What social media do we use?

Kirk W

What social media do we use?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. There has been much in the news about social media recently so it might be interesting to share what social media formum participants are using, if any?

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Snapchat
    • Instagram
    • LinkedIn
    • WeChat
    • WhatsApp
    • Quora
    • One not listed...
    • I don't participate in any social media.

49 minutes ago, DanZemke said:

Linda,

No information source is perfect, including Wikipedia.  But in general, I haven't found anything better.

X2

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

52 minutes ago, DanZemke said:

But in general, I haven't found anything better.

For general information on most random subjects, I very much agree. I just made my annual donation to financially support the operation because we use it a lot. 

Since anyone can edit what is there, those who find an error in the information should find a source to document it and then correct that misinformation and list the source, as many do. There have even been a couple of cases that I have done that myself and there was one when I was so sure that Wikipedia was wrong that I did the research to document the change that I planned to make and I discovered that the statement was accurate and I was mistaken! 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I do FaceBook only. And that is a locked down account only friends can see. I turn down most friend requests and only have 97 friends there that I have met and vetted personally. I am not interested in a popularity contest and can be political there. I had an Elvis Impersonator who was military and I hired when we were in Europe and still were pro mobile DJs who asked to friend me there and I did. He reported a post and I was not allowed to use marketplace or post for a month. I turn down about 20 friend requests a week.

I am using these forums less and less as I just don't have time for being online as much as I used to. I am only here for the few friends I know here too. Only a few folks still here have been on longer as I was here at the start before Kirk. I still have a copy of the original forums Birdman made when the forums were small enough to make into a searchable file if anyone is interested. It contains a year or so when it was much smaller and we all had dial up mostly.

We went full time in 1997 and joined SKPs before we left San Antonio for voting rights and mail forwarding. We moved into our fiver full-time in 1997 and were on the road soon after.

Our peer group in Escapees and folks we met on the road who were full-time RVrs were almost all 20 years older than we were at 45 and 43 (Lynn) when we went full time. So many of our close early full time friends are gone and many new ones have taken their place. I am 70 now so my early friends may just be 90 as I am now 70. We were shocked when we went to the Branson CoOp in 2000 and met a friend and fellow SKP there who was full-time who was close to our age and just a couple of years younger. There are many more young full timers today or recently than when we started out.

But there are some old dear friends here.

5ijttmDl.jpg

These forums reflected Joe and Kay Peterson's unconditional love as did the SKP parks and CoOps when we were full-time 1997-2003. 

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

I just made my annual donation to financially support the operation because we use it a lot.

Kirk we agree. And we donate annually to them and just did at the beginning of this year's campaign a month or two ago as well. "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. No one is entitled to their own facts." - Sen. Daniel Moynihan.

I also among other sources use Fact Check.org:

"FactCheck.org is a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania. The APPC was established by publisher and philanthropist Walter Annenberg to create a community of scholars within the University of Pennsylvania that would address public policy issues at the local, state and federal levels."

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

13 hours ago, RV_ said:

I also among other sources use Fact Check.org:

I also use them a lot, but not exclusively. 

Put it to the CRAAP Test:
Currency—Can you find a date of the article or photograph? When was it last updated?
Relevance—Who is the intended audience? How does the source meet your needs?
Accuracy—Is the information supported by evidence? Does it cite other sources?
Authority—Who is the author? What are their credentials?
Purpose—Does the site give facts or opinions? Does it have a clear bias?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 months later...
On 11/24/2022 at 4:05 AM, DanZemke said:

RV and Kirk,

Me too.  And I also choose to do it annually.

Great minds think alike?  🙂

👍Dan I also like to use the very non-partisan Ad Fontes Media rating service who rates media sources, even podcasts, on and offline for whether they lean right or left politically, but more important to me are the reliability ratings. I have posted this here before, check out the link Dan you may find it useful. As well you can look up lesser know media sources not on the main chart free. I find it very useful especially when dealing with folks who hide their link yet excerpt and then when found find that they intentionally left out the part they disagree with when confirmation bias didn't work. Check it out here: https://adfontesmedia.com/about-ad-fontes-media/

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

There are several popular social media platforms that people use, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, LinkedIn, Snapchat, YouTube, and Pinterest. These platforms allow users to create profiles, share content, connect with others, and engage in various forms of communication such as messaging, and commenting. Each platform has its own unique features and audience, catering to different interests and demographics.

On 2/13/2023 at 6:26 PM, RV_ said:

Dan I also like to use the very non-partisan Ad Fontes Media rating service who rates media sources, even podcasts, on and offline for whether they lean right or left politically, but more important to me are the reliability ratings.

I'd never visited the site before and it looks like a useful resource. https://adfontesmedia.com/about-ad-fontes-media/

Thank you!

Edited by DanZemke
clarity

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

11 minutes ago, DanZemke said:

I'd never visited the site before and it looks like a useful resource. https://adfontesmedia.com/about-ad-fontes-media/

Thank you!

I have found it extremely useful. I also research who owns media and news companies. The Washington Times is owned by the Moonies and Murdoch bought the WSJ several years ago, and owns Barron's Investments online, as well as owning the Dow Jones Industrial Averages. And many more.

Ad Fontes is very flexible too in zooming and looking up lesser known on the website.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, kojicraps said:

Sorry for jumping into this old thread, but I stumbled upon your comment and wanted to chime in. I totally agree with you on the importance of researching media ownership. It's eye-opening to discover who's behind the scenes and how it can influence the news we consume.

Welcome to the forums kojicraps. Glad you found my post about Ad Fontes useful. I look forward to your posts.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Why isn't this website on the list?  And I belong to a forum that is for US Navy Chief Petty Officers only.  Why isn't that website on the list?  Both are social media sites.  As for the others...I don't participate in any of them.

Edited by Tulecreeper

CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife (Ret)

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#