What social media do we use?

Kirk W

What social media do we use?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. There has been much in the news about social media recently so it might be interesting to share what social media formum participants are using, if any?

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Snapchat
    • Instagram
    • LinkedIn
    • WeChat
    • WhatsApp
    • Quora
    • One not listed...
    • I don't participate in any social media.

With all of the discussions about social media, I thought it would be interesting to see what social media we on the forum participate in, if any at all. When I did an internet search I discovered that there are more than 100 of them active, most of which I had never heard of. I attempted to make this poll show those I consider more likely to be used but feel free to add another in the comments. For myself, I only participate in one but I did join Linked a couple of years ago, but left because I didn't find it useful. 

Edited by Kirk W
typo

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I don't participate in any of the listed media any more (personally). I did set up a Facebook Business page this summer, but not sure how it actually works. Never had a comment and could not seem to add "Friends". 

If the rvnetwork is considered social media or my Jeep forum, I do visit them almost daily. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I wasn't using any social media, years ago. but many neighbors had problems which was directly was related to one Social Media Group. I hate to use Google because track me and show history. It seems everyone want to track users. It is okay the the Credit Card Companies to track my usage because I frequently visit the same area/business's and changes can raise a flag.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

9 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Other.= RVing forums, I learn something every visit.

To my surprise, my search for social media did not include any of the public forums. I wonder why? I do have a Facebook account that I started in order to stay in touch with our grandchildren. I have learned how to block most of the trash and am am only active on groups for Escapees, 1 of the sub vet groups, and the James Webb telescope pages. Most of those I am friends with are either Escapees or family. All of the other groups are just names to me and will remain that way. I am active on 2 other RV forums as well. 

49 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

To my surprise, my search for social media did not include any of the public forums. I wonder why? I do have a Facebook account that I started in order to stay in touch with our grandchildren. I have learned how to block most of the trash and am am only active on groups for Escapees, 1 of the sub vet groups, and the James Webb telescope pages. Most of those I am friends with are either Escapees or family. All of the other groups are just names to me and will remain that way. I am active on 2 other RV forums as well. 

I participate in a number of Facebook RV groups.  I find it a good opportunity to "give back."  The level of knowledge on many of those groups is well below what we're used to on forums such as this.  I was rather blown away recently by a person who posted "what's the difference between my gray tank and my black one?"  Quite a few of the people who participate in these groups are folks who live full-time in RVs without any intent at all to travel.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

2 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

But this is a form of social media is it not? 😉

Apparently not since none showed up on Kirk's search. :)

I do read and comment on a number of blogs as well but those weren't listed as social media either.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

7 hours ago, Chalkie said:

But this is a form of social media is it not?

No forums of any type came up in an internet search for social media using two different popular search engines. Each of the searches brought up more than 100 different names and the majority of the names were on both lists but some of the more obscure ones were different, only appearing on one list.

When I went looking for a definition of the term "social media" there was a wide range of definitions and explanations but none listed public forums. Most of them use instantaneous communication or some similar terms.  

Edited by Kirk W

I suspect "social media" is defined by a money-making venture, hence the relatively new term used to describe the most popular/hits people there; they are called "influencers".

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

14 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Forums are considered social media.  I found this and many other links on the subject.

https://sproutsocial.com/insights/types-of-social-media/

You should probably inform the search engines, starting with Google. 😜  I really don't see why they don't but there are differences between we they list and the forums that I am familiar with. Back in the early 90's when they became common they were usually called bulletin boards. One difference that I see is that forums are sponsored by someone on their servers or host sites like this one hosted by Escapees. All of the ones that I participate in have such a host while the social media on the list from Google are stand-alone with their own ownership and management. Most forums are also confined to a specific topic or group of topics. But the answer to whether or not forums are social media is very much debated. The answer depends on who you ask. Since I authored this poll, for the purpose of the poll the forums are not social media.

Social Media Doesn't Mean Public Forums

Are Forums "Social Media" Sites?

Edited by Kirk W
Add information.

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

You should probably inform the search engines, starting with Google. 😜 

I DID use Google to get my link and yes, the many, many other links given by a Google search said forums are social media.

Your two links:  one was from a student; one was from 2008.

Tufts University considers BLOGS, social media.   😜

• "Blogs: A platform for casual dialogue and discussions on a specific topic or opinion."

https://communications.tufts.edu/marketing-and-branding/social-media-overview/

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

16 hours ago, Kirk W said:

When I went looking for a definition of the term "social media" there was a wide range of definitions and explanations but none listed public forums. Most of them use instantaneous communication or some similar terms.  

I think I must be thinking in more broad terms. From Webster's Dictionary:

social media

noun

plural in form but singular or plural in construction

: forms of electronic communication (such as websites for social networking and microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content (such as videos)

That seems to check all the boxes for this forum in my opinion.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

IMO, Wikipedia provides a good description of "social media".

"Social media are interactive media technologies that facilitate the creation and sharing of information, ideas, interests, and other forms of expression through virtual communities and networks.[1][2] While challenges to the definition of social media arise[3][4] due to the variety of stand-alone and built-in social media services currently available, there are some common features:[2]

1. Social media are interactive Web 2.0 Internet-based applications.[2][5]
  2. User-generated content—such as text posts or comments, digital photos or videos, and data generated through all online interactions—is the lifeblood of social media.[2][5]
  3. Users create service-specific profiles for the website or app that are designed and maintained by the social media organization.[2][6]
  4. Social media helps the development of online social networks by connecting a user's profile with those of other individuals or groups.[2][6]

The term social in regard to media suggests that platforms are user-centric and enable communal activity. As such, social media can be viewed as online facilitators or enhancers of human networks—webs of individuals who enhance social connectivity.[7]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_media

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

7 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

I DID use Google to get my link and yes, the many, many other links given by a Google search said forums are social media.

For the purpose of this poll, forums are not included

Edited by Kirk W

Everyone has personal opinions, by definition, a personal opinion cannot be wrong simply because it is your opinion.

I went through that 35 years ago with one of my youngest daughters high school teachers. The teacher assigned her students to write  their opinion on a now forgotten subject.  The teacher gave my daughter an F, saying her opinion was wrong; however that was not the assignment, which was to write an opinion. The High school principal agreed with my view on the matter, and the teacher changed the grade from F to A.

For the purposes of Kirks poll, social media does comply with everyone's opinion. For instance, the Escapees Facebook page is where people ask for and receive RV advice and answers to questions, as well as this Escapees website. Where is the line drawn?

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Since you have to join this forum in order to make a post here, I think that I can safely say that 100% of those responding to the poll do participate in at least 1 public forum. The percentages listed there are off as they are the percent of responses but multiple responses are allowed so the Facebook users are just over 60% (15 of 25) at this time. But there are also 9 of the 25 who use no media other than forums or 39%. There are six respondents who use 1 or more of the others or about 24%. Thus, something on the order of 23% of use are visiting more than 1 internet media site, by any definition. It will be interesting to watch to see if that changes. Nothing scientific about the entire thing, but I suspect that the average age of our active members is a major contributor. 

EDIT/FOOTNOTE:  I just looked at the "Online Users"  and there are currently 57 people looking at the forums and 36 of them are guests with 21 members. Not sure what that means, if anything. 

Edited by Kirk W
Add information.

Circling back to wikipedia,,,  since wikipedia allows public contribution is it not also social media?  And since it allows folks to pile on their opinions, whether proven or not, is it valid?

Is this a "catch 22"?

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

4 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Circling back to wikipedia,,,  since wikipedia allows public contribution is it not also social media?  And since it allows folks to pile on their opinions, whether proven or not, is it valid?

Is this a "catch 22"?

Wikipedia is not a valid source of anything. It may get some things right but in spite of what is says, Mary Richards, a.k.a Mary Tyler Moore, did not live in a studio apartment in a boarding house. Whoever wrote that has no idea of what a boarding house is. Yet I saw that concept (studio apartment in a boarding house) repeated in a book so that author believed it.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van