts store.  

But, from what I've read, DEF is food grade 32% urea.  Same as the feed stock for commercial liquid nitrogen fertilizer, but more refined and filtered.

Seems to depend on the design of the def system as to what quality def is tolerable.

Our 2 pieces of farm equipment new enough to require def, are much more forgiving than my Peterbilt rv. Once jugs of def have sat here long enough, I dump them into the farm equipment and have not had an issue. But I have to run fresh def (I have found a few suppliers that sell enough volume to never have it on the shelf for but a few days) in the Pete with it's Cummins scr. I have heard far more complaints with def issues in Cummins and Paccar than Detroit or Volvo. But that could be a local thing, I'm at the west coast.

I'm a work'n on it.

9 hours ago, Deezl Smoke said:

Seems to depend on the design of the def system as to what quality def is tolerable.

Our 2 pieces of farm equipment new enough to require def, are much more forgiving than my Peterbilt rv. Once jugs of def have sat here long enough, I dump them into the farm equipment and have not had an issue. But I have to run fresh def (I have found a few suppliers that sell enough volume to never have it on the shelf for but a few days) in the Pete with it's Cummins scr. I have heard far more complaints with def issues in Cummins and Paccar than Detroit or Volvo. But that could be a local thing, I'm at the west coast.

I’m not a chemist but Rick is correct.  DEF is 32.75% urea and and 67.25% deionized water.  Doesn’t matter if it’s the Blue stuff or Walmart brand in my opinion.  You can even purchase urea crystals and make your own if you were so inclined.  The only way I would think it could “go bad” is if evaporation changed that ratio and the solution concentrated.  At some point with evaporation you would begin to see crystal formation so if that occurred would definitely not use it. BTW you can test with one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Antifreeze-Coolant-Refractometer-Automobile-Windshield/dp/B07DLDZFJX/ref=asc_df_B07DLDZFJX/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312184309594&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2222720488000561698&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9013361&hvtargid=pla-568291110880&psc=1&mcid=473b2b43b7003ff6bf7155dfeba59262&gclid=CjwKCAiA44OtBhAOEiwAj4gpOXGYNK9aZKmtMjd-YONuPRd7Z7JuHBAkFjUEYnFlCm6IoMS0fOC1yRoCr0wQAvD_BwE

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

8 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

The only way I would think it could “go bad” is if evaporation

There's another way it can "go bad".  If it gets cold, the nitrogen will crystalize and precipitate out.  Of course, when it warms up again, the crystals will re-enter the solution.

I buy my DEF from a local fuel supplier who serves a lot of commercial vehicles.  Several fleets of PACCAR dump trucks fuel there, so I ought to be good.  The only time I've bought DEF from another source was at a grocery chain fuel station in Hutchinson, KS.  4x the price at a truck stop.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

There are expiration dates on the jugs that you purchase separately.  The manufacturer's make those numbers extremely challenging for the challenged like me to understand. 

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

There's another way it can "go bad".  If it gets cold, the nitrogen will crystalize and precipitate out.  Of course, when it warms up again, the crystals will re-enter the solution.

I buy my DEF from a local fuel supplier who serves a lot of commercial vehicles.  Several fleets of PACCAR dump trucks fuel there, so I ought to be good.  The only time I've bought DEF from another source was at a grocery chain fuel station in Hutchinson, KS.  4x the price at a truck stop.

Rick you’re getting def for a little over a dollar a gallon? 

We get DEF in a 300-gallon tote. I guess I don't know how much it cost. I never see the bill. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

6 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Yep. Though it won't always go back into solution 100%, which is where issues can rise. Letting the container, large or small, sit in the sun can also oxidized the solution.

I've melted a fair bit of dry fertilizers into water over the years. Some exothermic, and some endothermic. Mixing urea with water (in an ag setting) would form a lot of ice outside the vat.

Personally, I'm not as much concerned about the brand of the def, as I am about how long it's been sitting on the shelf,....outside in the weather,....with the box faded and the foil seal compromised because of it.

I'm a work'n on it.

6 hours ago, Danfreda1 said:

Rick you’re getting def for a little over a dollar a gallon? 

No.  In the example above, in Hutch, it was $19/jug.  That's $7.60/gal.  Last DEF I bought was a little over $3/gal, so my math was off a bit.

2 hours ago, Deezl Smoke said:

Personally, I'm not as much concerned about the brand of the def, as I am about how long it's been sitting on the shelf,....outside in the weather,....with the box faded and the foil seal compromised because of it.

Yep, again, in Hutch, the box was faded and tattered.  Seal was intact though.

Luckily, we seem to use about 3/4 tank of def over about 2,000 mi.  I can nearly always fill at my local (trusted) place.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

With the deep freeze hitting us I thought I would bring up fuel jelling. It was -18 with a -45-wind chill here the other day. It has now warmed up to a balmy -6. Luckily, we had no problems here on the farm because we have blended fuel plus, I topped all the equipment off with straight number 1 fuel. 

Does wind chill effect fuel jelling?

1 hour ago, jenandjon said:

Does wind chill effect fuel jelling?

No!  Only the ambient temperature.  For example wind chill will not freeze water in a container if the outside temperature is above 32* but the wind chill might be 15*.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Always run the maximum air pressure stamped on the sidewall of the tire.  T/F?

Depends on if you are always or at least often at maximum weight being carried. 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

4 hours ago, rickeieio said:

False. Tire pressure depends on GAWR.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

10 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I used to believe that. My first trip with the HDT changed that really quick. I had a light 5th wheel. The tires called for 65 lbs. They were getting older, so I ordered new ones they required 85 lbs. I don't remember the load ratings It was too long ago. Anyway, we take off on our first trip with the drive tires all aired up to 110 and 85 on the trailer. That was the roughest miserable trip ever.

Now I'm running 75 in the drive tires, and I have a bigger trailer now the tires say 110. I'm only running 85. 

What brought this myth to the top was when I was checking pressures on the truck yesterday.  Drives say 110 psi.  I aired to 70 psi.  Manufacturer's chart doesn't go so low as to recommend pressure for our load, so rather than risk having a tire come off the bead, I run more air.

I also noted that my steers are only rated for 75 mph at max load and pressure.  We're about 90% of max load, so I feel the occasional blast above that speed to make a clean pass is okay.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

What brought this myth to the top was when I was checking pressures on the truck yesterday.  Drives say 110 psi.  I aired to 70 psi.  Manufacturer's chart doesn't go so low as to recommend pressure for our load, so rather than risk having a tire come off the bead, I run more air.

I also noted that my steers are only rated for 75 mph at max load and pressure.  We're about 90% of max load, so I feel the occasional blast above that speed to make a clean pass is okay.

So I'm not sure if this statement I am making is myth or fact, but IIRC, DOT ratings for tire speed and other applications, are minimum 2x safety rated, possibly 3x. So the 75mph rating at max advertised load, on average, in approved testing environments should not fail until a minimum of 150mph. Now I am certain that temperature and other variables are considered, but in lab testing under guidelines approved by DOT, the 75mph is half or less of "lab test" failure speed.? I honestly do not know, just what I remember "hearing" years back. Likely myth, but....

For no real good reason, I seem to, on average, take my steer tire conditions and pressures more seriously than the drives. IE: I tend to run them, though lower than marked on the tire, higher than what I would run for ride quality. I am lighter on the steers than most here, and much of that is because I am still tandem drive and have some weight behind the drive trunnion.

I'm a work'n on it.